• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thai boys trapped in a complex cave system

Any reason why Moonz cares about Thai boys more than South and Central American boys?

Many of those boys weren’t either.

Can someone explain why there are all the way back in this cave system to begin with? Seems extremely irresponsible from the coach

I assume it's easy enough to walk in but the rain came unexpectedly and trapped kids that can swim.

Can someone explain why there are all the way back in this cave system to begin with? Seems extremely irresponsible from the coach

They went into the cave and ignored signs not to proceed further in during the monsoon season. Rain came. (A lot of rain) and started filling the cave with water behind them. They kept going in and eventually up to where they found the dry ledge the are on.

Bad timing. One day earlier and they walk in and walk out.

I assume it's easy enough to walk in but the rain came unexpectedly and trapped kids that can swim.

That and my guess is that when the water cut off their exit, they kept moving to higher ground to escape the rising water. In this case it pushed them further into the cave system. One big danger at the moment, the O2 % has dropped to 15%. Normal air is roughly 21%. They're working on running a pipe to run fresh air into the chamber, but if that doesn't work, they'll start to slowly suffocate, requiring them to expedite the extraction.

What an awful, dire situation. And overnight a Thai ex-Navy SEAL died during the rescue operation.

Apparently the kids CANNOT swim. That is part of the many difficulties in rescuing them.

Meant can't

And yes rainy season but unexpected as in more than expected.

I had a really bad nightmare about this a couple days ago. Basically every aspect of this is horrific to me - lots of good vibes that they're able to make it out safely.

I read somewhere it takes an experience diver 5 hours to get out safely from where they are right now. Seems like that kind of rescue for young inexperienced swimmers is almost impossible.

The boys and their coach went deeper into the cave and ignored warning signs not to proceed during monsoon season. The day they went in was the day the monsoons started for serious.

Back