• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Hate it when WF fans spout off like dumb-ass fans of other schools. WF lost its QB (Wolford), coming off the single most productive season in 100+ years of WF football history, and then WF had its top returning QB (Hinton) suspended for 3 games; that alone is a massive change from last year. Jamie Newman looks like he has a ton of talent (but he played one game last year, and threw pick against Presby), and people rave about Hartman, but it took 3 years for Wolford to master the offense. So, ignorant to make it sound like WF's offense is not going to skip a beat this year. BTW, Seringue is a huge loss. WF's best TE in decades, and there is no one close to him in experience and production on the roster; a lot easier to double Dortch and Washington now. Think/hope that at some point in 2017 (maybe when Hinton returns and gets comfortable with the offense again) that the offense will get cranked up, but those expecting WF to hang a ton of points on Tulane and then BC in games 1 and 3 are in for a rude awakening.

I am not one that is usually overly optimistic when it has come to our sports teams of late, but I did say we would win 7 games last year and most thought I was crazy and was, of course correct. Plus I loved the great win over A&M to get a very nice comeback win at the Belk Bowl.

But I also hate it when dumbass Wake fans don't give credit for what we do have on our roster when it is there! And to say we don't have great talent on offense is so LOWF of you Pilch! We were 2nd in the ACC in points scored and while we will certainly skip a beat with Wolford being gone, he didn't hit his stride until the 2nd half of the season. With the entire OL returning, that by itself is 132 starts. WR will be a real strength and there is no way on earth that Washington & Dortch will be double teamed, not with 6'4" Surratt ready for action opposite of Washington. And while Seringne was our best TE ever, he might have been underutilized and blocked too much to have been such a top notch weapon. He only caught 35 passes which was down from 2016. I hope Freudenthal is used more actually and he has the same size as Cam. And I haven't even gotten to the addition of Christian Beal at RB, so along with depth he gives us outside speed.

But yes Pilch, I am expecting Wake to win at Tulane in a wild shootout, something like 42-28 as the Green Wave has no defense. They gave up 412 yards per game last year & 36 points and only have 5 starters back. While I am sure Willie Fritz is looking at our game as a hopeful win on his way to a hopeful bowl season, he is still picked 5th in the AAC West behind even Tulsa. They have only 5 on the preseason all AAC team offense, none on 1st team and only 3 on defense, with 1 on 2nd & 2 on 4th. Their strength lies in their QB & OL. Not with their defense. But that is OK, you sound like the typical LOWF person, poor mouthing before the season even starts. Where I do expect a huge tussle is in Game 3 against BC. They are vastly improved with Anthony Brown at QB, AJ Dillon at RB and a huge OL. We will hopefully be up & running full steam with our young QB and outscore them as their D will give up some yards.

We're going to hang a lot of points on Tulane. They lost a lot on defense and were pretty trash last year. We should run for 250+ and hit a few deep balls.

We are going to run all over Tulane. Their DL is a weakness and we are going to help whoever is playing QB for us. I don’t think 300+ yards rushing will be a huge surprise.

38-17 Wake

We are going to run all over Tulane. Their DL is a weakness and we are going to help whoever is playing QB for us. I don’t think 300+ yards rushing will be a huge surprise.

38-17 Wake

Could be a game where we have 2 rbs with 100+ yards.
Not sure when the last time was.

As happy as we all are about our offensive explosion and record last season, we have not in my opinion reached a level in football where we can be so bullish about our team that we're predicting continuing fireworks even though we lose probably the key component in all of it: The QB.

Wolford was a four year starter and his leadership as much as his talent counted for a helluva lot to that team. The losses of Serigne, Wolford and Hines (yes, even though we have Dortch) are significant and without that depth we're an injury away from a bad situation. As always, maybe a newcomer steps in and picks up the slack, but these are things to hope for, not count on.

I cautiously, as ever, would predict a 7-5 record this year due to the losses, but having a sense that like last season we don't backslide from the previous year. At least with the good amount of returning strength we do have.

I think the offense is going to look similar to last year pre snap, but without Hinton, I don't think the QB will run a lot. I would bet the biggest difference will be more of Dortch and Beal in motion to make up for the quickness that Hinton and Wolford provided.

WF has had two players run for 100 yards 16 times.

The last time that WF had two RBs rush for 100 yards was September 22, 2012 in a 49-37 win over Army. Josh Harris ran for 129 and DeAndre Martin ran for 115.

