• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

In the current system, UGA shouldn't be in the playoff. In what we're proposing, they would be in the playoff this year. Shouldn't that make you happy?

11-14 seeds win in the NCAA tournament all the time (and occasionally go to the Final 4). Do they have no business competing for a national championship?

WTF does that have to do with anything ? You think a 4-seed would win the national championship ?

What’s the biff connection to UGa?

I don’t know Biff’s connection. My son is a UGA alum. We usually get two games in Athens every year. I am a Deac season ticket holder, so we try to attend games in Athens when the Deacs are on the road. This year we saw Auburn and GA Tech in Athens and went to the UGA/USC game in Columbia. Athens is such a cool town with a great game day atmosphere.

Expand to 8 teams, then teams 9 to 16 start bitching. Same way the Bball natty grew. It will never end.

Not if it's only 8 conference champs. Win your conference championship. Play for a national championship.

WTF does that have to do with anything ? You think a 4-seed would win the national championship ?

OSU did in 2014. Alabama did last year.

Unless you're talking about basketball, when 12 4 seeds or worse have played for the national championship and 4 have won it.

Unless you're talking about basketball, when 12 4 seeds or worse have played for the national championship and 4 have won it.

UGA was the #4 seed going into last weekend, and they blew a late 14 point lead to the clear-cut #1. Of course a 4 seed could win the NC.

I'm talking about a 16-team playoff in football. Do you think a 4-seed would win that ? Not the overall #4 seed.

for the record, I have nothing against Georgia; WF has a winning record against them all-time

UGA's one of the better programs we can say that about, behind only

Texas A&M
Oregon
Mississippi
Army
Navy
Rutgers

I'm talking about a 16-team playoff in football. Do you think a 4-seed would win that ? Not the overall #4 seed.

Whoever said to expand to 16? I think OSU, UGA, Michigan, and Washington (conf champ) would all have legitimate chances to win an 8 team playoff. Michigan and Washington much less, but it's not 0%.

Seeding based upon the top 16 teams in the last FBS ranking, a 16 team tourney would like this

1 Bama
16 WV

8 UCF
9 Washington

5 UGA
12 Penn State

4 OK
13 Washington State

3 ND
14 KY

6 tOSU
11 LSU

7 Michigan
10 Florida

2 Clemson
15 Texas

While I don't think that Wazzu, KY, Texas or WV could win the title, definitely possible for those teams to win a game or two. Would be fun to follow (the total on the Wazzu/OU game would be 80+).

Last edited:
Seeding based upon the top 16 teams in the last FBS ranking, a 16 team tourney would like this

1 Bama
16 WV

8 UCF
9 Washington

5 UGA
12 Penn State

4 OK
13 Washington State

3 ND
14 KY

6 tOSU
11 LSU

7 Michigan
10 Florida

2 Clemson
15 Texas

While I don't think that Wazzu, KY, Texas or WV could win the title, definitely possible for those teams to win a game or two. Would be fun to follow (the total on the Wazzu/OU game would be 80+).

If you do this then they need a 10 game regular season with no conference championship. Just take the top 16 teams using a power ranking formula and do a 16 team playoff. I can dig it. The games that need to be eliminated should be the rando games against shitty FCS schools and non P5 out of conference games. Just play 8 conference games and 2 challenging out of conference games. In doing this they need to trim the bowls back to 20 or so, even if it means it'll negatively effect Wake.

If you do this then they need a 10 game regular season with no conference championship. Just take the top 16 teams using a power ranking formula and do a 16 team playoff. I can dig it. The games that need to be eliminated should be the rando games against shitty FCS schools and non P5 out of conference games. Just play 8 conference games and 2 challenging out of conference games. In doing this they need to trim the bowls back to 20 or so, even if it means it'll negatively effect Wake.

Why would they need to trim the bowls? I know this effectively ads 12 games to the postseason but you're eliminating way more regular season games. Plus, there are very few bowls that aren't broadcasted by ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. There's room for 78 teams to still make the postseason under this system.

FCS schools play an 11 game schedule and a 24 team tourney. Agree with a 16 team playoff a conference CG is not necessary, but think that a 11 or 12 game schedule is doable. FWIW, D3 teams play a 10 game schedule a 32 team tournament.

The number of bowls is irrelevant. There are too many, but the explosion in the number of bowl games was created because of the need for TV programming. Don't see that changing. The Bahmas Bowl is played before 100s of fans, but ESPN is willing to pony up enough cash to cover the travel; so teams play in it.

This is fantastic. Biff should have to watch/listen to this on repeat. Never really liked Klatt all that much until this year, but he's turning into one of my favorite talking heads (and Herbstreit is plummeting).

Klatt and Gus on Fox are much better than anyone on ESPN, IMHO - only behind Danielson/Nessler.

Why would they need to trim the bowls? I know this effectively ads 12 games to the postseason but you're eliminating way more regular season games. Plus, there are very few bowls that aren't broadcasted by ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. There's room for 78 teams to still make the postseason under this system.

FCS schools play an 11 game schedule and a 24 team tourney. Agree with a 16 team playoff a conference CG is not necessary, but think that a 11 or 12 game schedule is doable. FWIW, D3 teams play a 10 game schedule a 32 team tournament.

The number of bowls is irrelevant. There are too many, but the explosion in the number of bowl games was created because of the need for TV programming. Don't see that changing. The Bahmas Bowl is played before 100s of fans, but ESPN is willing to pony up enough cash to cover the travel; so teams play in it.

Sometimes I forget these are teenagers and they can withstand a few extra games. So yeah, I'm good with that. A 16 team playoff is realistically the only way the Deacs have a shot at playing for a natty. Lets do it.

Back