• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maxine Waters has flipped her wig

Right.

Wonder which is a greater threat to our nation and the world?

Nah, not really a mystery.

The only ones with a deranged view of Trump are those not alarmed. Especially fools tending to confuse and conflate criticism of Trump with their own “conservatism” and thus reflexively defend him.

TDS has come to have such a powerful and pervasive grip on the minds of the majority who post here that it is simply not possible to state a balanced, more nuanced, understanding of Trump than the goosestepping TDS sufferers deafeningly scream, without being accused of defending Trump. Any deviance from the dictates of TDS unananimity is deemed anathema and rejected out of hand. This makes any sort of useful sensible discussion of Trump impossible. The discussion is closed, and Trump is in matters great or small always in the wrong - how does he do it? - one must constantly and repeatedly keep chanting this mantra, this obviiously mistaken infantile gibberish that is simply beneath the intellectual and moral dignity of anyone who deigns to think for himself. One must echo the dictates of the TDS mob without fail and without pause.

Right.

Wonder which is a greater threat to our nation and the world?

Nah, not really a mystery.

The only ones with a deranged view of Trump are those not alarmed. Especially fools tending to confuse and conflate criticism of Trump with their own “conservatism” and thus reflexively defend him.

pointing out that Trump is more intelligent than Maxine Waters is faint praise, and we all know about faint praise, or did before TDS

And the only way to stop a bully is to punch them in the mouth.

I am sure this will be extremely effective....

'Can't Wait' (sarcasm) until a bunch of tea party rednecks accost a democratic politician and end up in a physical confrontation. I am sure that will go over just as well. The hypocrisy on both sides is very real. How bout this.....? Bake a cake for whoever comes into your bakery (or open a religious specific bakery that only serves those that have been vetted) and serve everyone who comes into your restaurant (unless you are going to have a political litmus test for every member). All of this is a complete embarrassment for our nation (cue: 'you know who the real embarrassment is?? ITS TRUMP!'....). The fact (and it is a fact) that Trump is a neanderthal shouldn't lower his opposition to the basest level of discourse and behavior.

Saw a great Stephen Colbert interview the other night when I was no sleeping. Chris Matthews was his guest, and while I have never been a specific Chris Matthews fan, this interview gave me a lot of respect for him. The whole interview is great (about 12 minutes), but the last few minutes are especially poignant in my opinion.

I encourage the democratic/liberal posters on this board (which is the vast majority) to take 3 minutes and watch from about the 8:10 mark (or watch the whole thing...it is a really good interview). Matthews is able to be both extremely critical of Trump, and civil about it. As he says in the interview, (paraphrase) 'Democrats need to bring nobility back to this country and remember that we are Americans. We don't have to act like our political enemy.'

[responding to sailor]

Yep.

Possibly your protestations and claims of nuanced and semi-independent thought would be taken seriously if you weren’t so quick to dismiss nearly every posted criticism of Trump as TDS.

Seems more of a defense mechanism for you.

[responding to sailor]

Yep.

Possibly your protestations and claims of nuanced and semi-independent thought would be taken seriously if you weren’t so quick to dismiss nearly every posted criticism of Trump as TDS.

I don't. Check the posts.

Fair challenge especially given that my views on the appropriate response to Trumpist rhetoric is an ever evolving one.

However numbers summed it up pretty well. I almost always support civil discourse in the political arena (Frum's argument) therefore I am most appalled and bothered by the hypocrisy of Trump supporters (from the top down) who haven't said a peep about their own movement in the past two years. Add in the fact that their rhetoric is more frequent, more violent, and more damaging to cultural/constitutional norms than anything coming from the left (especially among elected officials and those running for office)...the hypocrisy is even more maddening.

Trump's base and the media (in an effort to show balance) are falsely portraying the transgressions of both sides as equivalent when one is far far worse. This isn't right.

Final thought:
The center/left anti-trump coalition will never out-trump Trump so we should be wary of fighting on his turf by parroting his calls for violence, juvenile name calling and racist rhetoric. It's not a natural fit and it will play into their hands.

That being said, I have no problem with the center/left (the majority of the country) acting as a check against this President - especially since Congress has largely abdicated its responsibility here. And especially since we are beginning to deal with more severe issues of human rights.

Trump has also completely re-written the rules of political discourse (for the worst) so we're going to need to evolve. I'm not sure what exactly that should look like but private citizens refusing to serve the White House's Chief Propagandist (who uses our tax money to lie to our faces on a daily basis) is okay with me. Harassment and threats are not.

