• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

"Really good QB in Anthony Brown"?

- Brown is coming a knee surgery which ended his season last year, he missed spring practice; so not even clear how healthy he is.
- When healthy, Brown completed only 50% of his passes and had a poor TD/INT ratio of 9/8.

Brown is a long way from "really good" or even "really mediocre".

BC will have a strong running game with Dillon, but Anthony Brown or whomever plays QB for BC is a big question mark. BC also lost key pieces off an "alright" defense. BC is not close to Clemson's class.

The big unknown is FSU. They were loaded last year, but Jimbo bailed on that team and they bailed on him. The Noles still have ridiculous talent. If Francois can return from his knee injury, the OL does not completely suck (remember how the WF DL dominated FSU?) and Taggart can get a buy-in from the roster, FSU can beat anyone (they get Clemson at home).

Brown does have a really good arm, and was having a good season for a frosh before getting hurt. He has his entire OLine back to protect him plus he has several WR's returning. I expect a good season from Brown and a really good season from BC as the dark horse of the Atlantic division. FSU always has freakish talent but their OLine has let them down the past 2 seasons. Plus this year they have to totally regar to an entirely different offensive scheme with Taggert. Tough schedule and a defense that is not quite as good as what they are used to. Will Francois win his job back or will it be Blackman at QB? Akers is one helluva RB. We shall see how FSU bounces back from their re-scheduled 7-6 season last year. Jumbo got out while the getting was good.

Real hot seat for Hat Man Fedora. Lots of bluff at Louisville with Petrino right now. People give them too much credit because they are not near what they were when he took over with everything Strong left him a few years back. Heisman Jackson covered up a lot of their ills the last few seasons. Just 4 starts back on D which was already one we torched last season. Don't see why we can't go up there & beat them again. I think the real team to give Clemson a run in the Atlantic division this year is BC......tons of returning starters including POY candidate Dillon at RB, a really good QB in Anthony Brown, the entire OL coming back & they HUGE. Their D only returns 6 starters. Our game with them on Thursday ESPN is maybe our key game of the season.

Anthony Brown a "really good QB?" His stats are below. I won't say he's terrible, because he showed some potential, but WOOF. He was also 11-29 for only 119 yds and 3 picks against WF last year.

GP CMP ATT INT YDS TD Long % AVG/P AVG/G
10 134 258 9 1367 11 76 .52 5.3 136.7

Only worry I have of Brown is that The Claw recruited him so he saw something. I think the Claw knows his QBs.

In regards to Petrino being a VERY overrated coach, he went 23-12 with Lamar Jackson starting at quarterback. Let that sink in. He's also a shit human being but that's beside the point. If the Cards have another dud season (7 wins an under) I could see his seat getting very hot.

Fedora was always a candle in the wind type of coach, he also seems like a pretty uneducated person to me as well. I think UNC can do better than him but I'm not sure if the fanbase does.

I like Addazio alot (for BC at least) and agree that they have as much chance to compete for the division as anyone. Brown doesn't need to be stellar for the Eagles to win alot of games, he just needs to manage the game and not turn the ball over.

Narduzzi is very similar to Addazio, and I see Pitt improving this year and maybe being a contender again next year. Big year for the Nard dog coming up though.

If Georgia Tech doesn't have a damn decent year I could see Johnson getting canned. As everyone knows Tech will be sabotaging their program for 2-4 years if they fire him and I think that is why his leash has been so long. The fans are tired of wishbone football, and the ACC is playing much better against it recently.

I think Babers is on borrowed time at Cuse, nothing against the guy, he just doesn't seem to be the man for the job. He REALLY needs a productive year from the Orange. I believe they go as far as Dungey takes them. He is a stud and reminds me of Wolford, if he can stay healthy I think they comfortably make a bowl game.

I think Doeren is sitting pretty at State, they could regress this year and the fanbase should still be pleased. I like Doeren alot, as he reminds me of Clawson in many ways. Much like Syracuse his Pack team goes as far as their QB takes them, Finlay needs to improve in late game situations, other than that his game is pretty polished.

I love Bronco Mendenhall as a coach, and I think given time he can have UVA back to the level they were under Welsh. Whether their pansy fanbase can handle his attitude and bluntness until then remains to be seen. I still think the Cavs are a couple of years away from a breakout season.

I think everyone in Blacksburg can agree that Fuente is the long term answer for them. Home run hire in my opinion, and if they can get that offense rolling and continue to bring in top level talent on defense the results could be scary.

Not really sure about the Taggart hire, it just seems like he will have one of those tenures where the monster school and fanbase chew the coach up and spit him out 3 years later. Everyone points to his recruiting acumen in the state of Florida, but FSU recruits itself. I could be wrong and he could be the next Dabo Swinney, or he could be the next Charlie Strong.

Dabo Swinney is almost already a HOF coach and it's ridiculous. He could honestly retire today and more than likely find himself on "greatest coaches of all time" lists down the road. Unfortunately we won't be so lucky.

Cutcliffe is as good as Duke will ever get, and a HOF coach as well. It's a shame (for Duke fans) that he's not 10 years younger. I could see Daniel Jones having a big year, they need him to if they want to make a run on Miami and Virginia Tech.

It looks like Richt fits in perfectly in Coral Gables, and if he can keep the stadium rocking like it did last year I think we could finally be seeing Miami return to prominence. This year is huge for them from a program momentum standpoint. Win the division again and the recruits and fanbase will continue showing up. Go back to a mid tier bowl and it's a slippery slope back to 30k asses in a 70k seat stadium.

