• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

I've never been a jock sniffer.

I don't think FSU's cupboard is bare. I don't think Francois is that good and Taggart may only be effective with a certain type of QB. FSU's QB problems since Ward aside from Weinke and Jameis have been well documented.

Taggart has a losing record because when he took over WKU and USF both teams were in disarray. Each team went 2-10 in his first year and then massively improved after that; 4-20 will make any coach's overall record look bad when he has less than 10 years overall as a head coach. That's like holding Clawson's first year at WF against him when he had a mid-level FCS roster.

I've never been a jock sniffer.

I don't think FSU's cupboard is bare. I don't think Francois is that good and Taggart may only be effective with a certain type of QB. FSU's QB problems since Ward aside from Weinke and Jameis have been well documented.

Francois was pretty good as a freshman. 258 yards per game, 20 TDs/7 INTs, 58.8% completion rate. Fourt-time ACC Rookie of the Week, ACC Rookie of the Year.

Yeah. He had potential, but he looked like a lesser Jameis with a bigger, more erratic arm as a freshman. He doesn't even look like that post-injury and with a new coach so far.

These two guys won the Heisman by executing their coach's system. Did you say they haven't had a dual-threat QB ? Of course you didn't.

So you're telling me that these guys are the only barely good quarterbacks that FSU has had in 20 years ? Brad Johnson, Danny, Kanell, Christian Ponder and Xavier Lee also played in the NFL. FSU has had better QBs at Last Chance U than Wake's had.

Francois is a good quarterback. His line sucks and his coach lacks imagination.

Brad Johnson played in the 80's...
Danny Kanell graduated 23 years ago and is one of the worst color commentators in all of college football...
Christian Ponder's greatest claim to fame is having a hot wife who is 10 times as talented at her job as he was at his before he lost it....
Xavier Lee. Do I really need to even say anything?...

I would put Riley Skinner's sophomore through senior years, Tanner Price's junior year, and John Wolford's senior year up against any FSU qb's season other than Crab Legs Winston and Old Man Weinke any day of the week.

Winston started for 2 seasons and Weinke for 3. EJ Manuel did have one decent year and Francois' freshman year was good. That's seven impressive years at QB (really only 5 PREMIER) for a premier program over a 20 year timespan. I would even dare to say that Wolford's senior year rivals any of Winston or Weinke's.

Look at all of these BUM QB's that have started for the Noles since Weinke.

2001:
-Chris Rix: BUM

-Adrian McPherson: BUM
-Fabian Walker: BUM

-Adrian McPherson: BUM

-Wyatt Sexton: LOCO BUM

-Drew Weatherford: BUM

-Xavier Lee: BUM

-Xavier Lee: BUM

-Christian Ponder: BUM (hot wife)

-EJ Manuel: MEH

-Clint Trickett: DADDY'S LIL BUM

-Jameis Winston: CRABBY MCGEE

-Jameis Winston: GRABBY MCGEE

-Everett Golson: IRISH BUM
-Sean Maguire: DAD BOD BUM

-Deondre Francois: TBD
-Sean Maguire: DAD BOD BUM

-Deondre Francois: TBD
-James Blackman: TBD (FEED THIS MAN)

Everything is relative, but Ponder and Manuel were NFL first round picks.

We aren't talking about some BS rating of a HS QB just because of an FSU offer, but highly paid NFL front-office professionals who have dedicated their lives to studying football thought both were worthy a multi-million investment. WF hasn't had an NFL 1st round pick in 67 years.

Add in Jameis who was the #1 overall, and FSU had NFL #1 round pick as its starting QB every year from 2008 and 2014. That's pretty good.

Last edited:
Everything is relative, but Ponder and Manuel were NFL first round picks.

We aren't talking about some BS rating of a HS QB just because of an FSU offer, but highly paid NFL front-office professionals who have dedicated their lives to studying football thought both were worthy a multi-million investment. WF hasn't an NFL 1st round pick in 67 years.

Add in Jameis who was the #1 overall, and FSU had NFL #1 round pick as its starting QB every year from 2008 and 2014. That's pretty good.

You mean at QB, right? Otherwise, Aaron Curry says hello.

