• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

I should’ve added I love the tough guy look by all 3 LBs wearing the high neck guards. You don’t see that much these days.

What the hell is wrong with people these days? Literally everything is about race. It’s really quite sad.

I just don’t see how you can determine that short. One of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen in the replay era.

Would love for Navy to recover the upcoming onside kick and have a chance to to tie or win.

This is such a great game. I hate for either team to lose.
Go USA

Last edited:
For anyone that watched the post game of the Army-Navy game and the singing of each alma mater, it brings back memories of a few years ago when we beat Army at Homecoming. After the game, each team stood in front of their band - Wake first, then Army - with the opposing team standing behind them, and sang their alma mater. We both have the same song, with different words. It was cool.

Great game per usual. The 2nd half of that fourth quarter was extremely physical. It seemed about every other play someone would get lit up. Always a joy to to watch this game.

I have always been partial to Army after reading an article a few years ago discussing how Navy and Air Force have always given their football players significant breaks in weekly and summer camp schedules versus Army, whose players follow the same protocol as other non athletes at West Point. West Point brass has stood hard on this principle over the years, unless something has changed recently.

Just like how a coach can leave before a bowl game for a more lucrative one?

Exactly. And let’s not act like the coaches aren’t totally complicit in getting next year’s starters much needed reps—as opposed to showcasing the talents of guys playing their last game with the team. Sure they’d do it gladly but they’re happy to play next year’s presumptive starters.

Something did change when Monken took over. He’s obviously an excellent coach and that matters. But he also got Army to make some concessions for football players.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nights-striving-beat-navy-turn-program-around

...In truth, the demands of being a cadet nip away in a thousand different ways at what it takes to remain elite and competitive at college football's highest level. As such, three years ago, under General Caslen's guidance and Monken's urging, Army set down the long, hard road of introspection. It began to make changes.

"The institution has taken this seriously," Pete Dawkins says. "It's made some significant adjustments -- interestingly, similar to the ones that the Naval Academy made a number of years ago."

The first order of business: reconsidering football players' summers. Cadets spend the bulk of each summer in military training, right in the heart of the season. They're on the rifle range. They learn how to fire mortars. They take on night patrols. And they return for football training camp, oftentimes, with stress fractures and 20 fewer pounds from the physical exertion. Army not only adjusted the timing -- football players now head out for military training as soon as the spring semester ends -- but also accelerated the training schedule to three-and-a-half weeks.

The Army has adapted to Army football in other ways too. The football players take part in Beast Barracks but do so in fewer days. They no longer make the 12-mile march from Camp Buckner to West Point that marks the end of basic training and official beginning of cadet tenure with the larger cadet corps.

Gaylord Greene is quick to point out that these are not concessions but modifications. The football players are cadets and must meet all cadet requirements -- but now in a new time frame more conducive to winning football. Those changes, however small, are not nearly so vital as what Army's newfound willingness to embrace those changes portends: a 21st-century approach to major college football.

I love it that Monken got things turned around, had now beaten Navy 3 straight times to keep it a competitive rivalry and he has won 10 games and is ranked this season. Wow.

For those planning on going into the draft, top picks skip somewhat meaningless bowl games to avoid injury. everyone else wants to play the bowl games, to potentially improve their draft status.

Haven't heard anything from 2 way first team all-ACC pick Greg Dortch as to whether he is considering the NFL draft in the spring. Figured he might be going the way of Jesse Bates considering his injury history and the need for good slot receivers in the NFL!

It'll be a while before I'm willing to think Army's football program is worthy of praise... https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/02/07/wake-forest-army-wakey-leaks

Don't forget there were other schools involved and along with Elrod & Bateman you also had former Wake AND Army assistant Ray McCartney in on this one. They knew every play we were running that day in BB&T Field and it did make them bowl eligible that year. Irrespective of that I like seeing the academies do well and they do it right with academics and going on to serve our country.

Back