• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP Rep. Jim Jordan accused of turning blind eye to sexual abuse as Ohio State coach

article published a day earlier, Yetts recounted how Strauss had tried to pull his shorts down when he went to see him for a thumb injury. Yetts said he told Jordan and Hellickson about what happened and insisted they intervene — an account that was later corroborated by another former Ohio State wrestler who said he had witnessed the conversation.

Yetts said Hellickson also called him later on July 4 and said he was under pressure from Jordan, who was an assistant wrestling coach at the university from 1986 to 1994, and from Jordan's supporters to make “a bold statement to defend Jimmy.”

“He said, 'I will defend Jimmy until I have to put my hand on a Bible and be asked to tell the truth, then Jimmy will be on his own,'” Yetts said in an interview this week, recalling his conversation with Hellickson. “I told him, 'I’m going to contradict you, coach, because I’m telling the truth.'”

Mike DiSabato, the former Ohio State wrestler whose whistleblowing spurred the university's investigation into the alleged abuse by Strauss, also shared a text message defending Jordan that he got from Hellickson. Out of loyalty to his old coach, he asked that NBC News not quote directly from it.

“He called me after the story broke, too,” DiSabato said of Hellickson. “He said Jimmy was telling him he had to make a statement supporting him and he called to tell me why he was going to make it. “

Yetts, DiSabato and three other former Ohio State wrestlers interviewed recently by NBC News all expressed deep respect for Hellickson but said they believe he has been boxed in by Jordan’s denials and is now caught between wanting to support his former protégé and the wrestlers who have called the congressman a liar.

Why would you expect Republicans to do anything about this? Over 80% of them support a serial sexual predator/assaulter. They support a compulsive liar and racist.

Interesting to see that Republicans stand with white men who abuse white men instead of the victims of the abuse.

Interesting to see that Republicans stand with white men who abuse white men instead of the victims of the abuse.

Have you ever thought about how the white men are the victims?

That was the point. That’s why I said “white men who abuse white men.”

Education Department investigates sex abuse scandal amid Jordan allegations
By BENJAMIN WERMUND 08/16/2018 03:34 PM EDT

The Education Department's Office for Civil rights is investigating how Ohio State University officials handled complaints against a former university doctor accused of sexually abusing athletes, in a case that's also drawn allegations that a Republican congressman turned a blind eye as Ohio State wrestling coach.

Multiple former Ohio State wrestlers have accused Rep. Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican and former Ohio State wrestling coach, of being among the faculty members who ignored inappropriate behavior by the physician, Richard Strauss. Jordan, a leader of the House Freedom Caucus has denied those allegations, saying: "I never knew about any type of abuse ... If I did, I would have done something about it."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...nt-ohio-state-jim-jordan-investigation-780010

Jim Jordan’s name comes up during Statehouse testimony on OSU abuse victims bill

Adam DiSabato, a former captain of the OSU wrestling team during the late 80s and early 90s, told members of the House Civil Justice Committee that Jordan and other team officials knew about open-shower team facilities that facilitated sexual harassment and abuse of team wrestlers​, an allegation Jordan has denied.

He also said Jordan called him repeatedly in July 2018, after media outlets quoted his brother, Michael DiSabato, saying Strauss’ abuse was common knowledge to those surrounding the wrestling program, including Jordan.

“Jim Jordan called me crying, groveling… begging me to go against my brother…That’s the kind of cover-up that’s going on there,” he said.

No Republicans asked DiSabato follow-up questions on Tuesday. But several Democratic committee members did, including State Rep. Jeff Crossman, who asked DiSabato on Tuesday to square his testimony with Jordan’s statements.

DiSabato responded by calling Jordan a “liar.”

“He’s throwing us under the bus, all of us. He’s a coward,” DiSabato said.

What was Jim Jordan's reputation prior to joining himself at the hip with the Trump administration?

I don't think he had to change much to be a Trump flunky, he's always been a tea party crazy person.

“Jordan was a terrorist as a legislator going back to his days in the Ohio House and Senate” - John Boehner

I don't think he had to change much to be a Trump flunky, he's always been a tea party crazy person.

“Jordan was a terrorist as a legislator going back to his days in the Ohio House and Senate” - John Boehner

I'm just wondering where the "reasonable/principled conservative" outrage was against folks like Jordan pre-Trump. The Republican Party has long been comprised of an over-representation of the worst fucking people in the United States and conservatives haven't batted an eye until Trump said mean things about people and institutions that "the principled set" of Republicans value.

man that guy is such a tool. would never have a beer with even not knowing he covered for a sexual predator. complete prick

Dems are total cowards in not holding hearings about him.

Back