• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

GO HOKIES!!!!!

There is absolutely zero reason for us to pull for F$U in this game. We don't play VT and an early F$U loss helps crush their confidence for the season.

VT is pounding this down their throats

Remember FSU was a 6-6 team last year that had to talk La. Monroe into making up the game that got cancelled early in the year just to be bowl eligible. Yeah I know they lost their QB last year, but Taggert isn’t inherenting a ready made product.

Love seeing the professed experts proven wrong.

Go Hokies...let's have a beat down.

Love seeing the professed experts proven wrong.

Go Hokies...let's have a beat down.

It’s amazing how year after year the collective masses are desperately lining up to blow the names of the past (ND, FSU, Texas of late) without any data to support the take

Willie Taggart has gotten a lot of positive press as the new coach of FSU, but when I look at his record, I'm only a little impressed. So why all the hype about how he was the perfect coach for FSU? :confused:

It’s the desire for FSU to be relevant, you know, the whole deal about college football is better when teams like FSU and Miami are good, blah-blah-blah.

Willie Taggart has gotten a lot of positive press as the new coach of FSU, but when I look at his record, I'm only a little impressed. So why all the hype about how he was the perfect coach for FSU? :confused:
I always found it weird when he was immediately considered the front-runner when Jimbo left. For a top-5ish job, dude's track record is rather unimpressive and short.

We did line up a higher caliber opponent last year by winning 7 regular season games and getting to play big-time national program Texas A&M in an NFL stadium practically in our back yard; you don't get that by going 4-4 in the ACC and losing to Oklahoma on the road.

I disagree. Would the Belk Bowl have not taken us if we were 6-6 instead of 7-5? We hadn't played in the game in a long time and are a good local draw. I don't think that one non-loss got us over the top.

And as far as our playing Appalachian as a "nothing to win/everything to lose " game, outside of Boone and W-S (which are not our prime recruiting areas) no one cares, but as far as the game-day atmosphere it's a win-win for both fan bases and the players (at least for now, the actual excitement and entertainment of the 30-40K fans who go to the games still matters somewhat)

You'll notice I didn't criticize the App games. I think we do get something out of those, for the reasons you mention. I liked going to ECU back in the day as well for similar reasons.

I think yours is a weak argument, but if you can point out another P5 school who competes at the same level as we do for fan support, recruits and wins/bowl bids and follows your model, I'm all ears.

Calling scheduling one elite non-conference team a year a "model" seems a stretch. Duke's playing Alabama next year and played them a couple times a few years back. They've played Stanford too. I think they'll live.

I mean we scheduled Nebraska back in the day. We lost twice but that was pretty damn cool. I'd say you could be smart about it and schedule great road trips to programs that may not be what they once were, but that's tough since you do it so far ahead of time

I always found it weird when he was immediately considered the front-runner when Jimbo left. For a top-5ish job, dude's track record is rather unimpressive and short.

100% agree with this (and I’m sure I’ve posted it before). I doubt he’s a disaster, but it doesn’t seem like a sure thing to me.

I think because the hiring process went so quickly, it gave the impression that he was a home run hire.

Back