• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

A great man once said, "To be the man (whoo!), you gotta beat the man."

Georgia didn't beat the man. So give three other teams a chance to do so.

Forget the playoff or the system, anyone who doesn’t think UGA was one of the four best teams in the country wasn’t watching college football.

Completely agree with UGA being one of the best 4 as of this weekend, but unfortunately for UGA they evaluate the whole season and the LSU bomb coupled with CFP's committee previous quotes about importance of conf. championships made it impossible for them to leave out OU. If UGA's only loss was to Bama in SEC champ. then both are moving forward, but you couldn't leave a conf. champions out who also only had one reg season loss especially since OU lost a very close one to a top 15 UT team. Granted OU's D is complete trash and they may need to score 70/game to win NC, but Murray is so dynamic you know comm. members want to give them a chance representing another conf.

As I said, forget the playoff and the system. UGA is one of the four best teams in the country.

Ok. So hold a parade.

hooray for the Dawgs
print some t-shirts or something
life ain't always fair

so. much. whining.

You got to win some big games, UGa really didn't. Their best win was against a Florida team that was improved, but not quite there yet. If UGa had played Bama in the regular season as well and lost another close one, they'd still be considered one of the 4 best teams by the metrics people are stating probably, but with 3 losses you wouldn't even give them a thought for the playoffs. People preach that the regular season needs to mean something, well that game vs. LSU meant something and UGa lost. If they'd have beat LSU and lost like they did to Bama in the SECCG they'd be in I think.

There's an argument that Kentucky was Georgia's best win. Georgia beat Kentucky at Kentucky while beating Florida on a neutral field (albeit in the state of Florida) while Kentucky beat Florida in the swamp.

As I said, forget the playoff and the system. UGA is one of the four best teams in the country.

Ok. So hold a parade.

hooray for the Dawgs
print some t-shirts or something
life ain't always fair

so. much. whining.

There's an argument that Kentucky was Georgia's best win. Georgia beat Kentucky at Kentucky while beating Florida on a neutral field (albeit in the state of Florida) while Kentucky beat Florida in the swamp.

True. Apologies for forgetting about the Kentucky win. UGa had their chances and didn't get it done. I think the committee got it right. Oklahoma had a close loss to a ranked Texas and avenged in the Big 12 Title game, they deserved to be the 4th team. UGa was 5th with OSU 6th and I think UGa deserved the nod over OSU simply because OSU's loss was by 4 TD's to a Purdue team that barely made a bowl game. So even with 2 losses, UGa was ahead of them. If Oklahoma's sole loss was to say Baylor, then maybe UGa gets in over them.

Expand to 8 teams?
Sounds great, but then we'd miss those
Georgia Bulldog tears

You people go from telling me that Georgia shouldn't be in the playoff because they're not one of the best teams to telling me you don't care if they expand the playoff to include teams that have no business playing for a national championship.

In the current system, UGA shouldn't be in the playoff. In what we're proposing, they would be in the playoff this year. Shouldn't that make you happy?

11-14 seeds win in the NCAA tournament all the time (and occasionally go to the Final 4). Do they have no business competing for a national championship?

Expand to 8 teams?
Sounds great, but then we'd miss those
Georgia Bulldog tears

No tears here. Disappointment, but no tears. UGA will be ranked pre-season top two or three next year. This year’s team was simply not as good as last year. Th 2018 class had twice as many five stars as any other school. 2019 is starting off to be just as good. All you can do is keep giving yourself a shot, which UGA is doing.

Other than AL, any other program you’d rather be going into next year than UGA?

Count me out among the people who are grumbling about another potential Clemson-Bama game. The two championship games to date have been great games.
Looking at Clemson's opponents for next year, they've just got to beat A&M at home, Gamecocks on the road, and what will likely be a crappy ACC again. Don't see why it won't be Bama and Clemson strolling into the playoff again next year, although maybe someone will beat Bama in SEC-West or SECCG. The ACC has just point blank been a bad conference since FSU's decline.

Expand to 8 teams, then teams 9 to 16 start bitching. Same way the Bball natty grew. It will never end.

Looking at Clemson's opponents for next year, they've just got to beat A&M at home, Gamecocks on the road, and what will likely be a crappy ACC again. Don't see why it won't be Bama and Clemson strolling into the playoff again next year, although maybe someone will beat Bama in SEC-West or SECCG. The ACC has just point blank been a bad conference since FSU's decline.

Yeah. Of course, we also thought Miami and VT (especially Miami) were going to be consistently top 10 teams.

No tears here. Disappointment, but no tears. UGA will be ranked pre-season top two or three next year. This year’s team was simply not as good as last year. Th 2018 class had twice as many five stars as any other school. 2019 is starting off to be just as good. All you can do is keep giving yourself a shot, which UGA is doing.

Other than AL, any other program you’d rather be going into next year than UGA?

All the ones that don’t have to beat Alabama to get to the playoff.

Back