• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Not happy or unhappy. Don't give a shit about App football. And why should I? I care about their program like I care about Elon University, Liberty, etc.

Much better to lose to Texas, Ohio State, or Nebraska than lose a three point game to App and have to listen to it for 15 years. Did y'all know App beat Michigan a few years back. Sick of fucking hearing that shit over and over and over. Sons of bitches act like it's as historical as 9/11.

Sounds kind of like you do a little bit here. But okay. I agree that Wake scheduling App is a horrible decision, get nothing for a win and lose everything with a loss. I would love to play any of the other teams you mentioned.

I don't think its fair to Clawson, the players, or ourselves to be scared to schedule teams like Oklahoma, Penn State, and Southern Cal just because they walked us back in the 70's. I don't know about you guys but I didn't really "get up" for either of our games against Tulane and you can't tell me that some of the players were the same way (judging by our level of play in both of those games). You can't tell me that Satterfield and company aren't winning a few extra recruits every year by showing them their future OOC schedule and their success against teams like Michigan, Tennessee, and (now) Penn State. I understand that they have to schedule as many strong OOC opponents as they can due to their conference schedule being so weak, but it still says something. Give me a home and home (which we can successfully bargain unlike App) vs. a Tennessee or a Penn State over one of the shitty home and home's we've scheduled over the next half decade. We will still have a fairly weak OOC even with a marquee game every year. You don't get better by playing weaker teams.

ETA: and I know, I know "but NOTRE DAME!". Yes the few games we've played against them and have on our future schedule are the only non conference (technically not now?) games that I've been remotely excited about since we played Nebraska.

App plays in a shit conference, so their payday marquee game is their only chance against a big boy all year. We play at a minimum FSU and Clemson home and home every year.

So Loh completely misrepresenting what someone is saying. All I want is a marquee non-conference opponent a year. And inspectah took the words right out of my mouth about the program being in a different state -- which has largely been brought on by the ACC strengthening and our wanting to match that.

The other three non-conf games don't have to be particularly difficult -- if I were AD I wouldn't send us to a place like Tulane or the service academies (regularly at least) where we could easily lose and get little benefit out of it. If you're taking the chance you could lose then might as well go for broke

Well then what are you carping about? Didn't you say to heck with bowl games earlier? We're already playing ND in addition to our divisional foes who are very, very tough. Wake generally tries to schedule other P5 teams that are similar in stature to our program rather than the Alabamas and Ohio States. That's a good thing. If you think things have changed so much since the 70s that we're immune from embarrassment you only need to look at our vaunted basketball program to see how quickly that can be wiped to the ground with no apparent roadmap to return to respectability. You all whine about us not playing top opponents then back down from your earlier rhetoric.

2018 - ND (Top 10 ND at Home - exciting enough for recruits?)
2019 - UNC (non-ACC game - brilliant for fan base and 25 guys on roster from NC)
2020 - ND at Charlotte (play in an NFL stadium close to campus (wish was on campus))
2021 - @UNC (non-ACC game - huge for in state recruiting - wish I could buy my tickets now)
2022 - @Vandy (Nashville trip for fans, SEC for recruits)
2023 - @ND (went last year, all fans and players raves about the experience even in lousy weather)
2024 - Ole Miss (hello SEC, was a fun series in ‘06/‘08)
2025 - @Ole Miss (last time Wake went there, season ended in ACC championship and recruits won’t hate the talent)
2026 - @Purdue (Them and NW are exactly who Wake should be doing H&H with - Jessie Bates territory for recruiting)
2027 - ND
2028 - Purdue
2029 -@ND

Whatever list of complaints you have with Wake’s athletic department this phenomonal use of OOC scheduling should not be on it. Almost perfection. You want to go see Oklahoma or Penn St, pick a Wake bye week and fly to Norman or Happy Valley (preferably a night game) like I will be doing over the next decade.

And bowl games matter A LOT. Shreveport any year >>> than one trip to Norman, Oklahoma.

Miami cannot keep running this Rosier out. He is terrible.

Agreed. The guy sucks donkey dicks. Don't understand all the hype and love he gets from the announcers. He was bad last year and has not improved.

Another big difference these days is that there is a LOT more talent available for recruiting. Plus in the "old days" teams like Nebraska, Okla, Alabama, Michigan, OSU etc carried 100 players, many of those were kids that could have started at a Wake but got little burn at those other schools. The increasing number of talented players and the limit on scholarships has helped to level the playing field some

And bowl games matter A LOT. Shreveport any year >>> than one trip to Norman, Oklahoma.

