• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC: Death of a Once Great City

just not true

Defs is bro. Its never going to be as cheap as smaller cities or rural areas, but its definitely possible - all really depends on what you can or cannot live without. Cheap rents come with no amenities, no elevator, window air, higher crime areas, lower rated schools - buts thats the same across the board.

Softball in Central Park was fun.

Went to Dorrian’s after. It was fine. Wings were good. Beer was cold. So much heart.

I’m ready to return to Atlanta now.

Defs is bro. Its never going to be as cheap as smaller cities or rural areas, but its definitely possible - all really depends on what you can or cannot live without. Cheap rents come with no amenities, no elevator, window air, higher crime areas, lower rated schools - buts thats the same across the board.

This just isn’t true. I guess technically you could live out past Jamaica in Queens, in one of the off-train Bay hoods in Brooklyn, or in the northeast Bronx, but I lived in the city for 5 years, left 5 years ago, and what you said was barely true then. I mean, shit, East New York, Soundview, and Brownsville are starting to gentrify.

It’s really hard to live a nice life in a city where a nice apartment is $4k+ a month unless you make stupid money :noidea:

And it may work if you’re solo with roommates or a couple and splitting rent, but defs doesn’t work out for families.

It’s really hard to live a nice life in a city where a nice apartment is $4k+ a month unless you make stupid money :noidea:

A working couple in the city should be able to afford a 4K apartment without making “stupid” money. Probably why market value of the apartments have reached those levels.

if you go by the 30% rule, a $48k/year for an apartment means you need a $145k, right? $70k/partner in a working couple situation seems like a big ask for most people

a classic OGBoards 'let them eat cake' comment

Meh, the subways are so good you can get from not-the-best neighborhoods to nicer hoods pretty damn quickly.

Meh, the subways are so good you can get from not-the-best neighborhoods to nicer hoods pretty damn quickly.

i read this and was like:

u4GKcKg.jpg

Plus there’s “afford” and then there’s what you should realistically spend on something, which makes 4K a month even nuttier.

Smaller towns are not immune. Service industry workers in Colorado mountain towns have 1+ hour commutes. Telluride is struggling to build enough affordable housing for the workers.

Bro, just live in Big Billies like the rest of us did (unless you have a family then its not allowed). I often reminisce about my mountainside apt, as I sit in a cubicle in the District.

You don't even need 4k per month. Upper West Side 2 and 3 bedrooms in a walkups are $2-$3kish. Not saying that's cheap or something, but it's affordable for this neighborhood and school district.

There are plenty of affordable places in Brooklyn or Queens too - Bushwick, Greenpoint and LIC are all close to manhattan and all have plenty of places - they aren't great parts of town, but it's easy to get anywhere.

Even at nyc minimum wage, a 2 worker household can afford a place in one of the borough's. The idiocy of this article is a person lamenting about finding an affordable place in the highest rent zip codes in the world - move half a mile away, there are options. It would be the same as someone in the burbs complaining about not being able to afford to live in s gated community - there are plenty of places close by.

You don't even need 4k per month. Upper West Side 2 and 3 bedrooms in a walkups are $2-$3kish. Not saying that's cheap or something, but it's affordable for this neighborhood and school district.

There are plenty of affordable places in Brooklyn or Queens too - Bushwick, Greenpoint and LIC are all close to manhattan and all have plenty of places - they aren't great parts of town, but it's easy to get anywhere.

Even at nyc minimum wage, a 2 worker household can afford a place in one of the borough's. The idiocy of this article is a person lamenting about finding an affordable place in the highest rent zip codes in the world - move half a mile away, there are options. It would be the same as someone in the burbs complaining about not being able to afford to live in s gated community - there are plenty of places close by.

clickbait for sure

if you go by the 30% rule, a $48k/year for an apartment means you need a $145k, right? $70k/partner in a working couple situation seems like a big ask for most people

a classic OGBoards 'let them eat cake' comment

Meh most college educated working class couples should be able to cover that especially considering wage inflation working in NYC. What's the average salary for a Wake grad, it is easily over 70K right?

Edit: Quick search shows that average medium salary for a wake grad is $118,000, so yeah 4K/mo is not crazy.

Last edited:
not to say it's not extremely expensive, but also need to account for the fact that you don't need a car living in NYC, so that's one or two car payments potentially, plus insurance, plus gas, plus maintenance, etc that you won't have to pay for that you might living in other places.

I'mma need you to show your work on "plenty of 3BRs for $2k-$3k in the Upper West Side"

Meh most college educated working class couples should be able to cover that especially considering wage inflation working in NYC. What's the average salary for a Wake grad, it is easily over 70K right?

Edit: Quick search shows that average medium salary for a wake grad is $118,000, so yeah 4K/mo is not crazy.

I mean, this is the extreme other side, though. $4k per month housing is only affordable in top 10% earners. But you don't need $4k unless you want a doorman building with all the amenities. The new buildings going up have almost full YMCAs in them now - the building next to mine has a golf simulator, bowling alley, full court basketball, massive gym, restaurant/bar, free arcade room - its crazy what they are putting into these buildings to jack up the rates into silly numbers.

Thats a different argument, though.

Back