• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore joining Washington Wizards summer league team

Ok, but since it is purely a matter of opinion regarding appropriate decorum directed at two young men who probably made a bad decision, I don’t think there is any way to “prove” anyone right or wrong.

The reason I brought it back up was to poke fun at the posters that claimed that Moore and Crawford made a good decision and that it was impossible for me to make a judgement on their decision because it wasn’t my decision to make. Essentially no decision is good or bad only preference (which is a really shallow view of wisdom).

Sucks for the guys. My commenting on it is pretty pointless compared to their own scrambled reality right now. They should have listened to their coaching staff. Instead they are going to learn a tough lesson.

Who said they made a good decision?

We really don't know if they made good decisions or not. We don't know what type of money they will make this year; we don't know if they have lifetime scholarships, and we don't know whether or not they were miserable at Wake.

I am not sure what exactly happened over the summer that proved anything one way or another. I think we pretty much all knew that they weren't going to make the NBA. They probably knew that too.

We really don't know if they made good decisions or not. We don't know what type of money they will make this year; we don't know if they have lifetime scholarships, and we don't know whether or not they were miserable at Wake.

I am not sure what exactly happened over the summer that proved anything one way or another. I think we pretty much all knew that they weren't going to make the NBA. They probably knew that too.

yes

The reason I brought it back up was to poke fun at the posters that claimed that Moore and Crawford made a good decision and that it was impossible for me to make a judgement on their decision because it wasn’t my decision to make. Essentially no decision is good or bad only preference (which is a really shallow view of wisdom).

Sucks for the guys. My commenting on it is pretty pointless compared to their own scrambled reality right now. They should have listened to their coaching staff. Instead they are going to learn a tough lesson.

Ok, so you were directing your mocking tone at other posters not these former players...? That’s totally fine and I, in fact, encourage that.

As far as the quality of their decision, it was probably a bad decision and it is highly likely that in 5 years or less they will come to regret the decision financially and academically. But it is still valid to say that we don’t know what their objectives were in making the decision, that is, why they left. With out knowing that, it is hard to say that the decision was, with out a doubt, bad.

Can we say it was 98+% a bad decision?

This is especially true for Doral. This was a terrible year for Doral to enter the draft. The most basic reason was there so many talented bigs in the draft. Even if he had the same year next year he had this year, his chancesa of being drafted were much, much greater after next year.

Lots of people have defended their decisions and mercilessly mocked the people here who said they made stupid decisions.

Find quotes.

The people who got mocked are people like Wrangor and DC who swore up and down Moore and Crawford would return to Wake. And that’s only because they mocked people who thought Moore and Crawford would stay in.

Agree. The quality of their decisions depends upon their priorities and their actions going forward.

There were lots of people, including PhDeac, who argued things like, you couldn't say it was a bad decision because getting paid seemed like a better plan than playing for Manning/in a bad system/on a bad team.

It was a horrible decision. Even assuming for the sake of argument they disliked Manning, they still made a bad decision for their own career and life. That's objective. The article on the Wake TBT team had quotes from a bunch of former players returning to campus and working out in the facilities saying they didn't know how good they had it because playing internationally, you don't have facilities like this. Going pro early for the NBA makes sense because of the millions involved. Going pro early for the chance of maybe making $100k in Turkey, ehhhhh.

This part is reading the tea leaves, I'm pretty sure Doral liked Manning but thought he could go early. I have a feeling the staff had soured on Crawford and vice-versa. And I get the sense that Crawford wasn't putting the work in that was requested of him (and of all players).

Find quotes.

The people who got mocked are people like Wrangor and DC who swore up and down Moore and Crawford would return to Wake. And that’s only because they mocked people who thought Moore and Crawford would stay in.

Good lord, you must be kidding? I (and others) spent pages here defending our position that Crawford and Moore made stupid decisions and would have been better off staying a year and completing their degree, etc. etc. This was in the face of people attacking us for saying that and taking the opposite position. I know you were here and probably part of it all so to act now like that didn't happen is really weird.

Just because I understand a decision and why someone made it doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a bad one from my perspective.

Feel free to find quotes that show otherwise.

The real story is many of us started the moving through Stages of Grief when Moore and Crawford announced so we had already made it to Acceptance by the time they declared. Others got stuck at Denial until they declared and now are in Anger.

Just because I understand a decision and why someone made it doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a bad one from my perspective.

This. Laying out reasons the decision may have been made or even arguing that there are good reasons for why they may have made the decision isn't the same as arguing it was definitely the right decision. None of us know if it's the right decision, which is the entire point of presenting alternate viewpoints to the declarative "they are assuredly morons for leaving school" crowd.

Good lord, you must be kidding? I (and others) spent pages here defending our position that Crawford and Moore made stupid decisions and would have been better off staying a year and completing their degree, etc. etc. This was in the face of people attacking us for saying that and taking the opposite position. I know you were here and probably part of it all so to act now like that didn't happen is really weird.

this misses the point like palin's defense after the recent sasha baron cohen interview.

OK, what point is that?

oh-for-fucks-sake.jpg

I didn’t see anything wrong with Wrangor’s post. I check this thread to hear how they’re doing. Apparently, it is not going well. Leaving early looks like a bad idea.

Back