• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maxine Waters has flipped her wig

Yeah this just isn’t true. The main driver of donations is tax cuts and corporate welfare. The main drivers of votes are guns, religion, and racism

I would be stunned if the use of Pelosi's name and image hasn't raised well into nine figures for the GOP. She is tried and true,

Booker said to confront Trump officials "with love." Fuck that.

You'd rather have two more Gorsuches to set the laws for the rest of your life than to win with less radically left candidates. That'll show 'em.

Those that followed the VA race closely will likely remember a campaign ad put out by a group supporting Northam that featured a pickup truck chasing down children. The right pulled out their fainting couches and the Dems and the pundits got all worked up fearing that the ad went too far and would incite turnout on the right.

And then the election happened and Northam romped. Not because Republicans didn't turn out, they did! But Dem turnout was crazy. Because people showed up to volunteer, phone bank, etc, and got voters to the polls.

I would bet most people don't know who Maxine Waters is. But she is adored by many, particularly young black people. We should focus on motivating and turning out our own base, not cowering from Trump's.

Those that followed the VA race closely will likely remember a campaign ad put out by a group supporting Northam that featured a pickup truck chasing down children. The right pulled out their fainting couches and the Dems and the pundits got all worked up fearing that the ad went too far and would incite turnout on the right.

And then the election happened and Northam romped. Not because Republicans didn't turn out, they did! But Dem turnout was crazy. Because people showed up to volunteer, phone bank, etc, and got voters to the polls.

I would bet most people don't know who Maxine Waters is. But she is adored by many, particularly young black people. We should focus on motivating and turning out our own base, not cowering from Trump's.

X10000

So much this. One of the biggest problems is that Dems are afraid of the people most likely to support them. Instead of trying to create a progressive big tent that can hold urban black voters, suburban white voters, and rural poor voters, they are looking for “Sista Souljah moments” to establish how centrist they are.

I agree with RJ here. Pelosi and Waters are way too toxic to act as the de facto leader of the Democratic Party.

Booker, Moulton, Gillibrand, Duckworth, Schiff plus a few others would be a much better leader/messenger.

Give me a Duckworth/Moulton ticket in 2020 and the Dems will romp.

I think some of the milquetoast Dems will find their voice if there is a progressive blue wave in 2018.

I think that we all agree that at some point political leaders and ideologies cross the "acceptability" threshold. The problem is just identifying where that threshold is. For instance, in hindsight, it's pretty clear that at some point the Nazis crossed this threshold. Identifying when this happens seems to be a polarizing issue though and a large number of people only seem capable of said identification in hindsight rather than when it is ongoing.

I agree that the rise of Donald and the far right is not equivalent at present to the what the Nazis became, but - as provided above by MHB's tweets - authoritarian/fascist movements have similarities and I also agree that the rise of Donald and the far right is somewhere on this spectrum.

So where do we draw the line? As a society are we only able to do so in hindsight rather than in real time?

TLDR: If Donald did become quite similar to the Nazis would we notice? And if so how long would it take for us to reach a tipping point where most people noticed (just as most people today agree that Nazis are awful)?

Do you millennial dwarves really believe we’re headed toward fascism?

Holy brain washed Batman!

So much this. One of the biggest problems is that Dems are afraid of the people most likely to support them. Instead of trying to create a progressive big tent that can hold urban black voters, suburban white voters, and rural poor voters, they are looking for “Sista Souljah moments” to establish how centrist they are.

I think some of the milquetoast Dems will find their voice if there is a progressive blue wave in 2018.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

No everyone should be swinging. The only way to stop Trump is through sheer numbers and force. Waters’ remarks will motivate more democrats to the polls than it will republicans. The main focus should of course be turn out and issues people care about, but it’s a mistake to demand 100% adherence to some overarching dem strategy (as if that were possible).

Man, you’re in for a big surprise in November

Agreed. I will start the official Republicans for Duckworth/Moulton PAC.

Moulton is a boss.

This explains a lot of it:

Why Aren’t College Students Learning Anything?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/learning-not-priority-for-college-students/

Haha, there is some absolute nonsense in that article. But it does get at an important point: why plenty of college students leave without gaining critical thinking and writing skills. And that is because our culture's obsession with both STEM education and ROI means that fewer students are required to take challenging courses in the humanities and gifted students who would thrive in them are encouraged by parents to pursue ostensibly more lucrative fields.

So Republicans in state legislators are hurting higher education.

Trump has his problems to be sure, which are not inconsiderable. But when you equate or elevate a noisy half-witted absolute diletante fraud such as Maxine Waters above Trump, you have pretty much crossed into TDS neverland. Bon Voyage!

Back