• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

I watched the game on the ESPN feed that featured Mack Brown, Jim Mora, Hugh Freeze, Gene Chizik, and Todd Graham. As the game wore on, they became more and more critical of the failure of the FSU offensive staff to adjust to VT's defense. They pointed out several times how FSU was running plays that had no chance against the defense VT was showing.

That has to be one of the worst offensive coaching performances I've ever watched. Every play call seemed to either be so laughably predictable that it played into the teeth of the VaTech defense, or a repeat of a play that had no chance to begin with. They kept throwing those lateral/sideline passes right up until the final pick in the 4th quarter despite never once catching a defender on a blitz or getting a positive result.

Sure, VaTech's defense was great - but not 3 points great. There were guys open when they weren't throwing on 3rd and 20, but they did nothing to help the O-line. At least when Wake's line was/is at a disadvantage we'll mix up some blocking schemes or get the QB rolling to open space. The FSU coaching staff seemed content to just continue getting dominated and hope Francois could scramble out of a collapsing pocket. Or content to get stuffed up the middle over and over again. IT was like coaching denial or something.

And did anyone catch the thing about the coaching staff making the guys hold hands, eat together, give each other compliments, etc? Players were too mean, apparently. They could have 4 losses by the time we play them.

For an FSU hater like myself, this game was the perfect ending to a great weekend.

Very true but I certainly didn't see this one coming. Thought all the losses on the VT defense were too much. Won't underestimate Bud Foster ever again. Not to mention the FSU O-line is terrible, just like the past 2 years and I don't think Francois is the answer.

Out of all of those, I think my "top picks" are: BYU, VT, UNC, Coastal Carolina, & WVU

4-1 isn't a bad start.

Had a good weekend overall... Notable misses were Washington & Michigan.

Can't wait to give it all back this week w/ the return of the NFL!

If anyone ever wants to die of alcohol poisoning, play the Bud Foster drinking game. Every time Palmer or Herbstreit say "Bud Foster" take a drink. Just be prepared to call an ambulance by half time.

Also, Taggart looked like a deer in headlights most of the game.

If anyone ever wants to die of alcohol poisoning, play the Bud Foster drinking game. Every time Palmer or Herbstreit say "Bud Foster" take a drink. Just be prepared to call an ambulance by half time.

And after. Dude had no clue what to say after that debacle.

Buddy of mine texted me this during the game:

Hokie Bingo!

Bud Foster’s defense
Toughness
Michael Vick
Lunch pail
Beamer Ball

Those last 3 sound a lot like Manning.

Except Taggart has had some success.

Quintin Flowers was a fantastic college QB and he executed Taggart’s system to perfection. FSU hasn’t recruited a QB like that since Charlie Ward. They’ve barely had good QBs.

I wonder if Taggart is simply tolerating Francois. He barely let his QB try to get them back into the game. Even Richt let Rozier air it out late to give Miami a fighting chance.

I'm sure you'll come up with some horseshit explanation as to why these two guys aren't "fantastic college QB(s)" who "executed (their coach's) system to perfection," not to mention how they're barely "good QBs," and how I have trouble understanding whatever it is you're trying to say.

img24375738.jpg

heismantrophy21075547873_t755_h22747a5f7956ba648186ef132ac73871ea391a7e.jpg

Biff, you should be more hesitant to show your ass.

First, Quintin Flowers was a legit dual-threat QB. He passed for 8013 yards and rushed for 3599 yards in 3 years as a starter. Based on Taggart's track record, that's the type of QB he needs to run his system. FSU hasn't had a QB like that since Charlie Ward. I hope you're not going to argue Jameis and Weinke fit that profile. If so, I look forward to it.

Second, FSU has barely had good QBs. Jameis and Weinke are the only memorable QBs they've had since Ward. That's the barely. After that, you're looking at what's her names' husband and dude who busted for the Bills.

Looking forward to your rebuttal.

Biff, you should be more hesitant to show your ass.

