• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
It's now July and it is time to talk college football. The Deacs will be strong with 8 official returning starters on offense & 6 returning starters on defense. OC Ruggerio's offense was #2 in the ACC last year and set the all-time Wake Forest scoring record and this year could top that. With the depth we have developed, we now have a "plug & play" situation as we saw when Dortch went down and we all thought the sky had fallen. This year's team could average 40 points per game as long as Newman or Hartman develops quickly [and they have to good games to get themselves acclimated before taking on a good Boston College team on ESPN on a Thursday night!]

The defense now has had a year to develop under 3 new coaches and get some consistency. The 6 returning starters will be led by Zeke Rodney & Willie Yarbury and also Boogie Basham on the D-line. # starters return in the backfield even though we lost Bates to the NFL so we have strength there. I expect us to give up fewer points this year.

Special teams will be interesting. Punter is in good shape with Maggio returning as punter. Returns should be spectacular as Dortch is healthy again and is 1st team all-ACC caliber!! But we will miss Weaver and need a reliable kicker to come from somewhere. [we have about 4 in camp]

I am looking for an 8-9 win season as we build off that spectacular 55-52 win over Texas A&M in the Belk Bowl. We will need to stay healthy and have a good QB emerge in the first 2 games, then beat BC in the ACC/ESPN Thursday night opener. Clemson may be the only "unwinnable" game for us, but they always lose some strange game every year so why not lose one to us one year? The rest of the ACC & the rest of the country will come later so chime in.

Last edited:
Jake Fromm broke his hand in a boating incident at Lake Burton, but it wasn't his throwing hand. Justin Fields has already been pushing Jake, but Jake is still the starter.

McCaffery not even in the honorable mentions is staggering. Easily top 5 for me

It's now July and it is time to talk college football. The Deacs will be strong with 8 official returning starters on offense & 6 returning starters on defense. OC Ruggerio's offense was #2 in the ACC last year and set the all-time Wake Forest scoring record and this year could top that. With the depth we have developed, we now have a "plug & play" situation as we saw when Dortch went down and we all thought the sky had fallen. This year's team could average 40 points per game as long as Newman or Hartman develops quickly [and they have to good games to get themselves acclimated before taking on a good Boston College team on ESPN on a Thursday night!]

The defense now has had a year to develop under 3 new coaches and get some consistency. The 6 returning starters will be led by Zeke Rodney & Willie Yarbury and also Boogie Basham on the D-line. # starters return in the backfield even though we lost Bates to the NFL so we have strength there. I expect us to give up fewer points this year.

Special teams will be interesting. Punter is in good shape with Maggio returning as punter. Returns should be spectacular as Dortch is healthy again and is 1st team all-ACC caliber!! But we will miss Weaver and need a reliable kicker to come from somewhere. [we have about 4 in camp]

I am looking for an 8-9 win season as we build off that spectacular 55-52 win over Texas A&M in the Belk Bowl. We will need to stay healthy and have a good QB emerge in the first 2 games, then beat BC in the ACC/ESPN Thursday night opener. Clemson may be the only "unwinnable" game for us, but they always lose some strange game every year so why not lose one to us one year? The rest of the ACC & the rest of the country will come later so chime in.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...F-46-68-90180709_121040WakeForestDemonDeacons

CBS ranked all the D1 FBS coaches on a "hot seat scale" Here is the link to their listing: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...aluating-job-security-of-all-129-fbs-coaches/

I was surprised to see Clawson as a "2" "all good...for now" I would have expected him in the "safe and secure" category this year. Probably not in the "untouchable" category. Given the way Wake does things, and the job Clawson has done, I would think his seat is very secure for the next several years.

pretty good chance Wake goes undefeated in a down year for the ACC

Won't be the same since South Beach karaoke bar closed down, but I'll manage

Clemson may be the only "unwinnable" game for us, but they always lose some strange game every year so why not lose one to us one year?

IF Deacs were to defeat ND the State/Carolina praise of Clawson and reminders of how lucky WF is to have him would sound like finger nails scrapping a chalk board. But if lightning strikes and WF beats Clemson then the Duke/Carolina/State contingency would chew nails all season while praying that Clawson walks. These guys would become apoplectic if WF started winning regularly.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Deacs could easily go 6 and 6 as well as 8 and 4.

IF Deacs were to defeat ND the State/Carolina praise of Clawson and reminders of how lucky WF is to have him would sound like finger nails scrapping a chalk board. But if lightning strikes and WF beats Clemson then the Duke/Carolina/State contingency would chew nails all season while praying that Clawson walks. These guys would become apoplectic if WF started winning regularly.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Deacs could easily go 6 and 6 as well as 8 and 4.

Hinton's off the field decision making is putting much more work on the offensive coaching staff. Instead of working with an experienced QB, they are almost back to the experience level they had with freshman John Wolford.

One of those random Clemson losses to Wake is at least partially responsible for Dabo getting the HC job at Clemson. I don't think he would want to lose it for the same reason.

I would think that The Hat Man at UNC-Cheater Hill has a very hot seat. Last year he had the built in excuse of injuries but was feeling pressure. This year he won't have that excuse and they are wanting results. Somehow Phil Steele picks him 2nd in the Coastal but I don't see that. He gives a 4 team all-preseason ACC team. Carolina has nobody but a returner on 1st team, only 1 on 3rd team & 3 on the 4th team. For instance he has us with 3 on 1st team and doesn't even list Dortch until 3rd team as a punt returner ?? [but does have him 1st team as WR]. We have 2 on 2nd team, 3 on 3rd team & 2 on 4th team--yet again picks us in 6th in the Atlantic and says he & Clawson laugh about it because he knows he is wrong again! The Heels only have 5 returners on the O but do have 8 returning from a defense that allowed 31 points per game last year. I pick them in 5th, behind Miami, VT, Duke & GT and ahead of only Pitt and last place UVa.

