• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

PAC 12 is garbage. If Chip Kelly doesn't win that league in three years, he's not the coach we thought he was.

B1G might have a couple of good teams.

If ND runs the table against their schedule they obviously make the playoff. Same with Clemson. One misstep by either and they're toast, imo. ACC is one team with a big group in the middle.

Wake has an opportunity to make the case they are the top of that middle.

Seriously. Biff throwing out all kinds of hot takes after one week. Geez.

Miami is (probably) not the 2nd best team in the ACC. We’ll see two candidates for that distinction this evening.

UCLA is hot garbage right now. Chip Kelly will need those 3 years you are giving him. Maybe more.

Washington played Auburn pretty close in Atlanta... Pretty much a road game. Tough to write them off until we know how good Auburn is.

LSU might be better than a mediocre SEC team.

We didn’t get a ton of answers... Just a few more data points.

Miami is in free fall.

Seriously. Biff throwing out all kinds of hot takes after one week. Geez.

Miami is (probably) not the 2nd best team in the ACC. We’ll see two candidates for that distinction this evening.

UCLA is hot garbage right now. Chip Kelly will need those 3 years you are giving him. Maybe more.

Washington played Auburn pretty close in Atlanta... Pretty much a road game. Tough to write them off until we know how good Auburn is.

LSU might be better than a mediocre SEC team.

We didn’t get a ton of answers... Just a few more data points.

If Miami is the second best team in the ACC, this league is garbage.

I expect Clemson to hang huge numbers on Texas A&M and Louisville, as they're common opponents with Alabama. They'll probably do the same against Ga Tech and USC, which are common opponents against Georgia.

Clemson plays at FSU which is their only difficult road game, doesn't play ND, and has USC at home. They'll play Miami or Va Tech in the ACCCG. Dabo will be picking his number every Saturday this fall before calling off the dogs.

The ACC's second highest ranked team just got clobbered by the third best team in the SEC West on a somewhat neutral field. If Clemson loses an ACC game this year they don't deserve to be in the playoff.

ACC on the opening weekend of college football when everybody is watching & evaluating the conferences went 0-3 against the Power 5. Plus we looked really bad against the SEC West as Louisville & Miami, 2 big name teams got clobbered badly. UNC did make a game out of it out at Cal as they came within an onside kick of having a chance to tie, but neither team is high profile. Miami peaked last year as they put all their efforts in thrashing Notre Dame and since then have looked bad in losing 4 straight.

I think FSU may right their ship this year as they are healthy, have a new coach & have gone up tempo. They want to get back from looking so bad last year. We shall see tonight how badly they can beat a much depleted Bud Foster defense which lost players to the draft plus tossed off a few key DB starters in the summer.

Our league is Clemson way at the top, then a huge drop off for right now.

We play FSU and Clemson every year. Having a OOC game of ND's caliber every year is crazy. This is one of our most talented teams and we are predicted to go 6-6 or 7-5 because of our really tough schedule.

Some people relish competition, others run from it.

I personally love the idea that our division is so tough as every game each week is a challenge and something to look forward to. We're not going to can Clawson anytime soon, he's not on any type of hot seat and the program is establishing itself -- no reason to hide and play the sisters of the poor just to stay in the same state of mediocrity. The program will only get better by taking on the best and trying to rise to their level

As long as we keep stock piling talent...depth has always been a major problem. If we continue to recruit raw athletic talent and develop that talent into surprisingly good football players, we will hold our own against the big boys.

The problem is "playing tough games" isn't the objective for college football success. Success is playing *enough* tough games AND posting a winning record and attending a bowl.

As has been recounted above, Wake already did the play-an-impossible-schedule-against-top-powers strategy and it nearly destroyed our program. National articles were written recommending Wake drop football altogether. It was a humiliating embarrassment, and whomever thought up that tack should've been fired (Hooks?), but wasn't. Teams in Wake's position have to be very careful to have just enough difficulty mixed with games they can win. A hooligan coming around saying screw bowl games and just play the strongest opponents we can find every week doesn't know jack about running a successful college FB program.

