• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Leicester were much better than ManU. Undeserved, lucky win.

Also Bailley (?) Definitely looked like he pulled back Vardy on that Pereira cross...should have been a penalty if he didn't score

Lindelof didn’t look like a donkey today. If he comes good ManU won’t give up many goals this season.

Lindelof didn’t look like a donkey today. If he comes good ManU won’t give up many goals this season.

I'm just interested in vad's mystery "underlying defensive stats", or whatever the fuck he said, that showed that United's defense last season was only down to David de Gea.

He posted that thought once or twice...with no source or explanation. Which I found odd.

Leicester were much better than ManU. Undeserved, lucky win.

Also Bailley (?) Definitely looked like he pulled back Vardy on that Pereira cross...should have been a penalty if he didn't score

No they weren't. It was a pretty crap match all around with both sides creating a couple of quality chances, but really just a drab match.

And are you really trying to complain about the ref on a play where the team offended against still scored a goal? What exactly is your point? "Yeah, I know they scored, but it should have been an AND-1!" ?

I'm just interested in vad's mystery "underlying defensive stats", or whatever the fuck he said, that showed that United's defense last season was only down to David de Gea.

He posted that thought once or twice...with no source or explanation. Which I found odd.

All the preseason predictions do start with “if ManU stop doing all the things they’ve always done under Mourinho then...”.

That being said, United didn’t look great today. I see a lot of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 results in their future.

Didn't look good for Yedlin at all. That could be two of our starting back four out with knee injuries one game into the season.

I mean - it's something that has been widely discussed on football forums (including here) basically since Christmas. United gave up a ton of shots, and gave them up from good positions consistently throughout the entire season. De Gea played at a historic level though, and covered up a lot of those faults.

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2017

xG had United as the 5th best defense in the league (xGA of 43.54 goals against) ... a whopping 15.54 goals worse than their final goals against statistic. A huge part of the reason that United was such an outlier defensively was the play of De Gea. He was worth 10+ goals last season by more granular advanced statistics, which is an absolutely monstrous figure that is utterly unsustainable.

Based on the quality of chances faced and saves made - De Gea and Nick Pope (Burnley, who had a shambolic defense that he kept together with duct tape) saved the highest percentage of expected goals ... meaning that teams underperformance in attack against United was not down to bad finishing or "luck" but down to De Gea's performance. Also notable - Liverpool's keepers were absolute garbage and Alisson will be a huge and immediate improvement.

Last edited:
Apparently Mendes’ reach applies to referees too

Of course we’re getting fucked two days after our best transfer window ever

Lol, that was an absolutely terrible tackle. And always going to get called if a player's just given the ball away. Straight through the ankle with the studs

Back