• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Am I unaware of something Hines said or did to earn this hostility?

Am I unaware of something Hines said or did to earn this hostility?
He made it pretty clear that it was wake's coaches that were holding him back and that he would tear it up at Oregon now with a new beginning

If the College football playoff selection committee had to make a choice right now, I think they would choose: Alabama, Ohio State, LSU & Notre Dame. There would be UGa, Clemson, Oklahoma & West Virginia lurking

Right now the ACC and their 5th place ranking in the Power 5 is killing Clemson and will continue to kill Clemson along with their own struggles. Don't believe me, just look at how the ESPN staff ranks the conferences right now: "1. SEC | 2. Big Ten | 3. Big 12 | 4. Pac-12 | 5. ACC"

We shall see what develops down the road. Right now the SEC has 3 teams in the Top 8 in the regular polls & 4 in the Top 12 while we have only 1. Plus our supposed 2nd highest ranked team at the time [13th ranked VT got beaten by unknown & thrice beaten ODU] last week. Our initial #2, Miami got trounced in the opening weekend by then SEC #5 LSU 33-17. We have only 1 team and that is Clemson on the national level. While we had climbed to the top conference 2 years ago during the 2016 season, we have quickly slid to the bottom again. All the SEC coaching changes must be taking hold, huh Pilch!

If the College football playoff selection committee had to make a choice right now, I think they would choose: Alabama, Ohio State, LSU & Notre Dame. There would be UGa, Clemson, Oklahoma & West Virginia lurking

Right now the ACC and their 5th place ranking in the Power 5 is killing Clemson and will continue to kill Clemson along with their own struggles. Don't believe me, just look at how the ESPN staff ranks the conferences right now: "1. SEC | 2. Big Ten | 3. Big 12 | 4. Pac-12 | 5. ACC"

We shall see what develops down the road. Right now the SEC has 3 teams in the Top 8 in the regular polls & 4 in the Top 12 while we have only 1. Plus our supposed 2nd highest ranked team at the time [13th ranked VT got beaten by unknown & thrice beaten ODU] last week. Our initial #2, Miami got trounced in the opening weekend by then SEC #5 LSU 33-17. We have only 1 team and that is Clemson on the national level. While we had climbed to the top conference 2 years ago during the 2016 season, we have quickly slid to the bottom again. All the SEC coaching changes must be taking hold, huh Pilch!

I think you're nuts. I think they'd choose Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson/Oklahoma.

BTW, I don't think Georgia will go undefeated in the SEC with road games at LSU and Kentucky, Florida in Jacksonville, and Auburn at home. They may have to slay the Tide to make the playoff. The offense just isn't firing the way it was with Chubb and Michel in the backfield and the defense misses Roquan Smith (not surprisingly). I think Smart needs another year or so to get the recruiting classes fully coached up.

If both go undefeated, the committee will wind up comparing Clemson and Notre Dame common opponents to figure out which one of those shit teams they can leave out. Look out Wake Forest and Florida State. I'd love to see Va Tech beat ND this weekend. Actually, it would warm my heart.

And I get Biff's paranoia given the position Georgia is in.

Rooting for teams to not be undefeated usually works out eventually

I think you're nuts. I think they'd choose Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson/Oklahoma.

BTW, I don't think Georgia will go undefeated in the SEC with road games at LSU and Kentucky, Florida in Jacksonville, and Auburn at home. They may have to slay the Tide to make the playoff. The offense just isn't firing the way it was with Chubb and Michel in the backfield and the defense misses Roquan Smith (not surprisingly). I think Smart needs another year or so to get the recruiting classes fully coached up.

If both go undefeated, the committee will wind up comparing Clemson and Notre Dame common opponents to figure out which one of those shit teams they can leave out. Look out Wake Forest and Florida State. I'd love to see Va Tech beat ND this weekend. Actually, it would warm my heart.

We shall see as they say. Right now Clemson's A&M win will look worse & worse if they continue to lose a few and Clemson keeps having close wins. They certainly can't afford to lose any that is for sure. Notre Dame has now beaten Top 10 Michigan & Top 10 Stanford. They should be favored for the rest of their schedule. But they already have a tougher schedule than does Clemson and with the ACC being the lowest of the Power 5 it just doesn't bode well for Clemson.

Lots of football left certainly, but I was going on just what I thought as of today. I could go with UGa over LSU. But LSU has beaten then #8 Miami very handily and then beat then #7 Auburn. Maybe their deciding game will be the Oct 13 game, probably at night in the Bayou [always a tough place]. Ohio State just cleared one major hurdle and looks to have one more before the B10 title game and that is 11/24 at home against Michigan where Urban has not lost to Harbaugh yet.

Some other absolute wild cards can develop if weird things happen in the weeks to come. You have KY sitting there at 5-0 as a major surprise. They have already gotten thru one in the West and have only Tex A&M and of course UGa remaining plus FL. Auburn is not playing very well and sits at 4-1 but if they run undefeated from here they will be looked at. Go out west and you have #21 & 4-0 Colorado but they have it tough with Washington & Wazu plus USC. Then you also still have one loss Washington sitting at #10 who could meander their way up the ladder with no more losses if the right things happen. Big 12 has both Oklahoma at #7 & WVa at #9 right now both undefeated and definitely not out of things.

