• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tulane Game

WFU1977

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of N.O. but am seriously considering making the trip for the Tulane game. It has been about 25 years since I was last there and I was not sober at the time. So, a few questions:

1. Is the Tulane stadium on campus or do they play in the Dome?
2. What are the best restaurants nowadays? Years ago we went to Brennan's and Commander's Palace. Have no idea if they are still desired or whether there are much better places?
3. As an old fart, I am not into the French Quarter. Any suggestions for other sites to see?
4. Any one know where the team will be staying?

Thanks for any input and hope we are not the only ones going!

I am not a big fan of N.O. but am seriously considering making the trip for the Tulane game. It has been about 25 years since I was last there and I was not sober at the time. So, a few questions:

1. Is the Tulane stadium on campus or do they play in the Dome?
2. What are the best restaurants nowadays? Years ago we went to Brennan's and Commander's Palace. Have no idea if they are still desired or whether there are much better places?
3. As an old fart, I am not into the French Quarter. Any suggestions for other sites to see?
4. Any one know where the team will be staying?

Thanks for any input and hope we are not the only ones going!

I was there last fall for a conference, including Halloween. The French Quarter was crazy....even more than normal.
Bourbon Street - the actual street - wa sunder major construction, so it was a mess and a pain trying to walk around.
However, if you're in NO, you should try it.
Loads of nice restaurants in the area without going into the heart of the FQ.
We went to Brennan's. It was good. Good drinks and entertainment.

The wife gave me a choice between Wake-Tulane or LSU-'Bama. I picked the game in November. Emeril has a nice place in the warehouse district. August, which is across the street from the Windsor Court hotel (not sure of the street) is great. If you go into the quarter, GW Fins has great food at reasonable prices. NOLA is good for lunch and brunch. If you can, get to Willie Mae's scotch house in the ninth ward,has the world's best fried chicken. The Butter bean are great too. There will be a line for lunch. I can't wait for November.

The wife gave me a choice between Wake-Tulane or LSU-'Bama. I picked the game in November. Emeril has a nice place in the warehouse district. August, which is across the street from the Windsor Court hotel (not sure of the street) is great. If you go into the quarter, GW Fins has great food at reasonable prices. NOLA is good for lunch and brunch. If you can, get to Willie Mae's scotch house in the ninth ward,has the world's best fried chicken. The Butter bean are great too. There will be a line for lunch. I can't wait for November.

76 - just a thought. If you became a polygamist and married another wife, or more, each one could allow you to go to a game. If you had enough wives, you could see them all.
On second thought, never mind.

76 - just a thought. If you became a polygamist and married another wife, or more, each one could allow you to go to a game. If you had enough wives, you could see them all.
On second thought, never mind.
One is enough!

Tulane plays at Yulman Stadium on campus (opened 3-4 years ago, capacity 30,000). The Tulane campus is on St. Charles Ave., 4 miles from the French Quarter. Stay downtown, no rental car necessary. Hotels in the downtown area near French Quarter are very inexpensive for whatever reason; we are at a Marriott on St. Charles at the French Quarter for $100 per night, down the street is another Marriott property with free breakfast for $83/night. Saw similar rates at other chains; these rates came from my American Airlines account, but other discount sites should show very inexpensive prices. Tickets to the game are $30 each, transportation from airport to downtown (11-12 miles) on airport bus is $2.00 ($1.00 if age 65). The best way to the stadium is on the St. Charles streetcar, $1.25 one way, less for seniors. It stops at the entrance to the Tulane campus. We thought we had experienced enough of N.O.; however the tipping point for us is the National World War II Museum , which is now the No. 1 tourist attraction in New Orleans. Located on a 6-acre campus downtown (Magazine Street), it contains 6 buildings with exhibits from the war along with other attractions which may be purchased outside the general admission ticket, such as the Stage Door Canteen with dinner and show, Tom Hanks' "Beyond All Boundaries" and several other extras. One can even ride a PT-305, the only one that has been restored as it was in WWII. This is our least expensive trip for an away game ever.

I nominate RCKCEK for best first post of the year.

