• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I think you're overthinking preseason games if you're worried about VVD. I also think Moreno deserves some benefit of the doubt. He played well last year until he was injured and while Robertson was better when he came in, Moreno as a back up is a quality option.

I agree with you that the Sturridge optimism is a little misplaced. I love him as a player but even when he's healthy, he doesn't play at the tempo necessary to consistently succeed in Klopp's system. It's a little like Berbatov at the end of his United days. His talent was obvious but his movement and tempo didn't fit within a dynamic United side.

I have to disagree with timdunkandthefunk's VVD assessment. He may not be in top form but he hasn't been bad. Anything but in the several games I've watched. He's maybe roamed a bit forward for my liking at times, but he's been solid. He's also having to cover 2 CD spots because we've got the broken Matip and lack of Lovren in camp. So that's caused him a few headaches having no true partner. I still don't see how Klopp feels we don't need another CD but it's his team.

I thought CCV played well the other day, but if he's not going to play for Spurs, sell him. Please.

Its why I was saddened to hear that he had signed a new contract. He's obviously never going to be given a opportunity, so let him move on. That being said he's certainly still very raw, as he was the poorest of the USMNT center backs who played this summer. Miazga is miles ahead of him.

Thing is, CCV is really young. He just spent his age 19/20 season playing 31 times in the Championship, which is not a small achievement. And Pochettino has been very quick to sell along young players who he thinks have no long term future - so getting a new contract for CCV is a pretty strong endorsement from a guy with a terrific track record in terms of developing defenders. The problem is that Spurs have a glut of young defenders in the development pipleine and are looking to get another one (De Ligt maybe) and CCV is the furthest behind of any them. He can only really play as a right sided center half, and the guy he'd have to beat out to be a regular starter is Davinson Sanchez ... and yeah, that is not happening.

My guess is that he plays in Cups this year and tries to break fully into the first team. When that does not happen, he'll be loaned out next season to a Premier League team like Crystal Palace and then eventually a permanent move will be finalized. After last season we now know his absolute floor is as a good Championship defender, but I think he'll end up being a solid mid table PL defender ... sort of a Stephen Caulker 2.0 (which is who he reminds me of a lot ... also broke through young and then sort of maxed out his talent ... Caulker is actually still only 26).

We need to have a discussion about the fucking atrocious gradient kits that both United and Tottenham are wearing this season.

Tottenham-Roma.jpg

0_Manchester-United-v-Real-Madrid-International-Champions-Cup-2018.jpg

The Spurs kit gradient is a more even fade but it just looks smudged and messy, the United one is spaced out and looks idiotic up close but on TV looks a bit neater. United's kit also makes them wear black shorts and not the traditional white (Spurs wear white shorts in Europe, which also looks comically stupid with these tops). The gradient socks are just ridiculous on both kits.

Since it's one from Adidas and one from Nike, it's clear this gradient top thing is a trend across the industry. It should be burned with fire and never used again.

Uniteds shirt is hideous as a stand alone but as a kit I kinda like it
But I'll never buy that shirt to wear

The navy shirt tho? SEXXX

I will be in England in a couple weeks and plan to make at least one EPL match. Any advice on getting tickets? I've read that many online sites in Europe are less than ethical so I'd rather find a reputable source even if it costs more.

I will be in England in a couple weeks and plan to make at least one EPL match. Any advice on getting tickets? I've read that many online sites in Europe are less than ethical so I'd rather find a reputable source even if it costs more.
Depends on who you are watching, try to buy tickets through the club directly. Nearly every club with a few exceptions will have a few tickets available.

If not, Viagogo is a shitty company but reliable. Prepare your anus to be preyed upon though.

Ozil with a nice touch in the buildup to Lacazette's late game-tying goal against Chelsea in Dublin yesterday.

I finally got around to renewing the Fantasy League on premierleague.com's site.

Don't forget to go and set a team and rejoin the league.

Anybody new, use this code:

[h=3]Code to join this league: 2038951-469648[/h]

Hot take: Chelsea stealing Jorginho from City is a godsend for the competitiveness of the EPL this year.

Frank Lampard's first-ever game as a manager for Derby County against some club named Reading coming up in 10 mins, for those who are ready for some club footy and for those who happen to have E+

Frank Lampard's first-ever game as a manager for Derby County against some club named Reading coming up in 10 mins, for those who are ready for some club footy and for those who happen to have E+

Derby with the stoppage time winner. Nice start for Frank.

Back