A very good post otherwise, but I couldn't disagree more with this. And again, they aren't mutually exclusive anyway.

My comments were less intended as a criticism of current practice than my fervent opinion on the matter.

I do wish we lined up a couple higher caliber opponents than the ones we've scheduled, but at least there's some variety in the P5 opponents we're scheduling and I know we want to get these teams to Wake as opposed to BofA or something (though I think that's worth doing with some opponents). And we are hamstrung by the ND series (not that it's a bad thing) and the dumb as shit divisional setup where we only play one of our rivals once every seven years. The UNC non-conference games are going to be stupid, sad it has to come to that

I mean getting elite teams to come to wake is going to be a rare occasion.

I'd be alright with a 2-for-1, but I'm guessing our AD isn't. Doesn't seem to be common these days anyway given our App series and Miami going places like App and Toledo, etc.

I'd be alright with a 2-for-1, but I'm guessing our AD isn't. Doesn't seem to be common these days anyway given our App series and Miami going places like App and Toledo, etc.
Why do that one we essentially have a home-and-home long-term contract with Notre Dame Clemson and FSU? Because of our membership in the ACC we don't have to go slumming for elite games.

There's no variety there though -- maybe a little with ND but that will die off soon.

And I think you olds are overstating FSU more than a tad. They had a nice two-year run with Jameis but other than that they've hardly been an all-conquering force this century. The '90s may live long in your memories but today's recruits weren't even born then. So we'll see if they can get back to that level -- they are not a program that should be regarded as an auto L every year like they are being made out to be

I'd prefer a nine game ACC schedule without an inter-divisional rival. Three games against Coastal division teams each year would mean playing all but one conference team every other year. Play one P5 team OOC every year. Play one FBS team OOC game every year. Play one FCS team OOC each year.

I'd prefer a nine game ACC schedule without an inter-divisional rival. Three games against Coastal division teams each year would mean playing all but one conference team every other year. Play one P5 team OOC every year. Play one FBS team OOC game every year. Play one FCS team OOC each year.

Agreed. This makes sense.

I'd like either to get rid of divisions or migrate over the Pac-12's setup with nine conf games and all the NC schools (Cali there) play each other every year.

Divisions do help us in a way in that we only need to be better than six teams as opposed to 12 to make the ACCCG, but given the current outlay of teams I'm not sure they help us much

There's no variety there though -- maybe a little with ND but that will die off soon.

And I think you olds are overstating FSU more than a tad. They had a nice two-year run with Jameis but other than that they've hardly been an all-conquering force this century. The '90s may live long in your memories but today's recruits weren't even born then. So we'll see if they can get back to that level -- they are not a program that should be regarded as an auto L every year like they are being made out to be

While I agree with you the two bolded statements do not go together. They are still recruiting at an elite level, and honestly, besides the Jameis years, have probably underachieved. The kids and recruits still flock to FSU like they are a top 5ish program. They will always recruit well and the 100 million football specific building won't do anything but improve that. The coaching has kept them back recently and i'm not sure if Willie T will change that.

A very good post otherwise, but I couldn't disagree more with this. And again, they aren't mutually exclusive anyway.

My comments were less intended as a criticism of current practice than my fervent opinion on the matter.

I do wish we lined up a couple higher caliber opponents than the ones we've scheduled, but at least there's some variety in the P5 opponents we're scheduling and I know we want to get these teams to Wake as opposed to BofA or something (though I think that's worth doing with some opponents). And we are hamstrung by the ND series (not that it's a bad thing) and the dumb as shit divisional setup where we only play one of our rivals once every seven years. The UNC non-conference games are going to be stupid, sad it has to come to that

We did line up a higher caliber opponent last year by winning 7 regular season games and getting to play big-time national program Texas A&M in an NFL stadium practically in our back yard; you don't get that by going 4-4 in the ACC and losing to Oklahoma on the road.
And as far as our playing Appalachian as a "nothing to win/everything to lose " game, outside of Boone and W-S (which are not our prime recruiting areas) no one cares, but as far as the game-day atmosphere it's a win-win for both fan bases and the players (at least for now, the actual excitement and entertainment of the 30-40K fans who go to the games still matters somewhat)
I think yours is a weak argument, but if you can point out another P5 school who competes at the same level as we do for fan support, recruits and wins/bowl bids and follows your model, I'm all ears.

FSU just acting fucking stupid. Kick the damn ball, idiots.

We need divisional siblings to lose to non-divisional cousins.

Back