• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

UCF absolutely belongs in the playoff.

As a #8 seed against #1 Bama.

UCF lost all credibility with me when they refused a 2 for 1 with UF.

You can’t get into the playoff without beating someone all season.

If playoff goes to 8, then maybe.

They probably turned it down because USF took it.

2018 offical College Football thread

They probably turned it down because USF took it.

Still plenty of room on the UF schedule over the next few years.

But yeah, I guess USF makes more sense than UCF for the Gators (if, for some odd reason, it was either or).

Last edited:
Still plenty of room on the UF schedule over the next few years.

But yeah, I guess USF makes more sense than UCF for the Gators (if, for some odd reason, it was either or).

Not what I meant. UCF sees themselves as a legit top 10 program and national champs. They aren’t going to take the same deal as USF.

Yeah but they aren’t, you can’t just have some perception that you are something that you aren’t then bitch and complaining when the rest of the people outside looking in won’t give you what you want.

As long as UCF is in the AAC they will never garner the respect they think they deserve. If they are serious about being a national championship contender they should be doing everything they can to get out of that conference and go Independent like Notre Dame. They sucked ass during the last conference realignments, had they been this good about 10 years ago who knows, maybe the ACC would have considered them. They really don’t have any other place to go. Look at Boise St., they lost like one game over the course of three seasons and beat a very good Oklahoma team in a BCS bowl but nobody, not even Boise fans, were screaming “national champions” or for them to be in the BCS title games. Until the playoff expands to 8 teams UCF is shit out of luck.

With the rapid rise of UCF, they need to take games against national powers however they can get them and win them. Make the case on the field.

When UCF defense gives up 30 and 40+ to Memphis and Memphis only scores 21 vs the Wake defense, the data points are not in UCF's favor.

UCF gets to make their next on field statement vs LSU in the bowl.

As long as UCF is in the AAC they will never garner the respect they think they deserve. If they are serious about being a national championship contender they should be doing everything they can to get out of that conference and go Independent like Notre Dame. They sucked ass during the last conference realignments, had they been this good about 10 years ago who knows, maybe the ACC would have considered them. They really don’t have any other place to go. Look at Boise St., they lost like one game over the course of three seasons and beat a very good Oklahoma team in a BCS bowl but nobody, not even Boise fans, were screaming “national champions” or for them to be in the BCS title games. Until the playoff expands to 8 teams UCF is shit out of luck.

UCF and USF were heavily involved in talks with the Big XII but the Big XII chose not to expand.

All the G6 programs would jump at the chance to go P5 and they’re working hard to do so.

It seems like the playoff has barred the door even more to the non-power teams, which is a real shame. Boise was #3 going into the final regular-season weekend of 2010 and was generally thought to just need a win @ Nevada and either an Auburn loss @ 'bama or an Oregon loss to Arizona to make the BCS title game. But Cam worked some magic in Tuscaloosa, Oregon took care of biz and Boise got Kaepernick'd and that was that.

That year Boise did play eventual ACC champ VT non-conf and won, so maybe if UCF can schedule an opponent like that and win they'd get more respect. But it seems the old system had more respect for non-power teams than the currently one does, even with two extra spots available

Not all that surprising though -- the expansion to 68 in the NCAA tourney was supposed to help the mid-majors but now it just seems to be a vehicle to get more major conference teams in. Doubt the George Masons of '05-06 and VCUs of '10-11 make it current day.

How it works in America -- even things that seem on face value to grant access to more get co-opted to benefit those already with power. Watch an eight-team playoff eventually find a way not to include any smaller conference winners

To be fair, UCF did schedule uNC and GaTech but games were cancelled in the last two seasons. They also beat Pitt and some guys in Maryland uniforms. They were barely a team.

3 Clemson players, including A-A DT Dexter Lawrence, fail drug test. Not what you need before a national semifinal.

Quick flip through wiki shows boise state played Washington, Oregon, Virginia tech, Michigan state, and Georgia during their peak years. And I generally remember them having a “well play anyone anywhere so we can prove ourselves” attitude.

UCF lost a ton of fans with the national champions crap last year and they’ll lose more if they’re not doing everything they can to get games with the big boys. One day we may have an 8 team playoff where highest G5 champion gets an autobid but until we get there, reality is what it is, and you can either try to build a schedule people will respect or bitch about people never respecting you.

Not what I meant. UCF sees themselves as a legit top 10 program and national champs. They aren’t going to take the same deal as USF.

Yeah, well that’s just not true. And I don’t think those that schedule for UCF really believe that to be true.

They are a group of five school.

These schedules are done years in advance. They are a 2 year flash in the pan right now, and they still scheduled shitty when they were 0-12 three years ago and 6-7 two years ago. They are in no way an elite program, and I don’t know anyone that is seriously making that argument (at least not yet).

I’m okay with UCF in the playoffs if they’re smoking decent teams on the regular. They’re not.

Yeah, well that’s just not true. And I don’t think those that schedule for UCF really believe that to be true.

They are a group of five school.

These schedules are done years in advance. They are a 2 year flash in the pan right now, and they still scheduled shitty when they were 0-12 three years ago and 6-7 two years ago. They are in no way an elite program, and I don’t know anyone that is seriously making that argument (at least not yet).

It’s not true? Do you think I just made that up? That’s what the UCF AD said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-stricklin-welcome-2-1-series-vs-ucf-knights

“I'm encouraged to hear that UF is open to the idea of playing us in football," White said in the statement, according to the Orlando Sentinel. "Since I've been here, it had been made clear to me there wasn't much hope of that. Our scheduling philosophy has been transparent since I arrived at UCF -- that we're open to a home-and-home series with any nonconference Power 6 opponent.

"Top-10 programs don't schedule 2-for-1 series where the balance is not in their favor. Our growing fan base and our student-athletes deserve better than that."

It’s not true? Do you think I just made that up? That’s what the UCF AD said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-stricklin-welcome-2-1-series-vs-ucf-knights

“I'm encouraged to hear that UF is open to the idea of playing us in football," White said in the statement, according to the Orlando Sentinel. "Since I've been here, it had been made clear to me there wasn't much hope of that. Our scheduling philosophy has been transparent since I arrived at UCF -- that we're open to a home-and-home series with any nonconference Power 6 opponent.

"Top-10 programs don't schedule 2-for-1 series where the balance is not in their favor. Our growing fan base and our student-athletes deserve better than that."

My point was that they can say what they want, but it’s not reality. “True” was perhaps the wrong word.

I get that it’s unfair, but there is no reason for UF (or that ilk) to do schools like UCF a favor with a home and home. Zero. Especially in-state.

UCF is shooting itself in the foot if they want to be big time.

More likely, they’ll suck in a year or two and nobody will care.

Not the best example, but my wife is a UCF alum, and she couldn’t care less about the football team. Likes UF.

It just means more.

f4e0b7de3c06f4572b8a2a0a5a263fac.jpg

Back