Page 12 of 129 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    So with United not signing a center back and the back drop of Jose’s summer of discontent, one can’t help but wonder about the post game interview Jose will offer up if United lose to Leicester tomorrow. There’s nothing quite like Jose when he’s angry and frustrated and seething with contempt.

FWIW, I’m not convinced that a new center back would have materially changed United’s outlook for this season. Between Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof and Rojo, Jose has plenty to work with in setting his back line. The key is keeping Bailly healthy.
    I think a new CB would have been huge for United. Their underlying defensive stats were actually quite poor last season and De Gea being Spiderman and playing out of his fucking mind led to their defensive record - that and Mourinho's tactics. That attack is sort of fundamentally broken and will be as long as Mourinho does not trust his defense.

Dickie Hemric
    Not PL related - but definitely football related.

I picked up my season ticket card today for Wiener Sportklub. Currently in the 3rd division of Austrian football it's the super left wing club here (the shirt sponsor a few years ago was "Refugees Welcome"). The oldest stadium in all of Europe it sits up against a graveyard and the "ultras" end is the called literally the Friedhofstribüne "Graveyard Stand". Football clubs in Europe are politics, so no chance I wasn't going to pick a home club for myself that didn't represent the things I believe in and work for in the rest of my life.

Pretty excited to get to spend my Friday nights this year singing and drinking beers. "We are all the same in the stand, just like we are in the cemetary".

Small English documentary on the hilarious "Derby of Love" between Sportklub and First Vienna here:

That’s pretty cool. You’ll have to post some stadium pics once you make a few games.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    @svertelney: Eintracht Frankfurt's new manager is named Adolf Hütter

I'm afraid to say anything else, so I'll just leave it at that

Go to the Elf's house. We're just a bit West of there.
    1. Manchester City
    2. Tottenham
    3. Pool
    4. Arsenal
    5. Chelsea
    6. Everton
    7. Manchester United
    8. Wolves
    9. West Ham
    10. Leicester
    11. Crystal Palace
    12. Fulham
    13. Newcastle
    14. Burnley
    15. Brighton
    16. Southampton
    17. Bournemouth
    18. Cardiff
    19. Watford
    20. Huddersfield

Rusty Larue
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Manchester United
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Tottenham
    West Ham
    Everton
    Wolves
    Leicester
    Newcastle
    Palace
    Fulham
    Burnley
    Soton
    Brighton
    Bournemouth
    Watford
    Huddersfield
    Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by vadimivich View Post
    I think a new CB would have been huge for United. Their underlying defensive stats were actually quite poor last season and De Gea being Spiderman and playing out of his fucking mind led to their defensive record - that and Mourinho's tactics. That attack is sort of fundamentally broken and will be as long as Mourinho does not trust his defense.
    A healthy Bailly will make a big difference imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    I don't have much bad to say about Alexis Sanchez, but I have to wonder how he feels about the situation at ManU right now versus what his situation might look like at Arsenal.
    "Nice, I get to play in the Champions League unlike if I was at Arsenal." But in Spanish.

Answered.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

It sucks that de Gea won't be a great GK again this year.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by deacvision7 View Post
    It sucks that de Gea won't be a great GK again this year.
    He obviously will be.

But he wasn't a great GK last year. He was utterly superhuman.

NEW MODERAT0R
    "Nice, I get to play in the Champions League unlike if I was at Arsenal." But in Spanish.

Answered.
    While his coach parks the bus with a shitty defense and expects him to perform a miracle.

Think Watford, Cardiff and Hudds are wise releg choices.

Hudds I give a shot to b/c Wagner is a boss. Newcastle most likely to implode

Top 6..
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Tottenham
    Chelsea
    ManU
    Arsenal
    (7-17th are pretty much interchangable)
    18th Brighton
    19th Newcastle
    20th Cardiff

Man U on paper should be top 4 but they are a dumpster fire waiting to catch on fire. The Chosen One could be gone by XMAS if they start slow.

Arsenal is solid 6th (not sold that their new manager can get them in the top 4).

There is an obvious trust break down between Mourinho and the suits and Mourinho is waging war in the media, which would sometimes be a smart strategy... BUT YOU NEED THE SUPPORTERS ON YOUR SIDE FIRST.

Mourinho doesn't have the supporters and I'm guessing given his scathing comments about players over the summer, he doesn't have many of them on his side either.

Rip the bandaid off now please because this just looks stupid at this point.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

And I honestly have no clue where United will be in the table. This is such a fucking bizarre way to START a season.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

And I honestly have no clue where United will be in the table. This is such a fucking bizarre way to START a season.
    Agreed. United still have a great manager and great players but who the hell knows where this thing is headed.

Curious why so many predict Newcastle to be near the bottom. If Rafa leaves after this season, which could very well happen given the lack of support he's received from Ashley, then all bets are off. But as long as he's at Newcastle his players will play their socks off for him and the fans will continue to fanatically support the club. He got them to a tenth place finish last year and most of that effort was in the second half when he finally got in some decent reinforcements, which are back this year. I'm a homer though, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleDeacon View Post
    Curious why so many predict Newcastle to be near the bottom. If Rafa leaves after this season, which could very well happen given the lack of support he's received from Ashley, then all bets are off. But as long as he's at Newcastle his players will play their socks off for him and the fans will continue to fanatically support the club. He got them to a tenth place finish last year and most of that effort was in the second half when he finally got in some decent reinforcements, which are back this year. I'm a homer though, so who knows.
    He did get a 10th place finish but they struggled for most of the season.
    He's pulling a mini-Mourhino... complaining about the lack of finances which is not going to get them off on the right foot.

In a league where there is not much difference between 7-20, even the slightest of issues can put a team in the relegation zone.

At the start of last season, who would have had Swansea, West Brom and Stoke going down?

Man City
    Liverpool
    Tottenham
    Manchester United
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Wolves
    Leicester
    West Ham
    Fulham
    Burnley
    Crystal Palace
    Brighton
    Watford
    Bournemouth
    Soton
    Newcastle
    Huddersfield
    Cardiff

I'm feeling much more optimistic about my Toffees this year. Not enough to crack the Sky Six, but I do have them in 7th, unlike last year when I picked them to finish 10th.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 08-10-2018 at 03:00 PM.