• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC: Death of a Once Great City

The real solution is to make smaller markets and rural areas more viable places to live.

No it isn’t. Culturally, rural America has its niche, but rural lifestyles are very resource inefficient and do disproportionate environmental damage.

The answer is to decomodify housing, for which the political will is virtually nonexistent.

No it isn’t. Culturally, rural America has its niche, but rural lifestyles are very resource inefficient and do disproportionate environmental damage.

The answer is to decomodify housing, for which the political will is virtually nonexistent.

I'll bite. Explain what you mean by "decomodify housing."

Austin is an absolute clusterfuck of high rise condos, bullshit hotels, and parking lots where once brilliant local restaurants and dive bars once stood . I'm sure catamount loves this stuff though. Probably lives in one of those high rises.
Nope, just moved a little out of town to a lake house on lake Austin, down past 360 bridge a little bit. I was unaware that Austin is struggling from a lack of dive bars, based on the amount of time I spend in them.

Nope, just moved a little out of town to a lake house on lake Austin, down past 360 bridge a little bit. I was unaware that Austin is struggling from a lack of dive bars, based on the amount of time I spend in them.
Sounds nice, and expensive. Where did you live before you moved?

What kind of dive bars are you talking about? For me, a good dive has to have some history in the neighborhood, not just a shitty bar slapped up on Rainey Street.

Sounds nice, and expensive. Where did you live before you moved?

What kind of dive bars are you talking about? For me, a good dive has to have some history in the neighborhood, not just a shitty bar slapped up on Rainey Street.

I lived in the Brentwood neighborhood. Typically we go to Barflys or Aristocrats just because they’re close by.

Last edited:
I lived in the Brentwood neighborhood. Typically we go to Barflys or Aristocrats just because they’re close by.

Like north of North Loop?

Barflys is definitely a proper dive bar. Never been to Aristocrat but looks plenty divey. But Burnet is so fucking far from downtown (central?) austin it's not suffering from destructive gentrification in the same way. Like those bars are in no danger of being knocked down for condo construction.

Gotta say that this dive bar discussion is bordering on pretentious.

Gotta say that this dive bar discussion is bordering on pretentious.

Agreed. Only millennials can argue that their bars aren't shitty enough to be cool. If you don't think there are enough shitty bars in your neighborhood, go open one up, try to stay afloat off selling $1 PBRs, and then say fuck you to The Man when he offers you $100k to buy out your month-to-month lease that you've defaulted on 8 times in 2 years.

Agreed. Only millennials can argue that their bars aren't shitty enough to be cool. If you don't think there are enough shitty bars in your neighborhood, go open one up, try to stay afloat off selling $1 PBRs, and then say fuck you to The Man when he offers you $100k to buy out your month-to-month lease that you've defaulted on 8 times in 2 years.

It's not the shittyness of the bar that gets called into question, It's the vibe of the bar that makes it. I don't like drinking beer in a bar that was built in 20 minutes on the first floor of some cookie cutter condo or corporatized building complex, i'd rather stay at home. I like drinking in establishments that feel like they were constructed for grown ass men to have a drink, and in a place that's part of the culture and neighborhood in which it is located.

If you want heartless corporate charms with $10 shitty drinks that are poured with light hands from a bartender that could give no fucks, more power to you.

heart = linoleum and wood paneling, 20+ of lazy cleaning and ancient promo-posters with a layer of smoke grease

It's not the shittyness of the bar that gets called into question, It's the vibe of the bar that makes it. I don't like drinking beer in a bar that was built in 20 minutes on the first floor of some cookie cutter condo or corporatized building complex, i'd rather stay at home. I like drinking in establishments that feel like they were constructed for grown ass men to have a drink, and in a place that's part of the culture and neighborhood in which it is located.

If you want heartless corporate charms with $10 shitty drinks that are poured with light hands from a bartender that could give no fucks, more power to you.
Ooh, well said. Maybe you don't want to live in a condo tower after all

2dohkj.jpg

Company softball game tonight in Central Park, followed by beers at a dive bar.

I’ll be sure to report back on how much heart it has.

Not feeling optimistic since we let the millennials choose the bar.

FWIW, NYC feels the same as it always has to me. It’s great in small doses, but there are reasons I moved down south and never went back.

There are plenty of places to live in NYC regardless of how much you make, but there are gives and takes. I'm looking at moving now, and there is a ton of stuff across the board in the upper west side where the writer of this article lives. There are also still plenty of dive bars, if that was a doubt.

Also, softball in central park is pretty cool, for someone from the hillbilly south, still doesn't get old.

Back