• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

This year's schedule is fine, but we should have a game of ND's caliber every year, IMO. Recruits want to go to big-time venues and play in front of packed stadiums in addition to getting swag and getting a trip to a 20% full stadium in Detroit.

And again, I completely reject the idea that scheduling up non-conference and making bowls are mutually exclusive. We can do both

We play FSU and Clemson every year. Having a OOC game of ND's caliber every year is crazy. This is one of our most talented teams and we are predicted to go 6-6 or 7-5 because of our really tough schedule.

Last edited:
I don't think App would beat Tulane on the road. In the end you will see that is true.

Miami #8 lol. And once again the Coastal's premier team is a paper tiger. I tell you this division was set up by UNC and Duke to play out just this way -- easy road to lead to division titles and winning records. They didn't want anything to do with FSU and Clemson. So obvious.

I do think Tulane is underrated and that our win there will look more impressive later in the year.

Our OOC scheduling has improved a lot since Grobe. There was a long stretch from the 70s through 90s where it was pretty unimpressive (William & Mary, UAB, App, Army or Navy every year, etc.). We should be playing at least one fairly high-level P5 team each year outside the ACC. The formula we're using these days is fine.

Miami #8 lol. And once again the Coastal's premier team is a paper tiger. I tell you this division was set up by UNC and Duke to play out just this way -- easy road to lead to division titles and winning records. They didn't want anything to do with FSU and Clemson. So obvious.

Miami won't be #8 tomorrow.
They've now lost 4 in a row and going downhill.

When the divisions were set up, VT was a much stronger program than Clemson.

I don't think App would beat Tulane on the road. In the end you will see that is true.
Not certain of the prediction either way but definitely suspect that Tulane can and will be a very good team. Yet, their next game is against a team, Nichols, which we hear beat a P5 team in Kansas this past weekend.

I have to disagree, I don't think Tulane is very good at all. If they give up 550yds to us, how many do you think Clemson would put up on that defense?

I do think Tulane is underrated and that our win there will look more impressive later in the year.

No one will care that we beat Tulane on the road on August 30, when they're sorting out our Sun Bowl or Independence Bowl bid.

I don’t get this take (not just you but many media repeating this). His reaction gave the media and fans a huge talking point and way more attention than the typical nothing answer would have. Basically, he gave ESPN what they really wanted, something to talk about the next few days on First Take and all those shows

Good point.

No one will care that we beat Tulane on the road on August 30, when they're sorting out our Sun Bowl or Independence Bowl bid.

It will matter that it is one of at least 6 wins. And if it is one of 8 or 9, the discussion is different.

This year we are playing ND, Clemson and FSU. How freaking hard do you want the schedule to be?

And recruits want to go to bowl games, so if you want good recruits you need to go to bowl games.

Agree. We are an old program that has gone to considerably fewer bowls than most programs our age. We need to be regular bowl attendees and bowl winners before we start talking about how bowls are not a priority. The last two bowl victories have done wonders for creating enthusiasm around our program as well as for recruiting.

The ACC's second highest ranked team just got clobbered by the third best team in the SEC West on a somewhat neutral field. If Clemson loses an ACC game this year they don't deserve to be in the playoff.

It will matter that it is one of at least 6 wins. And if it is one of 8 or 9, the discussion is different.

Of course it will matter if we have six wins. That's why I said they'll be sorting out our Sun Bowl or Independence Bowl bid. We're not winning 8 or 9 games though so, like I said, it won't matter. And even if we did win that many games, nobody would be pointing to an early season road win against Tulane as a reason we should be in the Gator Bowl or Peach Bowl.

Agree. We are an old program that has gone to considerably fewer bowls than most programs our age. We need to be regular bowl attendees and bowl winners before we start talking about how bowls are not a priority. The last two bowl victories have done wonders for creating enthusiasm around our program as well as for recruiting.

A bowl every year should be the minimum goal. Not go to two then don't go for a few years
With enough bowls for half the FBS teams to go to one, Wake should be going.

I agree with this. The way Tulane played on thursday would have had Penn State on their heels. That is a solid, tough, well coached football team and I strongly believe they will compete for the AAC title.

Also I meant to mention earlier that almost every Penn State fan I spoke to during the game had nothing good to say about James Franklin and by the end of the game the grumbling had become full on "our coaching sucks!". There were multiple fans who came up to us and said that App was clearly the better coached team. I know they were disappointed that they almost lost but sheesh, the guy just took you to a Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and a Big Ten Championship after your program was nearly shut down.

I suspect PennState didn't take App State seriously. Either that or "the best division in college football this year" is not all that. ND did a number on Michigan that was not expected. PSU OT to beat App state. Not a good start for the division.

PAC 12 is garbage. If Chip Kelly doesn't win that league in three years, he's not the coach we thought he was.

B1G might have a couple of good teams.

If ND runs the table against their schedule they obviously make the playoff. Same with Clemson. One misstep by either and they're toast, imo. ACC is one team with a big group in the middle.

Back