• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

People keep saying Dabo isn’t really a coach, and I don’t know if that’s fair. I want to believe that, but it’s really hard to argue with the results.

People keep saying Dabo isn’t really a coach, and I don’t know if that’s fair. I want to believe that, but it’s really hard to argue with the results.

I bet a lot of people would like to have a 'non-coach' like Dabo.

tOSU qb who just started the playoff games and then went pro.

Not really sure what this means. Cardale Jones came back after he won the national championship in 2014. Prob would have been a 2nd-3rd rounder and ended up 4th round the next year after a messy, season-long QB battle (he ultimately lost) with JT Barrett in 2015.

Keep in mind his staff would be expensive as well. I'd think Dabo would get $10M+other incentives and stuff (like a water park or something) and his staff would probably combine for $15-20M.

If it’s all about injury, why bother with college at all? Or even high school? Just find promising 12 year olds and let them train by themselves in a NFL practice facility.

The raving about Lawrence is ridiculous in the big scheme of things. Sure he looks great but the list of championship and Heisman freshmen QBs isn’t a list of sure things. Look on the field last night. Tua got exposed and Hurt got passed over. Jameis looked fantastic as a freshman and he’s a questionable NFL starter. And then there is Manziel.

So let’s pump the brakes on Lawrence and let him play as long as he wants in college.

You are the worst when it comes to mischaracterizing statements to try to make a point.

Of course, Lawrence should be able to play in college as long as he wants that was the initial premise that you disputed. Lawrence should not be forced to play college football for three years as his only option to play competitive tackle football if there are NFL teams are willing to pay him to play. It should be the player's decision when/if to get paid to play, like it is for every other adult over the age of 18.

Dabo's post-game interview was straight recruiting. He wants to paint Clemson as the Little Engine That Could, because everyone loves an underdog, and assure parents that their son is left in the charge of a good, Christian coach. My mom wanted to sign with Clemson after that interview. He's probably sincere, but laying it on that thick was recruiting. Then two of his players were even less subtle with their "come to Clemson" plea.

Question is: Since Clemson is recruiting at SEC levels, does that mean they are paying under the table at those levels? If so, when will the rest of the ACC catch up?

If Saban retired today, and Alabama came after Dabo, how much should they offer him?

and how much should Clemson counter with? (since we aren't paying players)

I would guess (and it's a wild-ass guess) Dabo's easily worth $20-$30 million per over a Tommy West or Tommy Bowden

I'm not only considering football revenue in this guess

I don't think he would come even though its his alma mater. He knows he has a way easier time of things in the ACC vs the SEC and getting to the playoff. Not sure what the Bama plan is when Nick decides to step away.

I think it depends on how you define coach. I think Dabo does a lot more coaching of the players off the field needs then on the field. In other words, I don't think Dabo is sitting in the offensive and defensive meetings putting in a lot of input in the game planning and I don't think he's out on the field teaching the players about pad level and getting their hips turned and all that. I think his "coaching" emphasis is on promoting the program to recruits, parents, donors and fans, and doing everything he can to make the player's experience as good as possible. In this day of major college teams having almost as many coaches as players, that's probably not a bad model for a head coach. I'm not saying he doesn't know football, I'm sure he knows a ton and I'm sure he makes coaching decisions, I just think it's a different approach to say Sabin who probably has his hands on everything. Remember Dabo, was never even a coordinator, I think the AD probably saw his personality and energy for the program and thought it was worth a shot to make him the interim after Tommy Bowden got canned to see how it went. I'd say it's gone better than anyone could've imagined.

I don't think he would come even though its his alma mater. He knows he has a way easier time of things in the ACC vs the SEC and getting to the playoff. Not sure what the Bama plan is when Nick decides to step away.

I think Dabo is too smart to do that. Why would he want to go somewhere and follow the legend which often doesn't end up well, when he is the legend at Clemson and he's now shown that Clemson can be every bit of the program Alabama is.

I think it depends on how you define coach. I think Dabo does a lot more coaching of the players off the field needs then on the field. In other words, I don't think Dabo is sitting in the offensive and defensive meetings putting in a lot of input in the game planning and I don't think he's out on the field teaching the players about pad level and getting their hips turned and all that. I think his "coaching" emphasis is on promoting the program to recruits, parents, donors and fans, and doing everything he can to make the player's experience as good as possible. In this day of major college teams having almost as many coaches as players, that's probably not a bad model for a head coach. I'm not saying he doesn't know football, I'm sure he knows a ton and I'm sure he makes coaching decisions, I just think it's a different approach to say Sabin who probably has his hands on everything. Remember Dabo, was never even a coordinator, I think the AD probably saw his personality and energy for the program and thought it was worth a shot to make him the interim after Tommy Bowden got canned to see how it went. I'd say it's gone better than anyone could've imagined.

Is there any evidence that backs up the idea that he’s completely hands off of Xs & Os? It’s not like he was never a coach at any level before this job.

Is there any evidence that backs up the idea that he’s completely hands off of Xs & Os? It’s not like he was never a coach at any level before this job.

No, but watching him on the sideline I think it's fairly evident he's not too involved in the playcalling. I doubt he's completely hands off, I can't imagine a head coach not putting his foot down if there is something he has a big problem with. I'm not saying he's a stiff when it comes to X's and O's, I just think he wisely knows where his energies are best spent and hires very good assistants and keeps them for the most part.

Dabo has shown everyone the blueprint. No coaching turnover, get draft eligible players to stick around, recruit an elite roster complete with first overall quarterback, etc.

You are the worst when it comes to mischaracterizing statements to try to make a point.

Of course, Lawrence should be able to play in college as long as he wants that was the initial premise that you disputed. Lawrence should not be forced to play college football for three years as his only option to play competitive tackle football if there are NFL teams are willing to pay him to play. It should be the player's decision when/if to get paid to play, like it is for every other adult over the age of 18.

No. You're the worst. It's clear to anybody but you that my whole post, including the bold is saying media shouldn't obsess about pro prospects of players who aren't planning to be in the draft. Feel free to respond to that, not whatever you make up. Obsess about if he'll be the best QB in college football next year. Talk about Clemson's prospects to repeat. But don't worry about if he'd be the first pick this year or even if he'll be the first pick in 2021.

of course they should talk about the pro potential for people that are not draft eligible, if only to add to the pressure against anti-labor regulations

No. You're the worst. It's clear to anybody but you that my whole post, including the bold is saying media shouldn't obsess about pro prospects of players who aren't planning to be in the draft. Feel free to respond to that, not whatever you make up. Obsess about if he'll be the best QB in college football next year. Talk about Clemson's prospects to repeat. But don't worry about if he'd be the first pick this year or even if he'll be the first pick in 2021.

OK, now you are the thought police and dictating what people should or should not talk about?

Simply making the observation that it's an unfair labor restraint to keep an adult from earning income as a pro football player if that is the preferred path for a person with the ability to excel in that field, like Lawrence and/or Ross. That's not obsessing about their pro prospects; it's calling out blatant age discrimination. To say that he will "earn it on the backend" does not address the issue that the NFL and NCAA are discriminating against those under 21 that have the ability to earn life changing money playing pro football.

Back