Things are nothing now like they were in Hooks' day. You almost can't compare the two eras. Wake has vastly increased the resources for football.

Re: scheduling, Wake obviously has to find a balance. I really think a big reason the program has made strides over the last 20 years is that we significantly upgraded the OOC scheduling.

The problem is "playing tough games" isn't the objective for college football success. Success is playing *enough* tough games AND posting a winning record and attending a bowl.

As has been recounted above, Wake already did the play-an-impossible-schedule-against-top-powers strategy and it nearly destroyed our program. National articles were written recommending Wake drop football altogether. It was a humiliating embarrassment, and whomever thought up that tack should've been fired (Hooks?), but wasn't. Teams in Wake's position have to be very careful to have just enough difficulty mixed with games they can win. A hooligan coming around saying screw bowl games and just play the strongest opponents we can find every week doesn't know jack about running a successful college FB program.

So Loh completely misrepresenting what someone is saying. All I want is a marquee non-conference opponent a year. And inspectah took the words right out of my mouth about the program being in a different state -- which has largely been brought on by the ACC strengthening and our wanting to match that.

The other three non-conf games don't have to be particularly difficult -- if I were AD I wouldn't send us to a place like Tulane or the service academies (regularly at least) where we could easily lose and get little benefit out of it. If you're taking the chance you could lose then might as well go for broke

Things are nothing now like they were in Hooks' day. You almost can't compare the two eras. Wake has vastly increased the resources for football.

Re: scheduling, Wake obviously has to find a balance. I really think a big reason the program has made strides over the last 20 years is that we significantly upgraded the OOC scheduling.

So Loh completely misrepresenting what someone is saying. All I want is a marquee non-conference opponent a year. And inspectah took the words right out of my mouth about the program being in a different state -- which has largely been brought on by the ACC strengthening and our wanting to match that.

The other three non-conf games don't have to be particularly difficult -- if I were AD I wouldn't send us to a place like Tulane or the service academies (regularly at least) where we could easily lose and get little benefit out of it. If you're taking the chance you could lose then might as well go for broke

THIS and THIS.

This is why it was stupid to schedule App in the out years. We're gonna get burned. Much better to lose to Texas, Ohio State, or Nebraska than lose a three point game to App and have to listen to it for 15 years. Did y'all know App beat Michigan a few years back. Sick of fucking hearing that shit over and over and over. Sons of bitches act like it's as historical as 9/11.

This is why it was stupid to schedule App in the out years. We're gonna get burned. Much better to lose to Texas, Ohio State, or Nebraska than lose a three point game to App and have to listen to it for 15 years. Did y'all know App beat Michigan a few years back. Sick of fucking hearing that shit over and over and over. Sons of bitches act like it's as historical as 9/11.

I'm assuming you're happy with the result this weekend in Happy Valley then?

Do you consider games like Purdue and NW marquee OOC games?

I don't think its fair to Clawson, the players, or ourselves to be scared to schedule teams like Oklahoma, Penn State, and Southern Cal just because they walked us back in the 70's. I don't know about you guys but I didn't really "get up" for either of our games against Tulane and you can't tell me that some of the players were the same way (judging by our level of play in both of those games). You can't tell me that Satterfield and company aren't winning a few extra recruits every year by showing them their future OOC schedule and their success against teams like Michigan, Tennessee, and (now) Penn State. I understand that they have to schedule as many strong OOC opponents as they can due to their conference schedule being so weak, but it still says something. Give me a home and home (which we can successfully bargain unlike App) vs. a Tennessee or a Penn State over one of the shitty home and home's we've scheduled over the next half decade. We will still have a fairly weak OOC even with a marquee game every year. You don't get better by playing weaker teams.

ETA: and I know, I know "but NOTRE DAME!". Yes the few games we've played against them and have on our future schedule are the only non conference (technically not now?) games that I've been remotely excited about since we played Nebraska.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're happy with the result this weekend in Happy Valley then?

Not happy or unhappy. Don't give a shit about App football. And why should I? I care about their program like I care about Elon University, Liberty, etc.

Back