• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wimbledon 2018

As I've said on previous tennis threads, Isner was a kid in our neighborhood in Greensboro. Played a fair amount of tennis, but didn't blossom until he was a teenager, and then National champion at UGA. He wasn't very big then either.
If this is a long match on Friday, Isner should win. He's already won the longest match in history.

Disagree if you are implying that Isner is more fit than most players. Isner has a pretty piss poor record in majors relative to his seed at the time, probably because he plays long matches (because he can't break anybody) and is often gassed by the 3rd or 4th round. I think this is the first time he's made it to the 4th round at Wimbledon. With his serve, that is crazy.
I am pulling for Isner, though I agree with Juice that his game is painful to watch. Hopefully will have a slight advantage tomorrow because Anderson was on the court a lot longer yesterday.
#TENNIS

Looking forward to some solid matches tomorrow. Joker-Nadal will be really good.

Haven’t seen any of djokovics matches. Is he 100% and playing close to peak or still recovering and finding his form again?

Haven’t seen any of djokovics matches. Is he 100% and playing close to peak or still recovering and finding his form again?

He’s played really well. Similar to his top form but without the mental dominance he previously had.

Disagree if you are implying that Isner is more fit than most players. Isner has a pretty piss poor record in majors relative to his seed at the time, probably because he plays long matches (because he can't break anybody) and is often gassed by the 3rd or 4th round. I think this is the first time he's made it to the 4th round at Wimbledon. With his serve, that is crazy.
I am pulling for Isner, though I agree with Juice that his game is painful to watch. Hopefully will have a slight advantage tomorrow because Anderson was on the court a lot longer yesterday.
#TENNIS

I'm not saying Isner is the most fit player and he's certainly not the quickest.
With the match today, now underway, both Isner and Anderson are tall guys with big serves and not a lot else. Will be very few, if any service breaks. Would not be surprised if all sets went to tie breakers. Also, could be a 5 hour match.

LOL, check the score at the office and it's 7-6 (8-6) and 7-6 (7-5).

Gonna come down to unforced errors in the tiebreaker every set.

LOL, check the score at the office and it's 7-6 (8-6) and 7-6 (7-5).

Gonna come down to unforced errors in the tiebreaker every set.

Anderson broke Isner late in the 3rd (first time he had lost his serve at Wimbledon, 102 games), and was serving for the set, then Isner broke right back (snapped a string of 40+ straight service games held for Anderson).....as expected, 3rd set now in another tiebreak.

I'm not saying Isner is the most fit player and he's certainly not the quickest.
With the match today, now underway, both Isner and Anderson are tall guys with big serves and not a lot else. Will be very few, if any service breaks. Would not be surprised if all sets went to tie breakers. Also, could be a 5 hour match.

Well, we've passed 5 hours and only one set that wasn't a tie break.
Rafa and Joker may not get to play today/tonite.

The predictable 21-19 final set marching along

Djok-Rafa gonna get moved to tomorrow

This is the most predictable thing ever.

The predictable 21-19 final set marching along

Djok-Rafa gonna get moved to tomorrow

Would they start that match on Court #1? Or just wait this one out and play until midnight (or longer) local time? What is the protocol here?

Would they start that match on Court #1? Or just wait this one out and play until midnight (or longer) local time? What is the protocol here?

They should've already started the match on Court 1 (it's past 6:30 in London), but Wimbledon refuses to change protocol, and so, for some idiotic reason they will insist on keeping both matches on the stadium court. That said, they now have a roof and lights for the stadium court; so, they can go late tonight if they choose to do so.

Wimbledon is the last tournament to not do a 5th set tiebreaker, right?

Big serve tennis is like the new HR/K trend in baseball and, to some degree, 3-point heavy offense in basketball: efficient mathematically and therefore often the best for winning, but not always the most fun to watch. analytics have definitely made sports a little less fun.

Wimbledon is the last tournament to not do a 5th set tiebreaker, right?

Big serve tennis is like the new HR/K trend in baseball and, to some degree, 3-point heavy offense in basketball: efficient mathematically and therefore often the best for winning, but not always the most fun to watch. analytics have definitely made sports a little less fun.

US Open is the only one that has the tiebreaker.

Noob question - has Wimbledon thought about changing length of grass to reduce serve influence a bit? This is painfully boring tennis.

Noob question - has Wimbledon thought about changing length of grass to reduce serve influence a bit? This is painfully boring tennis.

Not a grass court expert but i would think that longer grass would make it even harder to return as the ball would barely bounce. I'm not sure they can cut it much lower.

They should at least put some kind of cap on things. Tiebreaker at 12-12 or something.

Back