• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maxine Waters has flipped her wig

Statehood for DC and PR definitely need to be on the Dem agenda.

Because there are huge inequities in the representation different Americans have in Congress and the electoral college. That would be one way to address them.

See the video of the OWG berating a woman for wearing a PR flag shirt in America. Would that happen if she was wearing a shirt with an Alaska or Wyoming flag? Of course not.

What’s the argument against statehood? That’s just how it’s been and 50 is a nice clean number?

That’s only been the case for about 60 years. We had a flag with 49 stars. We can make a flag with 52.

Last edited:
people realize it's pretty difficult to be added as a state, right. at this point you'd need both houses and the white house.

Last edited:
Uh yeah. It’s pretty difficult to do most things in a platform especially ones that are the right thing to do to protect those without power.

DC as a state will likely happen in the next 10 years. It just makes sense that the nation's capital should have representation in the federal government.

Puerto Rico is a much more difficult thing to predict, though I think eventually it will happen. There is a lot of history surrounding Puerto Rico's statehood and it will end up being a hot button topic in PR and in the US as a whole, but I think that there is enough momentum for that in the next decade or two for statehood to happen.

If/when PR becomes a state, though, the question then moves to whether other territories should be able to receive statehood if they wish (e.g., Guam).

DC as a state will likely happen in the next 10 years. It just makes sense that the nation's capital should have representation in the federal government.

Puerto Rico is a much more difficult thing to predict, though I think eventually it will happen. There is a lot of history surrounding Puerto Rico's statehood and it will end up being a hot button topic in PR and in the US as a whole, but I think that there is enough momentum for that in the next decade or two for statehood to happen.

If/when PR becomes a state, though, the question then moves to whether other territories should be able to receive statehood if they wish (e.g., Guam).

I think Puerto Rico statehood is much more likely than DC over the next 10 years. DC's status is dependent on a Dem congress, likely a super-majority, because Republicans will do everything possible to avoid giving DC two Dem senators and a Dem congressperson (probably in perpetuity). On the other hand, PR is pretty religious and more socially conservative than average, by most accounts. I could see enough Republicans getting on board (like 4 or 5) with granting PR statehood, especially if a few would be trying to distance themselves from the administration's colossal fuck up. It'd still have to be approved by the President though, so :noidea:

I'm in favor of both receiving statehood ASAP.

Last edited:
I may be wrong about this, but I generally thought that PR's status (self governing territory, not a state) was because they didn't want to be a state. That has likely changed with the hurricanes/devastation last year, but that was my impression of their attitudes historically

to run as a main piece of the platform? yeah, i don't think that's going to excite many non DC/non puerto rican migrants

to run as a main piece of the platform? yeah, i don't think that's going to excite many non DC/non puerto rican migrants

It's all about messaging (which, granted, Democrats suck at). If you can push the message that getting statehood for DC and PR is part of a greater plan to stop the minority rule of our country, I think you can get Democrats behind it from across the spectrum.

Again, that is banking on the idea that Democrats can win their half-century long battle against poor messaging, but it's possible.

it's a naked power-grab move that serves fairly narrow interests for a win. fine, but it also seems like something that is bound to turn against the progenitors of the idea, like liberals arguing that the First Amendment applies to fucking everything

it's a naked power-grab move that serves fairly narrow interests for a win. fine, but it also seems like something that is bound to turn against the progenitors of the idea, like liberals arguing that the First Amendment applies to fucking everything

Sure, there are huge benefits to Democrats if DC and PR were granted statehood. There is no denying such a thing (though if it were beneficial to the GOP, they sure as shit would deny it). But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Plus, it forces the GOP to come out against it and tell residents of DC and PR that they aren't deserving of representation in Congress and that their voices don't matter, which is another message that plays well across the entire nation.

i think GOP probably gains seats by scaring voters with the images of hordes of beltway elitists and brown people reducing the voting power of original 50 staters

what i'm saying is that it's definitely something that should happen but im not sure it's the best play to make it part of a major election cycle

Dude, I'll bet somebody $20 that NEITHER DC or Puerto Rico is a state ten years from today and that NEITHER has been approved to become a state ten years from today.

Back