Let's talk Top 10 teams and see who people think will "end" up rounding out the Top 10 teams. Forget who news media rank at the start of the season. Who will the Committee end up with at the end come playoff time as the 10 best teams?

I am looking for Bama & UGa to again come battling out of the SEC. We know the Tide has depth and now a young gun slinger QB who could win the job. The Bulldogs have 8 starters back on offense and QB Fromm so enough said there. Defense slips a little but Kirby Smart is a defensive guru so he will have them stout.

Look for the Big Ten East to be the most powerful division in all of football as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State & Michigan St are all Top 10 caliber. Don't slack off on Harbaugh as he has added Shea Patterson from Ole Miss at QB so he finally has himself a stout QB to go along with 9 starters back on the best D in the country! Franklin will have PSU rolling with McSorley at QB, good WR's & all but one OL back. The D lost a lot but has recruited well so it should still be good. Then we go to Dantonio's bunch at Sparty and they are stout & coming off 10 wins. Great QB in Lewerke, RB & all WR's returning and 4 or 5 on the OL. Go to the tough defense and they have 9 starters returning. This division will be a slobber knocker. Go to the other side and never forget about Wiscy either. They come off a 13 win season and a butt whipping of Miami in the Orange Bowl. They have 9 starters back on Offense but only 4 back on defense. However Chryst always has a tough D. This year they have to crossover & play @ Michigan & @ Penn St so they get to play a real schedule for once.

Go to the Big 12 and it is always the Oklahoma show and they do have to replace Heisman winner Baker Mayfield. But Lincoln Riley is just the guy to do that. We shall see if QB transfer Kyler Murray is the guy to step right in. One other team that could surprise is Texas as they have a very competent QB in Sam Ehrlinger, 7 starters each returning on O & D.They get USC at home which could move them up in the rankings.

The ACC has Clemson, who we all know about. But who will be the QB? Will it be true freshman, "Sunshine" Trevor Lawrence as many suspect or does veteran Sr Kelly Bryant keep his job? Clemson is loaded on D with 8 starters back. Miami had a miracle start then ran totally out of gas after they put all their efforts into whipping Notre Dame! They lost their last 3 games by a decisive 41-96. Richt is a great coach & is recruiting well. He returns 7 starters on both D & O. We shall see what they have early as they open with LSU in Jerry's Dome, but then have 3 crips before their ACC opener at home against UNC. 2 tough crossovers against FSU & @ BC.

PAC-12 has Washington as a Top 10 team and could make the playoffs. Really great QB in Jake Browning, 8 starters back on O and a daredevil HC in Chris Petersen. Their D is also one of the best in the country and has 9 starters returning. They are the class of the PAC. Great opener in the Chic-fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta as they take on Auburn. Stanford will be tough out there and has Bryce Love back at RB. A definite Heisman hopeful! Costello is a dual threat QB and they have 9 returners on O. Their typically strong D has only 6 returning but they have good LB's & DB's. The true wildcard out west is USC. They are finally back up to being fully scholarshipped after the Reggie Bush debacle. Their O-line has 4 of 5 starters back, they have good RB's & WR's but of course they have to replace Darnold at QB. The D will be good and has 6 starters returning. They avoid UWub from the other side, get a national game at Texas and also the Domers at home to end the season. We see early what they have as they are @ Stanford in game #2.

Steele always loves Notre Dame but I don't see it this year. Too many holes & they lost Elko as the DC. Wimbush is inconsistent at QB & he is throwing to a bunch of new WR's. Plus the top 2 RB's are gone. [one surprisingly left for the NFL but was undrafted]. The schedule is far too stout for my taste for them to end up in the Top 10. They open at home with Michigan, come to BB&T Field to get whipped by Wake in the 4th game, have Stanford at home right after that. Then they go to VT, are @ Northwestern [a 10 win team], have FSU at home & finish @ USC. That can be a 6-6 season with Kelly going out if he is not careful.

CBS ranked all the D1 FBS coaches on a "hot seat scale" Here is the link to their listing: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...aluating-job-security-of-all-129-fbs-coaches/

I was surprised to see Clawson as a "2" "all good...for now" I would have expected him in the "safe and secure" category this year. Probably not in the "untouchable" category. Given the way Wake does things, and the job Clawson has done, I would think his seat is very secure for the next several years.

Holgerson at WVU is at least 4 if listen to certain parts of their fanbase, particularly with the talent they have on offense this year.

Steele is an idiot that usually picks the Cheaters to finish too high...

Forget all the N&O hype for State, what do they really have coming back this year? Are they a true threat to Clempsum?

Forget all the N&O hype for State, what do they really have coming back this year? Are they a true threat to Clempsum?

Very true! Most don't realize that the Wolfies had the most NFL draftees last year-7- than anybody else in the ACC, with Clemson next at 3. They lost all 4 starters off that great D-line & lost all 3 starting LB's. What they do have is a really good returning QB in Finley & 2 good WR's. I think this bunch is beatable for us finally this year in Carter Finley Stadium!

Back