The only other times that it has happened in the last 30 years was:

1997 versus Duke: Morgan Kane 146 and Herman Lewis 160
2005 versus ECU: Barclay 210 and Micah Andrews 142

Almost positive there was a game in the Grobe years where we had three 100 yard rushers. It was against a non-FBS opponent, and I don't think we passed the ball a single time in the 2nd half.

WF has had two players run for 100 yards 16 times.

The last time that WF had two RBs rush for 100 yards was September 22, 2012 in a 49-37 win over Army. Josh Harris ran for 129 and DeAndre Martin ran for 115.

The only other times that it has happened in the last 30 years was:

1997 versus Duke: Morgan Kane 146 and Herman Lewis 160
2005 versus ECU: Barclay 210 and Micah Andrews 142

Thanks. Funny that I was sure it had happened within the last 10 years but I don't remember Deandre Martin at all.

DeAndre Martin was a big RB from Miami. Think that he only made it through his RS Sophomore year at WF. Here is his bio:
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/deandre_martin_761647.html

WF has had 3 100 yard rushers in the same game twice. Both in the early 70s; each time with the same 3 players:

November 7, 1970: Ken Garrett 141, Larry Russell 106, Larry Hopkins 103; WF 28 Duke 14
November 13, 1971: Ken Garrett 131, Larry Russell 112, Larry Hopkins 103; WF 23 Duke 7 (Hilarious that WF essentially did the same thing to Duke two years in a row; love it).

Also, kind of typical for WF to have two games with 3 100 yard rushers, and not crack 30 in either game. Almost impossible.

Last edited:
He said RBs. I think it happened sometime in the last 10 years but I’m not sure.

I really don't care if our 2 100 yard rushers are both rbs.
If we can do it with an RB and a QB, then great. If our QB can run for 100 yds, then it's much more likely to ope up our passing game.
Summary - if we can generate lots and lots of yards, I don't care how we do it.

In college football news Paul Finebaum called Butch Jones a "pathetic carny barker," while Aaron Murray referred to Jeremy Pruitt as "disrespectful" and questioned whether "his personality is fit to be a head coach."

Some South Point numbers on ACC team win totals:

BC 5.5, Clemson 11, Duke 6.5, FSU 7.5, GT 5.5, Louisville 7, Miami 10, NC State 7, UNC 5, Pitt 5.5, Syracuse 6, UVa 5, VT 8.5 & Wake 6. Also ND is 9.5

Some South Point numbers on ACC team win totals:

BC 5.5, Clemson 11, Duke 6.5, FSU 7.5, GT 5.5, Louisville 7, Miami 10, NC State 7, UNC 5, Pitt 5.5, Syracuse 6, UVa 5, VT 8.5 & Wake 6. Also ND is 9.5

I'd bet:

BC - Over - probably the most obvious to me
Clemson - Under - also seems obvious, unless you really think they're going undefeated, as one loss is a push
Duke - Under
FSU - Over - seems obvious if (big if) Francois is healthy
GT - Over - triple option shenanigans
Louisville - Push - probably would go under if I had to
Miami - Under - Coastal sucks, but Miami was very overrated last year, as exposed at the end
NCSU - Over - Senior semi-elite QB and good WRs
UNC - Under - Fedora on his way out
Pitt - Under - PSU, @UCF, @ND non-con dooms them out of a bowl
Cuse - Over - joke non-con minus ND, also get FSU, UL, NCSU at home and Dungey is legit at QB
UVA - Over - joke schedule + Coastal
VT - Over - lost a lot, so unsure here
Wake - Over - scarily obvious, but homerism in play
ND - Under - always overrated + tough schedule

I'm gonna be making the trip up to Happy Valley with some Mountaineer friends opening weekend to see App State get dismantled. I'm mostly going because Beaver Stadium is on my bucket list and Penn State should be damn good again this year, so I'm hoping the home crowd will be hyped. Will be the biggest football stadium I've ever been to, saw App play Tennessee in Neyland a couple years ago and had a blast. That was a great game and Neyland is a cool ass stadium.

Anyways I've been watching preseason hype videos to get me by till September. This has alot of Greg Dortch in it so I figured I would share here:

zqglass, I made it there in '02. Great gameday atmosphere. Get to the ice cream shop on campus. It's made by the dairy school and is about a 15 minute walk from the stadium.

Back