I was with you until the end. Political litmus tests for being a business owner is a very poor road to travel. I completely agree that Trump, the right, those who support him, etc... are MORE to blame for the digression in discourse. There is no doubt. It is infuriating to me as a conservative (not even sure I can call myself Republican right now based on the public discourse). That doesn't excuse poor behavior on the Dems. Both sides can be to blame with one side sharing a larger responsibility for that blame (in this case the Republicans for electing and maintaining support for Trump).

If there has ever been a time for a third party in our country, now is the moment. The problem is that instead of trying to find a middle ground that the majority of Americans could get on board about (I honestly believe that ground is available), both sides are retreating deep into their corners (in large part because Trump is extremely effective with his rhetoric. He is pushing both sides to the fringes just as he intended to, and the left is playing right into his hand imo.)

Trump, unlike Obama and GWB is deserving of nearly all the criticism he receives. It’s not deranged to see and say that he’s a despicable human being.

And it’s not stooping to his level to truthfully call him out. Since most of the insults he spews are filled with lies.

Republicans and Trump defenders and sycophants also should watch that Chris Matthews interview.

It looks like the Democrats have pulled out their old 1972 playbook and are going to run it again to see if they can get a different result this time.

I remember that one well. I played the part of MDMH in it. A joyous time in my life as I organized a motley crew of about 20 people to attend caucuses and defy the local Democratic establishment (pissing off a local banker by denying him a delegate spot to the Miami convention & replacing him with an 18-year old Davidson student who would vote to seat the California delegation which would secure the nomination for McGovern)….. convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that 1) we were morally right; 2) we were going to win; and 3) we were going to change the world forever.

Oh, to be a naïve 25-year old WF grad was such a wonderful thing at the time. It was truly intoxicating stuff.

Man, you’re in for a big surprise in November

Doubtful. Barring anything crazy, Dems will take the House but probably not the Senate. Not sure it makes sense to bar anything crazy though since Trump and Russia create huge range of variability.

Mueller’s investigation could turn up something that suburban republicans won’t ignore. Trump could take some authoritarian action that directly impacts his voters. (Swinging results towards Dems).

Or Russia could hack the election, Republican media could control the narrative enough to scare reluctant voters to the polls, or Trump could go full authoritarian (though I think he saves that til 2020) (swinging results towards Dems).

It looks like the Democrats have pulled out their old 1972 playbook and are going to run it again to see if they can get a different result this time.

I remember that one well. I played the part of MDMH in it. A joyous time in my life as I organized a motley crew of about 20 people to attend caucuses and defy the local Democratic establishment (pissing off a local banker by denying him a delegate spot to the Miami convention & replacing him with an 18-year old Davidson student who would vote to seat the California delegation which would secure the nomination for McGovern)….. convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that 1) we were morally right; 2) we were going to win; and 3) we were going to change the world forever.

Oh, to be a naïve 25-year old WF grad was such a wonderful thing at the time. It was truly intoxicating stuff.

Unwavering certitude.

Some things never change.

[responding to sailor]

Yep.

When it comes to actual Trump policies, he hasn’t researched them enough to form an opinion. But any criticism of Trump policies is 100% due to TDS.

The only trump supporter on here who actually defends and argues in favor of trump policies is thereff. Imagine that. The rest of them just post whataboutist owning the libs bullshit. Gutless.

When it comes to actual Trump policies, he hasn’t researched them enough to form an opinion. But any criticism of Trump policies is 100% due to TDS.

actually, you don't seem to have read (much less understood) many of my posts, probably because for you it is much easier to criticise them that way

Your infrequent and tepid critiques of Trump gaffes are posted with the courage and outspokenness of Paul Ryan. Please forgive me for not remembering these needles in the haystack of your TDS trolling.

As I said, anybody who supports Trump has zero credibility to criticize liberals for being rude, crass, harsh, etc. It's almost comical to listen to people who support a guy who has said and done all of the things Trump has done, and who support all of his minions and all of the things they have done or said, now try to lecture liberals on the need to be dignified and respectful in their political behavior. That ship sailed the moment Trump descended the stairs and declared his candidacy by calling Mexicans rapists. Good Lord, the man just tweeted crude and inaccurate attacks on a restaurant because they privately asked his press secretary to leave, while his own hotels and resorts have been cited for health violations numerous times. And he's not an anonymous restaurant owner or student protestor, but the freaking POTUS. And most conservatives not only don't condemn this behavior, but privately seem delighted by it. Yet, it's liberals who are lowering our national discourse by privately asking Trump cabinet officials to leave a restaurant. Glass houses, indeed.

actually, you don't seem to have read (much less understood) many of my posts, probably because for you it is much easier to criticise them that way

what are your thoughts on Trump fans throwing feces at a small business owner's establishment

Back