• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

There are levels, including levels to the case that put that politician in jail and the current conditions of his imprisonment. Lots of levels. Bolsonaro is no fix. And this is being used to justify an authoritarian power grab, not a clean up.

I have no skin in the game here. You said what is it with all these players supporting him and I just offered the reasoning. I don’t have a colonial mindset of knowing what’s best for developing countries and their people

Good piece on Van Dijk. I like the Jaap Stam comparison.

A few years ago, Liverpool were tenuously linked to a young Uruguayan striker named David Texeira (turns out it was a combination of someone hearing Joao Carlos Teixeira's name, knowing the Suarez link at Gronigen, and running with it, I think), and ESPN at the time had Dutch league games on watchespn, so I watched a few. He was not that good, but there was a young giant centerback balling in those games. I wonder if I posted about him at the time. Anyway, it was Van Dijk.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-wake-up-to-the-brilliance-of-virgil-van-dijk

Jardim out at Monaco. Next United manager? There are Mendes ties.

Thierry Henry likely to be in the running at Monaco after turning down Aston Villa's offer (where apparently he would have been part of a management team with John Terry; I can see how he might not have been thrilled at that idea).

Last edited:
Not sure yet what to think of Curtis Jones. He's clearly highly thought of, and at times has a little McManaman about him (god I loved Steve McManaman the player, maybe one of the more underrated players, imo, when I was growing up), but we'll see if he continues to develop. I need to watch more of him I guess, I don't know if he's doing numbers for the youth or is just smooth, or what. He never blows me away when I see him. Will be interesting to watch.

Not sure yet what to think of Curtis Jones. He's clearly highly thought of, and at times has a little McManaman about him (god I loved Steve McManaman the player, maybe one of the more underrated players, imo, when I was growing up), but we'll see if he continues to develop. I need to watch more of him I guess, I don't know if he's doing numbers for the youth or is just smooth, or what. He never blows me away when I see him. Will be interesting to watch.

I've been impressed by Jones as well although I'm not sure I see the McManaman comparison who was more of a winger that ran at defenders. I'm not sure what Jones' best position is yet.

McManaman spent a fair bit of time on the wing, but I think is too often remembered as only doing that. He could play as a 10 and through the midfield as well, and get goals. Beat and take out players progressing through the middle, not just isolated 1 on 1 out wide. They're both tall-ish (six feet) dudes who can operate wide or through the middle and come from deep. Maybe don't get goals in bulk numbers, but contribute to the attacking play. When he's been with the seniors Jones has operated out wide, too. I don't know, it could just be the curly locks that do it.

Like, I think if McManaman was playing for Klopp today he would be comfortable in Mane or Salah's position, and I think he could be in one of those two more advanced midfield positions of the midfield 3, the 8/10. I think that's where Jones is seen as eventually progressing, though he has been all over the place when he has been with the first team.

Last edited:
Weird, I don't know why that Curtis Jones post is on there twice ten minutes apart.

Holy shit Victor Palsson just came on for Iceland against France — I had totally forgotten about that guy.
M

Mo, Mane, Virgil, and Keita all injured during international duty. COOL.

Mo, Mane, Virgil, and Keita all injured during international duty. COOL.

Great, just great. Lallana and Sturridge the ironmen will save the squad, though.

Mane just had surgery on the thumb, but might be available. Van Dijk's injury is the same rib injury he suffered in training leading up to PSG, I think? Though Koeman said he is playing with two broken ribs and constant injections, and Klopp said bruised ribs, so who knows. I'm inclined to believe Koeman.

I think Salah and Keita are hamstrings, but from the sound of it Keita's is more serious (though I think he recovers from injury pretty quickly from what I've seen the last few years). Fingers crossed. Get ready to rock Fabinho. I also saw that Milner may be recovering faster than they first thought.

I just read a report that there were no stretchers available for Keita, so a teammate gave him a piggy back ride to the locker room and Liverpool chartered a jet for him to fly back immediately. Gotta love friendlies.

Edit - wait, is Henderson hurt, too?

pretty slow start this morning between United and Chelsea

neither team seems too interested in committing numbers to the attack and leaving themselves exposed to a counter

Back