• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wimbledon 2018

Pilchard

Reaction score
Realize most don't GAF about tennis (except when WF is winning a Natty :dancindeac:), but watch out for Francis Tiafoe, a 20 year-old US player from Maryland (his parents immigrated to the US from Sierra Leone; his dad was a construction worker on a crew that built a tennis center at College Park, MD, and his dad was then hired as the custodian at the tennis center, and Francis essentially lived at the facility when he was growing up). Tiafoe has been rising up the rankings and is now #52. He just advanced to the round of 32 at Wimbledon, and it looks like he may face the Joker in the round of 16. FT is improving quickly, really athletic and fun to watch. Tiafoe lost a 5 set match to Federer in the US Open last year. Dude can play.

Tiafoe has a great story and a ton of talent. He'll be fun to watch over the next few years. A few other notes from Wimbledon:

Federer won 35 straight points on serve in his match yesterday, and he didn't lose a service point in the second set.

Isner hit 64 aces today, which is the 3rd most ever in a match at Wimbledon. The record is held by Isner (113) and the second most is Mahut (103), which both occurred in their longest match in Wimbledon history, which Isner won 70-68 in the 5th set!

I'll watch for him, thanks! I'd love to see an american competing for majors, again.

Hope to see Tiafoe advance. I’d love to get out to the US Open this year and catch him live if possible. How about Cilic blowing a 2 set to love lead? Was it suspended from yesterday to today?

Yes. He was down a break in the third set when it was suspended.

Didn't see it but the announcers were talking about the turning point being at 3-2 in the 3rd set

Anyone think Kyrgios will win a grand slam? He has so much talent. I think he can put it together. I like watching him play because he has such a variety of shots and an entertaining personality.

Anyone think Kyrgios will win a grand slam? He has so much talent. I think he can put it together. I like watching him play because he has such a variety of shots and an entertaining personality.

I don’t. He has all the physical tools and ability but is too much of a headcase. He reminds me of the tennis version of Boogie Cousins.

Hahaha I saw that when it happened. I like the guy a lot but he just doesn’t have the mental make up to break through in this era. Guys like Fed and Nadal are so mentally tough on top of their skill set. When they eventually move on , there is still going to be Murray, Novak, Stan and a handful more that have just as much skill and aren’t mentally unstable.

He just strikes me as immature, which makes him inconsistent. I think there’s a chance that he’ll become more consistent as he ages. He’s only 23.

He just strikes me as immature, which makes him inconsistent. I think there’s a chance that he’ll become more consistent as he ages. He’s only 23.

Absolutely could but I’ve seen him give up on matches at majors and watched half hearted efforts in larger tournaments. Those kind of things strike me as bigger mental issues than just immaturity. I enjoy watching the kid play and don’t get all hell bent on antics like the water bottle. I do hate how many times I’ve seen him dog it out there , when it hasn’t been injury related.

Absolutely could but I’ve seen him give up on matches at majors and watched half hearted efforts in larger tournaments. Those kind of things strike me as bigger mental issues than just immaturity. I enjoy watching the kid play and don’t get all hell bent on antics like the water bottle. I do hate how many times I’ve seen him dog it out there , when it hasn’t been injury related.

He has definitely tanked matches.

Hahaha I saw that when it happened. I like the guy a lot but he just doesn’t have the mental make up to break through in this era. Guys like Fed and Nadal are so mentally tough on top of their skill set. When they eventually move on , there is still going to be Murray, Novak, Stan and a handful more that have just as much skill and aren’t mentally unstable.

Murray and Stan won’t be at the top when fed and nadal are finally done

Don’t know what happened to my original. Murray is only 31, so I think he can have about a 2 year run after Nadal and Fed retire. Stan was a little over zealous. I think Zevrev , Raonic, Dmitrov, Cilic, and Thiem are all more likely to break through. I’d be willing to bet that Kyrigos breaks through and wins a major.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to watching Tiafoe after hearing you guys talk about him. Woof. Nice tank.

Back