Tulane plays at Yulman Stadium on campus (opened 3-4 years ago, capacity 30,000). The Tulane campus is on St. Charles Ave., 4 miles from the French Quarter. Stay downtown, no rental car necessary. Hotels in the downtown area near French Quarter are very inexpensive for whatever reason; we are at a Marriott on St. Charles at the French Quarter for $100 per night, down the street is another Marriott property with free breakfast for $83/night. Saw similar rates at other chains; these rates came from my American Airlines account, but other discount sites should show very inexpensive prices. Tickets to the game are $30 each, transportation from airport to downtown (11-12 miles) on airport bus is $2.00 ($1.00 if age 65). The best way to the stadium is on the St. Charles streetcar, $1.25 one way, less for seniors. It stops at the entrance to the Tulane campus. We thought we had experienced enough of N.O.; however the tipping point for us is the National World War II Museum , which is now the No. 1 tourist attraction in New Orleans. Located on a 6-acre campus downtown (Magazine Street), it contains 6 buildings with exhibits from the war along with other attractions which may be purchased outside the general admission ticket, such as the Stage Door Canteen with dinner and show, Tom Hanks' "Beyond All Boundaries" and several other extras. One can even ride a PT-305, the only one that has been restored as it was in WWII. This is our least expensive trip for an away game ever.

Thanks for the info. We are actually headed down the weekend before the game, and booked a high end hotel in the French Quarter for about $130 per night. We will tour the WW2 museum on Sunday and then head up to Vicksburg for a few days touring the national battlefield. Then back to NO for the game. Should be a great trip and we will get our fill of Cajun/Creole food for sure.

Vicksburg is really interesting, but one day will pretty much cover it.

Throwing in a touch of Natchez too.

Clarification regarding ground transportation from airport to downtown: The $2.00 fare quoted is for Jefferson Transit; however this company does not operate their E-2 bus on weekends to downtown. Only options on weekends is a cab ($36 for two plus $15 for each additional passenger) and N.O. Airport Shuttle ($24 per person). Unless one is traveling alone, the cab is the better option for most and will get you to your destination much quicker. I did not wish to confuse anyone about the $2.00 fare.

Thanks for the info. We are actually headed down the weekend before the game, and booked a high end hotel in the French Quarter for about $130 per night. We will tour the WW2 museum on Sunday and then head up to Vicksburg for a few days touring the national battlefield. Then back to NO for the game. Should be a great trip and we will get our fill of Cajun/Creole food for sure.

Make sure you see the USS Cairo, a union gunboat that they're restoring. It's at the north end of the Vicksburg battlefield park. If driving down, try the Natchez Trace. One of the prettiest drives there is.

This will be a very interesting opener for the Deacs. I look for the Deacs to win it in a high scoring game, something like 42-28, but it will not be locked in for us until the mid-4th quarter.

The Green Wave are predicted by Phil Steele to have a chance to go 6-6 and get to a bowl, but are only picked 5th in the West in the average AAC behind Memphis, Navy, Houston & Tulsa. Coach Willie Fritx returns 9 starters on offense [similar to the Deacs] and they have a prolific QB in Jonathan Banks. 4 of 5 OL return, both WR's return. So expect Tulane to score. But also expect the Deacs to score & score & score as their D is weak & only has 5 returning starters. The Deacs have much more depth and that will win out in the 4th quarter.

This is a great game for our new starter to get his sea legs, come out a winner and take control of his team for the rest of the year.

This will be a very interesting opener for the Deacs. I look for the Deacs to win it in a high scoring game, something like 42-28, but it will not be locked in for us until the mid-4th quarter.

The Green Wave are predicted by Phil Steele to have a chance to go 6-6 and get to a bowl, but are only picked 5th in the West in the average AAC behind Memphis, Navy, Houston & Tulsa. Coach Willie Fritx returns 9 starters on offense [similar to the Deacs] and they have a prolific QB in Jonathan Banks. 4 of 5 OL return, both WR's return. So expect Tulane to score. But also expect the Deacs to score & score & score as their D is weak & only has 5 returning starters. The Deacs have much more depth and that will win out in the 4th quarter.

This is a great game for our new starter to get his sea legs, come out a winner and take control of his team for the rest of the year.

Newman will have his first opportunity to "Wally Pipp" Hinton.

Newman will have his first opportunity to "Wally Pipp" Hinton.

Exactly! Get those first 3 games under his belt, get his mojo going in the first 2 especially when he sees the fire power this offense has and all these weapons. The read option that Wolford got going so well in the 2nd half of the season. This is a "plug & play" offense with 3 really good RB's that have inside power & now outside speed with Christian Beal. WR's & slots are all experienced and Scotty Washington along with Sage Surratt give us the tall 6'4" receivers that top teams have that tower over corners. We all know what Dortch brings as a game breaker. All we need is a good consistent TE to develop.

S&P has Tulane at 95th in the country (Wake is 34th) and just under 5 projected wins. Their offense should be good and their defense should be terrible.

Back