• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Sure, I never said that the regular season, in its entirety, wouldn’t matter. Only that some teams, after clinching a conference championship game appearance, could potentially rest players late in the regular season, which could lead to losses that would probably not otherwise happen. Those teams, in the setting of auto bids, could then go on to win their conference and get in the CFP. In a season with so few data points, that seems less than ideal.

Alabama played The Citadel two weeks ago.

And you'd get tons more of that if non-conference play is completely irrelevant

Wanted to give a shoutout to my UAB Blazers who won the Conference USA championship just 2 years after their football program was shut down. If Clawson were to go anywhere, Brian Clark should be on our short list. Dude has been incredible for both the city of Birmingham and UAB throughout an absurd situation.

And you'd get tons more of that if non-conference play is completely irrelevant

Which is what happens now. You play one good non conference game and then a bunch of poop. With an autobid you can risk a big game because you can afford to lose it.

Which is what happens now. You play one good non conference game and then a bunch of poop. With an autobid you can risk a big game because you can afford to lose it.

I don’t think that’s how football coaches think. If they can play a cupcake to rest players and/or keep them healthy, then they will.

Really thought OSU would come out and put a 59-0 Wisconsin-style beatdown on NW to try and jump OU. NW probably a little better than I thought, and OU just not as sharp as I thought they'd be. Don't see them jumping OU after this.

That was a drastically better Ohio State team than this one

The conference champion people are full of shit. They want a waste a week watching Washington get their ass beat. If you want to expand to 8, take the 8 best teams.

I agree with this. No on conference champions. The playoff is fine as it is. Maybe you go to 6 teams, but why do I want to watch Bama and Clemson destroy shitty #7 and #8 teams? We already have more shitty semifinals than good games.

Biff is alive! After a total choke and one of the worst coaching moves in a key moment in college football history. How can anyone even take Smart campaigning for a playoff spot seriously? Best win over a 3 loss Florida team with Felipe Franks as QB?!? GTFO.

OSU played like ass most of the year, but would torch UGA in a big game just like Michigan.

While teams play for championships then compare and argue about who is deserving, Notre Dame makes their own schedules then sits on the sidelines and chuckles.

That’s actually not a bad idea if you’re committed to keeping this system. I assume the at-large team is the best G5 conference champ.

So under this system, Washington, OU, Bama, UCF and likely Clemson and OSU make it. And there would be games between ND/LSU and Mich/UF to determine the other two teams.
in this scenario it's better to be LSU or Florida than Georgia
In my scenario Georgia would be the at large team that didn't win the conference championship.

1. SEC: Alabama
2. ACC: Clemson
3. Big 12: Oklahoma
4. At-Large: Georgia
5. Big 10: Ohio State
6. Winner of: Notre Dame/LSU
7. Pac 12: Washington
8. Winner of: Florida/Michigan

I will admit I don't know what to do with UCF in this scenario. I suppose UCF could be higher ranked than the non-con game winners.

So round 1:
#1 Alabama vs #8 UF/Michigan
#2 Clemson vs #7 Washington
#3 Oklahoma vs #6 Notre Dame/LSU
#4 Georgia vs #5 Ohio State

Last edited:
Sure, I never said that the regular season, in its entirety, wouldn’t matter. Only that some teams, after clinching a conference championship game appearance, could potentially rest players late in the regular season, which could lead to losses that would probably not otherwise happen. Those teams, in the setting of auto bids, could then go on to win their conference and get in the CFP. In a season with so few data points, that seems less than ideal.

This is not a serious concern. Teams would continue to play their best players for higher seeding.

In my scenario Georgia would be the at large team that didn't win the conference championship.

1. SEC: Alabama
2. ACC: Clemson
3. Big 12: Oklahoma
4. At-Large: Georgia
5. Big 10: Ohio State
6. Winner of: Notre Dame/LSU
7. Pac 12: Washington
8. Winner of: Florida/Michigan

I will admit I don't know what to do with UCF in this scenario. I suppose UCF could be higher ranked than the non-con game winners.

So round 1:
#1 Alabama vs #8 UF/Michigan
#2 Clemson vs #7 Washington
#3 Oklahoma vs #6 Notre Dame/LSU
#4 Georgia vs #5 Ohio State

If the goal is to have teams win their conference championship or win a play-in to get in the field of 8, why would the #4 team who lost get in over the #8 team who won? Your system already accounts for UCF.

If the goal is to have teams win their conference championship or win a play-in to get in the field of 8, why would the #4 team who lost get in over the #8 team who won? Your system already accounts for UCF.

Better overall resume. Thats the point of including the 1 at-large team, it assumes that at least one team that lost a conference championship still deserves to make the playoff, but in some years the at-large could be an undefeated non-P5 champion like UCF. I just happen to believe that 2 loss Georgia is still a better team than UCF this year, especially with their starting quarterback out.

Back