Ponder and Manuel did fool NFL scouts.

Yes, we are talking QBs.

If you want to use the term fooled, then Curry fooled NFL scouts as well.

Curry fooled all of us.

I'll give you Ponder and Manuel not being complete bums, but look at the QB's in those drafts and I think we know why they went so high.

2013 EJ Manuel:

The fact that the Bills drafted him does not help your "NFL Front Office Proffesionals deemed him worthy of a multi-million dollar investment" argument because it's the Bills front office and they've probably wasted more money on shit draft picks than every team other than the Browns (maybe even more than them).

11 QB's drafted and only 3 QB's taken in the first three rounds (one in each round)

Second Round- Geno Smith: I don't really need to say anything here
Third Round- Mike Glennon: see above

The rest-
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zach Dysert
B.J. Daniels
Sean Renfree

Not really saying much to be the top of that class...

2011 Christian Ponder:

Didn't go to a trainwreck organization but the Vikings definitely were not great at this time.

4th QB taken in the first 12 picks so he was probably drafted because QB's were trendy this year. Too bad most of the decent ones were drafted well after him.

Cam Newton (1st) Jake Locker (8th) and Blaine Gabbert (10th)

Locker and Gabbert both had as rough of a time in the NFL as Ponder.

Then we get to the QB's taken after him that performed far better:
-Andy Dalton (2nd round)
-Colin Kaepernick (2nd round)
-Tyrod Taylor (6th round)

even those guys are mediocre.

Not trying to be argumentative or shitstigating but a players draft position has been proven time and time again to be a crappy measure of success. Ask Aaron Curry.

Then we get to the QB's taken after him that performed far better:
-Andy Dalton (2nd round)
-Colin Kaepernick (2nd round)
-Tyrod Taylor (6th round)

Hard to believe those three guys were in the same draft class. Dalton feels like he's been around forever. Taylor doesn't feel like he's been around that long. Kaepernick has had a crazy career in a short period of time.

Curry fooled all of us.

Though I feel like he wasn't the transcendent type player that you'd expect from a #4 overall pick.

Plenty of other guys -- Moore, Phonz, Riles -- left a bigger impression on those teams than Curry did. Part of that due to position, but not all of it

Though I feel like he wasn't the transcendent type player that you'd expect from a #4 overall pick.

Plenty of other guys -- Moore, Phonz, Riles -- left a bigger impression on those teams than Curry did. Part of that due to position, but not all of it

He was considered a can't miss prospect at the time. Not many LBs are taken top 5. Dante Fowler, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Aaron Curry. That's it in the last 10 years.

Taggart has a losing record because when he took over WKU and USF both teams were in disarray. Each team went 2-10 in his first year and then massively improved after that; 4-20 will make any coach's overall record look bad when he has less than 10 years overall as a head coach. That's like holding Clawson's first year at WF against him when he had a mid-level FCS roster.

Didn't say that was just giving the facts of his actual record. We shall see what he does, just like Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.

He was considered a can't miss prospect at the time. Not many LBs are taken top 5. Dante Fowler, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Aaron Curry. That's it in the last 10 years.

He absolutely was. Just from watching him play though I was surprised he was regarded so highly because he didn't seem to do enough to stand out to merit that distinction.

The pro scouts thought he had everything, though, and they were certainly wrong

He absolutely was. Just from watching him play though I was surprised he was regarded so highly because he didn't seem to do enough to stand out to merit that distinction.

The pro scouts thought he had everything, though, and they were certainly wrong

Apparently the pro scouts really like big hands...

BC narrowly missing being ranked. Would be nice to see us get some votes when we take care of them.

Looking back, Curry was a superior athlete at LB who was given the freedom and flexibility to wreak havoc and had good chemistry with the rest of the defense, most of whom came in at the same time. But he had trouble mastering the mental side of the game in the NFL especially against sick athletes on the OL and TE.

BC narrowly missing being ranked. Would be nice to see us get some votes when we take care of them.

If we beat BC to go 3-0 I can see us getting a lot of votes. Then we somehow pull off the upset of the Domers we do jump squarely in the rankings. That being said, I see our game being about a pick'em next Thursday.

Back