Still a long way to go. Lots of ranked opponents still standing in each team's way (except ND I guess)

1 Alabama - @ 5 LSU, vs 8 Auburn, SECCG
2 Georgia - @ 5 LSU, vs 22 Florida, @ 13 Kentucky, vs 8 Auburn, SECCG
3 Ohio State - @ 20 MSU, vs 15 Mich, B1GCG
4 Clemson - vs 23 NCSU, ACCCG
5 LSU - @ 22 Florida, vs 2 Georgia, vs 1 Alabama, SECCG
6 ND - @ 24 VT
7 OU - vs 19 Texas, vs 25 OkSt, @ 9 WVU, Big12CG

Is the ACC weaker than the Pac-12? Not so sure that's a given

So odd how Reff loves to dump on the ACC, not sure how writing checks to S. Carolina caused him to be beholden to that conference. The fact that SEC has some dominant teams doesn't make Arkansas, Vandy, Tennessee or South Carolina any better. They remain irrelevant.

Also, how in the world is the Big 10 better than the ACC?

tOSU was fortunate to beat TCU. Beyond that it's conference full of teams with horrible OOC losses:

- NW lost to Duke and Akron
- Nebraska has lost to everyone including Troy and Colorado
- Wisconsin lost to BYU (who Washington just demolished)
- Michigan lost to Notre Dame (when the Irish were playing an inferior QB)
- Purdue has lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri
- Maryland lost to Temple
- Rutgers lost to Kansas (yes, Kansas) and Buffalo
- Michigan State lost to Arizona State (beat Utah State in the final minute)
- Penn State needed OT to beat the Apps

The Big 10 absolutely blows. Similar analysis could apply to the Pac 12.

As always, Bama is great. UGA looks strong, LSU has found a way to beat tough opponents and Kentucky is a great story. Congrats to those schools. Their success doesn't make South Carolina any less mediocre. They still are.

tOSU deserves credit for playing at TCU. Ultimately it won't help them much, but that's reasonably ballsy scheduling. Very soldi win at PSU as well. But yeah, that conference looks awful again this year.

BTW, Purdue clobbered BC and Maryland beat Texas.

Kentucky has already played Florida, but they do have to go to Missouri.

KY plays at Texas A&M this Saturday. They also host UGA in the beginning of November, which suddenly looks like a big game. With two former Deacs (Dean Hood and Brad White) on the KY staff, love that they are surprising.

Current S&P rankings say the following:

1. SEC #1 by a lot (7 in top 20, mean ranking #29)
2. B1G and BXII dead heat for #2 (B1G 4 in top 20, mean ranking #45; XII 3 in top 20, mean ranking #43)
3. ACC/P12 essential dead heat for #4

WF at #72 nationally, #11 in ACC ahead of (in order) Pitt, UNC, UL; WF currently right behind 0-4 Nebraska and ahead of the following six other P5 teams:

UCLA
Kansas
Kansas State
Illinois
Oregon St
Rutgers

So odd how Reff loves to dump on the ACC, not sure how writing checks to S. Carolina caused him to be beholden to that conference. The fact that SEC has some dominant teams doesn't make Arkansas, Vandy, Tennessee or South Carolina any better. They remain irrelevant.

Also, how in the world is the Big 10 better than the ACC?

tOSU was fortunate to beat TCU. Beyond that it's conference full of teams with horrible OOC losses:

- NW lost to Duke and Akron
- Nebraska has lost to everyone including Troy and Colorado
- Wisconsin lost to BYU (who Washington just demolished)
- Michigan lost to Notre Dame (when the Irish were playing an inferior QB)
- Purdue has lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri
- Maryland lost to Temple
- Rutgers lost to Kansas (yes, Kansas) and Buffalo
- Michigan State lost to Arizona State (beat Utah State in the final minute)
- Penn State needed OT to beat the Apps

The Big 10 absolutely blows. Similar analysis could apply to the Pac 12.

As always, Bama is great. UGA looks strong, LSU has found a way to beat tough opponents and Kentucky is a great story. Congrats to those schools. Their success doesn't make South Carolina any less mediocre. They still are.

Our #13 ranked team and our 2nd best team at the time, VT, lost to now #138 ODU by 14 points--enough said.

How odd that Pilch likes to dump on the SEC when they have been so dominant over the last 10+ years. And besides Pilch, South Carolina did win 9 games plus a bowl game last season and under The Old Ball Coach won 11 games 3 seasons in a row. Sure the SEC has some bad teams, every league does. But you never want to look at the FACTS that the SEC is rated the top league this year and usually has been top to bottom year in & year out. I guess you don't see that the ACC has UNC-Cheaters, Pitt, Louisville or GT. SO yes, I did pay 4 year tuition to South Carolina but I also grew up in Tennessee and went to probably 30 or 40 games in Neyland. My Dad is a UT undergrad & Law School grad. I went to a game every year with son & Dad when Peyton played & also the year they beat Spurrier & Florida with Tee Martin in 1998 and went on to the Natty.

FYI, Sagarin has the ACC Coastal as #8 & ACC Atlantic as #6 divisions. He has the SEC West as #1 & the SEC East as #4. Arkansas comes in at #93, UT is at #74, Vandy at #72 & Ole Miss at #59. But they have #'s 1,5,10,11,17,21,22 & 25. That is 8 teams in the Sagarin Top 25. That is football dominance. Meanwhile the ACC has #'s 6, 14 & 19. Sorry that the SEC has won 9 of the last 12 football national titles with 4 different teams and the ACC has won 2 with 2 different teams. Just the facts here Pilch.

Reff,

WF basketball sucked over the last 9 years even though the ACC was strong and Duke and UNC won NCs. Tennessee football has sucked for awhile and S. Carolina is mediocre again even though Bama and UGA are great. The whole conference pride deal is strange if your team is not part of that success. Sorry, but Tennessee and S. Carolina have nothing to do with Bama's or UGA's success, just like WF has nothing to do with UNC's or Duke's hoop success.

Last edited:
Back