• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

The issue isn't draft status because of play. It is much more about getting injured either in the game or during practices leading to it. A serious injury would hurt draft position much more than poor performance.

I think the Jaylen Smith thing really scared alot of players. They are so close to achieving the goal, they dont want to risk it for a game that in reality is just a consolation prize. Like all college students, the point is to get a job at the end, and that job is the NFL, getting injured could take that away. Its the players who do not need the extra exposure are the ones who are deciding to skip the bowls, for the rest the bowls are a great opportunity to get some tape in front of a national audience.

In conclusion its fine to hate the game, but don't hate the playa.

For those planning on going into the draft, top picks skip somewhat meaningless bowl games to avoid injury. everyone else wants to play the bowl games, to potentially improve their draft status.

For those planning on going into the draft, top picks skip somewhat meaningless bowl games to avoid injury. everyone else wants to play the bowl games, to potentially improve their draft status.

That's what my plan was.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a bowl game to go to.
Didn't get drafted either.

Well, at least Ryan Day doesn't have much pressure on him or anything.

If Clawson keeps posting 7 or 8 win seasons he could be headed back to Ohio in three years to continue the Bowling Green magic.

If Clawson keeps posting 7 or 8 win seasons he could be headed back to Ohio in three years to continue the Bowling Green magic.

Give it a rest. If Clawson EVER goes anywhere from here it will be to a much more prolific job. I would keep for the next ten to fifteen years if we could

Give it a rest. If Clawson EVER goes anywhere from here it will be to a much more prolific job. I would keep for the next ten to fifteen years if we could

I was suggesting that he would coach at Ohio State like former Bowling Green Coach Urban Meyer. Glad to explain it to you.

Sorry I get so defensive when anyone seems to say something negative about the football program right now. I've been a fan for 35+ years no one in my family liked Wake but I took to them. I used to mow yards over the summer at 13 just to buy myself tickets and have my parents drop me off at the games. Games like the Clemson game this year were normal for ten out of twelve of the games most years.

We've made a lot of progress under Grobe and Clawson from being the second most losing team in fbs to passing about 7 or 8 other teams now. And I just can't get anyone unappreciative or underwhelmed by the Deacs going to a bowl. I honestly believe we are going to have to have ten to fifteen years of consecutive bowl making or at least only missing one here or there in that time to move up to the next level as a program. If that means 6-6,7-5, or 8-4. So I'll be happy every year we make a bowl it's progress for the program. As the programs recruiting picks up so will my expectations.

A Williams graduate that has found his home. Clawson aint going anywhere. We just need to be competitive on salary which we can do. Gonna be a long marriage.

You sure don't hear his name mentioned much about any coaching opportunities

Sorry I get so defensive when anyone seems to say something negative about the football program right now. I've been a fan for 35+ years no one in my family liked Wake but I took to them. I used to mow yards over the summer at 13 just to buy myself tickets and have my parents drop me off at the games. Games like the Clemson game this year were normal for ten out of twelve of the games most years.

We've made a lot of progress under Grobe and Clawson from being the second most losing team in fbs to passing about 7 or 8 other teams now. And I just can't get anyone unappreciative or underwhelmed by the Deacs going to a bowl. I honestly believe we are going to have to have ten to fifteen years of consecutive bowl making or at least only missing one here or there in that time to move up to the next level as a program. If that means 6-6,7-5, or 8-4. So I'll be happy every year we make a bowl it's progress for the program. As the programs recruiting picks up so will my expectations.

I'm with you James.
Been a Deacon for over 40 years and I'm as excited and optimistic about football as I've ever been.

You sure don't hear his name mentioned much about any coaching opportunities

It's a two-way street. In addition to schools looking for candidates, every FBS head coach and some high profile assistants have agents with long-time connections to the coaching search entities that assist in the hiring process. If a coach tells his agent to see what else is out there, you will murmers about that coach being a candidate for another job (sometimes this is done to try force a contract extension or a raise from the current school). Doesn't appear Clawson has tasked his agent with finding another job or otherwise stirring the pot. There are a lot of Power V programs that would be much better off with DC at the helm.

Kelly Bryant to Mizzou, if you're looking for a Wake connection, it means another year on the bench for former Wake Forest decommitter Taylor Powell. Bryant would seem to have a different skill set from Lock, but really is quite similar, as Bryant can still sling it, and will add another to a dangerous Mizzou offense. As the saying goes, Missouri loves company.

Kelly Bryant to Mizzou, if you're looking for a Wake connection, it means another year on the bench for former Wake Forest decommitter Taylor Powell. Bryant would seem to have a different skill set from Lock, but really is quite similar, as Bryant can still sling it, and will add another to a dangerous Mizzou offense. As the saying goes, Missouri loves company.

Powell’s 247S numerical rating was lower than Hinton, Newman and Hartman.

I don't see him moving up in any year that we lose to Clemson by 60.

Agree--Clawson isn't going anywhere with 6-6 or 7-5 seasons at Wake. On the other hand if he posts a couple of 9-3 or 8-4 seasons , he will be gone in a second to a higher profile Power 5 program that offers him an easier recruiting base, and a chance at championships. Clawson is highly competitive ( which we love) and everything on his resume says he will move to the next bigger job if he has the chance.

Back