• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Minnesota is -23 against NMSU (who played like absolute trash last week admittedly) but S&P has Minnesota at -9. I've never seen such a wide discrepancy between the two.

Aside from our game tonight, what other college games are worth my time this weekend?

Def Auburn-Washington and Michigan-Notre Dame, particularly for scouting ND porpoises. Miami-LSU and VT-FSU should be moderately interesting

All of the marquee games are mentioned above, there are few other games that will give an early indication about potential surprise teams:

- Ole Miss/Texas Tech = This is Kliff Kingsbury's last shot to prove that he can rebuild the Texas Tech program. KK needs to win at least 7 games to keep his job. Losing to Ole Miss would make that next to impossible.

- WV v. Tennessee = WV supposedly has the best offensive team in Dana's Holgerson's run in Morgantown. Will Grier is getting some Heisman hype; TN cleaned house; we shall see if the former Bama DC can bring them a spark.

- Texas v. MD = Maryland has had a catastrophic off-season; a lot is expected out of Texas in year 2 for Tom Herman. MD did hang 50+ on Texas last year, and they do have their QBs back.

- Keep this in mind: earlier this week, William Hill (the leading sports book in LV) accepted a $130K parlay with tOSU laying 37.5 to Oregon State and Wisconsin laying 35.5 to W. Kentucky. This was way above the typical sports book limit, but they accepted the wager, which was a very square play (huge favorites a considered sucker's bets).

All of the marquee games are mentioned above, there are few other games that will give an early indication about potential surprise teams:

- Ole Miss/Texas Tech = This is Kliff Kingsbury's last shot to prove that he can rebuild the Texas Tech program. KK needs to win at least 7 games to keep his job. Losing to Ole Miss would make that next to impossible.

- WV v. Tennessee = WV supposedly has the best offensive team in Dana's Holgerson's run in Morgantown. Will Grier is getting some Heisman hype; TN cleaned house; we shall see if the former Bama DC can bring them a spark.

- Texas v. MD = Maryland has had a catastrophic off-season; a lot is expected out of Texas in year 2 for Tom Herman. MD did hang 50+ on Texas last year, and they do have their QBs back.

- Keep this in mind: earlier this week, William Hill (the leading sports book in LV) accepted a $130K parlay with tOSU laying 37.5 to Oregon State and Wisconsin laying 35.5 to W. Kentucky. This was way above the typical sports book limit, but they accepted the wager, which was a very square play (huge favorites a considered sucker's bets).

The tOSU bet seems really chancy.

Going to Vegas with Rattler and Dirk tomorrow - what are this weeks 5 Star locks?

Minnesota is -23 against NMSU (who played like absolute trash last week admittedly) but S&P has Minnesota at -9. I've never seen such a wide discrepancy between the two.
Minnesota won 48-10.

Yeah NMSU is substantially worse than their preseason rank would suggest. Wonder what’s going on there. I don’t really care but they looked like dogshit the first two weeks.

Yeah NMSU is substantially worse than their preseason rank would suggest. Wonder what’s going on there. I don’t really care but they looked like dogshit the first two weeks.

New Mexico State got kicked out of the Sun Belt Conference (you know things are bad when the Sun Belt conference doesn't want you). So, NMSU is now an independent. Without a conference affiliation, NMSU could not find enough FBS teams to schedule them, so NMSU plays Liberty (who moved up to FBS this year) twice. Cannot remember that ever happening before.

Love taking in a full slate of Saturday games when we’ve already notched a Thursday W.

New Mexico State got kicked out of the Sun Belt Conference (you know things are bad when the Sun Belt conference doesn't want you). So, NMSU is now an independent. Without a conference affiliation, NMSU could not find enough FBS teams to schedule them, so NMSU plays Liberty (who moved up to FBS this year) twice. Cannot remember that ever happening before.

Wow, that's crazy.

Looking through this week's games... First week of college is always tough for me. I much prefer the first few weeks of NFL, where I feel like expectations are more well known (and I can fade public perception). In college, teams can be drastically different from year to year and I don't think anyone knows anything until a few weeks of games are played (myself included).

Having said that, I like quite a few games this week... In order of kickoff, not preference:

I'll take Ohio State and lay those points... Should be a curb-stomping.
I like Oklahoma -21 over FAU
Torn on Ole Miss / Texas Tech & Texas / Maryland. Feels like Texas should beat up on Maryland for a ton of reasons (even beyond the Terps being in complete disarray)... So maybe I take Maryland? No idea what I'll do here.
I like Coastal Carolina +29.5 over South Carolina... Seems like too many for a Muschamp coached team.
Leaning App State +24 over Penn State, but have big concerns about new App State QB.
Think WVU smokes the Vols, so I will lay the 9.5.
I'll take Washington and the points over Auburn... Seems pretty even, so I like points.
I like UNC +7.5 over Cal
Michigan over ND (though I hate the hype this game is getting... Feels like both these teams are probably just meh)
Bama -24.5 over Louisville... I think and hope this gets ugly
BYU +11.5 over Arizona
LSU +3.5 over Miami... No real reason... Just think Miami maybe getting a little too much hype and LSU a little too much hate. 3.5 seems like good value in "neutral" site game
VT +7.5 over FSU... I like the points. Who knows what FSU will look like in game 1 under Taggart? Nice opportunity for VT, I think.

Out of all of those, I think my "top picks" are: BYU, VT, UNC, Coastal Carolina, & WVU

Love how the games are spread out this week... Will be able to watch a lot of football between now and Monday night!

Abilene Christian and Incarnate Ward played each other twice in 2013 when both where transitioning to FCS....reddit tells me that's the most recent occasion.

Somewhat similarly, Cal recently played Colorado in a non-conference game when they were both in the Pac-12

is this the offical thread because of the Golden Bears' week one opponent?

Back