First, Quintin Flowers was a legit dual-threat QB. He passed for 8013 yards and rushed for 3599 yards in 3 years as a starter. Based on Taggart's track record, that's the type of QB he needs to run his system. FSU hasn't had a QB like that since Charlie Ward. I hope you're not going to argue Jameis and Weinke fit that profile. If so, I look forward to it.

Second, FSU has barely had good QBs. Jameis and Weinke are the only memorable QBs they've had since Ward. That's the barely. After that, you're looking at what's her names' husband and dude who busted for the Bills.

Looking forward to your rebuttal.

Xavier Lee was awesome, until he had to play.

These two guys won the Heisman by executing their coach's system. Did you say they haven't had a dual-threat QB ? Of course you didn't.

So you're telling me that these guys are the only barely good quarterbacks that FSU has had in 20 years ? Brad Johnson, Danny, Kanell, Christian Ponder and Xavier Lee also played in the NFL. FSU has had better QBs at Last Chance U than Wake's had.

Francois is a good quarterback. His line sucks and his coach lacks imagination.

Xavier Lee was awesome, until he had to play.

LOL. So true. Same for a lot of the overhyped FSU QBs.

For awhile, the running joke for awhile was that FSU had a white "pure passer" QB and a black "dual threat" QB and FSU fans thought both were the next Weinke and Ward. Ended up, both couldn't pass or run. Weatherford and X Lee in our 2006 game was the best example of this.

Ph and Taggart are buddies from USF. Of course he'll defend him when he's in way over his head against Va Tech.

LOL. So true. Same for a lot of the overhyped FSU QBs.

For awhile, the running joke for awhile was that FSU had a white "pure passer" QB and a black "dual threat" QB and FSU fans thought both were the next Weinke and Ward. Ended up, both couldn't pass or run. Weatherford and X Lee in our 2006 game was the best example of this.

Fooled the NFL scouts too. Not easy to do.

Biff, you're better than this "all black people know each other" nonsense.

Fooled the NFL scouts too. Not easy to do.

Who fooled the NFL scouts? Neither got drafted or had more than a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Anyway, this is good stuff. Tarik Cohen brought receipts.

40607180_875943292611621_2437903448155357184_n.jpg

Biff, you're better than this "all black people know each other" nonsense.

Who fooled the NFL scouts? Neither got drafted or had more than a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Are you saying you don't know don't know Taggart ? I generally assumed you knew the coaches at your school because of you enormous and obvious interest in sports, their generally being accessible at a non-Power 5 school, and the focus of your course offerings.

The way you supported his hiring made it seem like you were being reunited with a long lost friend. I honestly don't know much about him because I don't watch USF or OU games. I do know that FSU had recruiting classes ranked in the Top 5 for the three years preceding Taggart's arrival, so the bare cupboard argument seems dishonest (even if some of those guys didn't pan out or transferred).

Lee fooled the scouts I suppose.

Good for Tarik. Bad for Ruffin McNeill.

Except Taggart has had some success.

Quintin Flowers was a fantastic college QB and he executed Taggart’s system to perfection. FSU hasn’t recruited a QB like that since Charlie Ward. They’ve barely had good QBs.

I wonder if Taggart is simply tolerating Francois. He barely let his QB try to get them back into the game. Even Richt let Rozier air it out late to give Miami a fighting chance.

Except for the fact that he has an overall losing record at 47-51, I think he may end up being a good coach for FSU but right now a little bit ahead of his skis, somewhat similar to the position Chariie Strong was put in at Texas and Tom Herman also at Texas. Strong built his great resume at Louisville, long before they got in the ACC. Herman built his on a couple great years at Houston and being Urban's OC at OSU but 2 years as a head coach certainly my not make you ready for the huge media spotlight you are put under at UT. Taggert has had a few winning seasons at Western KY, USF & Oregon and one outstanding season at USF when he went 10-2. We shall see but winning big at USF/UCF/FAU/FIU/Houston is not at all like winning 10 games in the Power 5.

Back