Last edited:
zq,

Good stuff. Add the following:

Not sure about the Narduzzi v. Addazio comparison other than their names end in vowels.

Narduzzi was always a defensive assistant coach and was essentially Mark Dantonio's right hand man for 10 years at both Cincy and Michigan State. The Pitt job was Narduzzi's first college job. Don't think Narduzzi is on solid ground at Pitt, but he does have three massive wins at Pitt (beating Penn State, only team to beat Clemson during their NC season and then beating an undefeated and #2 Miami team in the home finale). If Pitt has another losing season (and their schedule is tough), he could be gone after this season.

Addazio was always an offensive assistant and worked his way up under Urban Meyer at Florida from TE's coach to OL coach to OC. Addazio also head coached at Temple before getting the BC job. Think that Addazio is pretty well-liked at BC, and feel like his job is pretty safe.

Also, agree that Bronco Mendenhall is a solid coach, but feel like he is not a great match at UVA. All of his experience as a player or a coach is in the Rockies or on the West Coast except for one year at La Tech. Doesn't seem like he recruits well in the areas that feed an ACC school. Connections are so important for a college coach, and he just does not have them in VA, NC, GA, PA, FL. Really hard to survive in this conference without that.

Taggart is a massive unknown, but it's a great sign that he was hired by two elite programs: Oregon and FSU. At WKU and USF, he took programs that had fallen into the abyss and built them up quickly. Also, he has deep connections in Florida (he is from Bradenton); so, while FSU does recruit itself, he will keep the flow of talent going. If the FSU fans, show a little patience, Taggart could be a home run.

BTW, think that Duke is going to be very good this year. Daniel Jones is very talented and Cutcliffe can coach QBs. Also, their defense is as talented as it has been.

Last edited:
Idk why I was thinking Addazio was Spaziani, haha. And you’re right about Mendenhall, he will land on his feet somewhere if UVA doesn’t work out. And yes Duke should have the upper tier of the Coastal sweating this season.

UNC has a history of hiring dummies as their football coach- see Fedora, Torbush, Butch Davis, Bunting, etc.

UNC has a history of hiring dummies as their football coach- see Fedora, Torbush, Butch Davis, Bunting, etc.

Also had Bill Dooley, Dick Crum and Mack Brown. Don't get me wrong. I HATE THE BASTARDS!!! But, we need to tread lightly when LOL at other program's coaches. So says Tom Harper, Chuck Mills, Al Groh, and Jim Caldwell.

Also had Bill Dooley, Dick Crum and Mack Brown. Don't get me wrong. I HATE THE BASTARDS!!! But, we need to tread lightly when LOL at other program's coaches. So says Tom Harper, Chuck Mills, Al Groh, and Jim Caldwell.

I'll have you know, James Caldwell won a Super Bowl with the Colts (QB coach), holds the NFL record for most wins by a rookie coach (14) and to this day is the only rookie coach to ever reach a Super Bowl. And let us not forget his Super Bowl with the Ravens (OC). You can't rep Mack Brown's old tired ass on here as some amazing coach because he (Vince Young) won a title at Texas, and in the same breath call Jim Caldwell a bad coach.

......Jim Caldwell is a bad coach though.....

I mean, if you're gonna mention that Mack Brown had Vince Young, you have to mention that Caldwell in Indy had one of the 3 greatest QBs ever and a stacked roster. Kind of important.

I don't think that Mills, Groh, or Caldwell were dummies. They may have been bad football coaches but at least they weren't a bunch of low class morons.

I'll see your HATE THE BASTARDS-ness and raise you to infinity

Al Groh was to CFB what Gene Mauch was to MLB - reputations far exceeded performance of their teams.

I'll have you know, James Caldwell won a Super Bowl with the Colts (QB coach), holds the NFL record for most wins by a rookie coach (14) and to this day is the only rookie coach to ever reach a Super Bowl. And let us not forget his Super Bowl with the Ravens (OC). You can't rep Mack Brown's old tired ass on here as some amazing coach because he (Vince Young) won a title at Texas, and in the same breath call Jim Caldwell a bad coach.

......Jim Caldwell is a bad coach though.....

Jim Caldwell was a bad college football coach. Record doesn't lie, sorry. 26-63 overall for 29.2% & 12-52 ACC record for 18.75%. This was after 8 seasons. Should have been fired after 6 seasons when he had gone 3-8 & 2-6, but only in a [Redacted]-like moment, Well-Man gave him 2 more years. Nice man, real good guy and obviously has great football knowledge, but was not a good college football coach!

Jim Caldwell was a bad college football coach. Record doesn't lie, sorry. 26-63 overall for 29.2% & 12-52 ACC record for 18.75%. This was after 8 seasons. Should have been fired after 6 seasons when he had gone 3-8 & 2-6, but only in a [Redacted]-like moment, Well-Man gave him 2 more years. Nice man, real good guy and obviously has great football knowledge, but was not a good college football coach!

Caldwell and college FB were not a good match. Apparently he was much better suited to the pro game.

Caldwell and college FB were not a good match. Apparently he was much better suited to the pro game.

Last I checked, he had his ass fired from Detroit. So, no, he wasn't much better suited for the pro game. His brief success involved "winning" with Peyton Manning. Hell, with that team, 80% of high school coaches could have won.

2018 offical College Football thread

Last I checked, he had his ass fired from Detroit. So, no, he wasn't much better suited for the pro game. His brief success involved "winning" with Peyton Manning. Hell, with that team, 80% of high school coaches could have won.

He’s the only Lions coach in my lifetime to have a winning record over multiple seasons.

He’s clearly a much better pro than college coach.

Back