• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Heres my idea: have the 4 highest ranked teams who arent in conference championships play each other on conference championship weekend. After that weekend, take the five P5 winners, the 2 weekend non-con winners, and 1 at-large team, seed them 1-8 and have a playoff. That ensures all the top teams play each other, the conference championship remains relevant, and the best team that doesn't win its conference championship still makes the playoff.

in this scenario it's better to be LSU or Florida than Georgia

Unsurprisingly the ACC and Big 10 games are both poop

Switched over to the MWC game on ESPN and it’s a fucking blizzard. I’m in.

Bama did what had to be done. Gutsy win.

It was, but GA should have pinned Bama deep rather than that stupid fake punt that fooled no one. That play swung massive momentum to Bama. Hurts played really well when he had too and they earned it.

I can’t see a 2 loss GA team in playoff although I would prefer them over ND pussies

Only real solution is to back to 8-10 team conferences, and then play a round robin conference schedule with the conference champions making the playoff. Would be super tight, but unfortunately I think we’re too far gone for that.

Only real solution is to back to 8-10 team conferences, and then play a round robin conference schedule with the conference champions making the playoff. Would be super tight, but unfortunately I think we’re too far gone for that.

I agree.

Yep but long gone

A true round-robin is playing every team home and away. I'd be all about that, but don't think that's happening

I proposed a hypothetical. I don’t see how their season as is is relevant.

In the hypothetical, their whole season matters. It means nothing now. The regular season is mostly irrelevant. A handful of games matter each week.

In the hypothetical, their whole season matters. It means nothing now. The regular season is mostly irrelevant. A handful of games matter each week.

If the regular season mattered, UCF is in over 1-loss teams.

Unsurprisingly the ACC and Big 10 games are both poop

Switched over to the MWC game on ESPN and it’s a fucking blizzard. I’m in.

I’ve never seen the yard lines and hashmarks superimposed on the field before. That’s pretty neat.

No, in the hypothetical, only the conference championship game matters once their appearance is clinched.

Their case is even stronger after winning with the backup QB.

But they won’t get in because of the weight we give to conference schedules. Except for the teams that win the conferences if they aren’t the right teams.

By winning the Big 10 West...?

Right, so their regular season mattered. The last couple games maybe didn’t, but there are plenty of games that don’t matter in conference play for the 6 teams that have a shot anyway. More games matter with autobids. Not less.

Right, so their regular season mattered. The last couple games maybe didn’t, but there are plenty of games that don’t matter in conference play for the 6 teams that have a shot anyway. More games matter with autobids. Not less.

Sure, I never said that the regular season, in its entirety, wouldn’t matter. Only that some teams, after clinching a conference championship game appearance, could potentially rest players late in the regular season, which could lead to losses that would probably not otherwise happen. Those teams, in the setting of auto bids, could then go on to win their conference and get in the CFP. In a season with so few data points, that seems less than ideal.

Maybe I view college football differently, but I’ve always seen it as a “Beatuy Pageant”. It’s the only major sport, college or professional, that crowns it’s champion based on regular season. In every other major sport, the best regular season team does not always win the championship in their postseason.

Back