• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

So with United not signing a center back and the back drop of Jose’s summer of discontent, one can’t help but wonder about the post game interview Jose will offer up if United lose to Leicester tomorrow. There’s nothing quite like Jose when he’s angry and frustrated and seething with contempt.

FWIW, I’m not convinced that a new center back would have materially changed United’s outlook for this season. Between Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof and Rojo, Jose has plenty to work with in setting his back line. The key is keeping Bailly healthy.

I think a new CB would have been huge for United. Their underlying defensive stats were actually quite poor last season and De Gea being Spiderman and playing out of his fucking mind led to their defensive record - that and Mourinho's tactics. That attack is sort of fundamentally broken and will be as long as Mourinho does not trust his defense.

Not PL related - but definitely football related.

I picked up my season ticket card today for Wiener Sportklub. Currently in the 3rd division of Austrian football it's the super left wing club here (the shirt sponsor a few years ago was "Refugees Welcome"). The oldest stadium in all of Europe it sits up against a graveyard and the "ultras" end is the called literally the Friedhofstribüne "Graveyard Stand". Football clubs in Europe are politics, so no chance I wasn't going to pick a home club for myself that didn't represent the things I believe in and work for in the rest of my life.

Pretty excited to get to spend my Friday nights this year singing and drinking beers. "We are all the same in the stand, just like we are in the cemetary".

Kk0EJv9.jpg

Kj3LVCx.jpg

Small English documentary on the hilarious "Derby of Love" between Sportklub and First Vienna here:

That’s pretty cool. You’ll have to post some stadium pics once you make a few games.

@svertelney: Eintracht Frankfurt's new manager is named Adolf Hütter

I'm afraid to say anything else, so I'll just leave it at that

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham
3. Pool
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Everton
7. Manchester United
8. Wolves
9. West Ham
10. Leicester
11. Crystal Palace
12. Fulham
13. Newcastle
14. Burnley
15. Brighton
16. Southampton
17. Bournemouth
18. Cardiff
19. Watford
20. Huddersfield

Man City
Liverpool
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham
Everton
Wolves
Leicester
Newcastle
Palace
Fulham
Burnley
Soton
Brighton
Bournemouth
Watford
Huddersfield
Cardiff

I think a new CB would have been huge for United. Their underlying defensive stats were actually quite poor last season and De Gea being Spiderman and playing out of his fucking mind led to their defensive record - that and Mourinho's tactics. That attack is sort of fundamentally broken and will be as long as Mourinho does not trust his defense.

A healthy Bailly will make a big difference imo.

I don't have much bad to say about Alexis Sanchez, but I have to wonder how he feels about the situation at ManU right now versus what his situation might look like at Arsenal.
"Nice, I get to play in the Champions League unlike if I was at Arsenal." But in Spanish.

Answered.

"Nice, I get to play in the Champions League unlike if I was at Arsenal." But in Spanish.

Answered.

While his coach parks the bus with a shitty defense and expects him to perform a miracle.

Think Watford, Cardiff and Hudds are wise releg choices.

Hudds I give a shot to b/c Wagner is a boss. Newcastle most likely to implode

Top 6..
Man City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
ManU
Arsenal
(7-17th are pretty much interchangable)
18th Brighton
19th Newcastle
20th Cardiff

Man U on paper should be top 4 but they are a dumpster fire waiting to catch on fire. The Chosen One could be gone by XMAS if they start slow.

Arsenal is solid 6th (not sold that their new manager can get them in the top 4).

There is an obvious trust break down between Mourinho and the suits and Mourinho is waging war in the media, which would sometimes be a smart strategy... BUT YOU NEED THE SUPPORTERS ON YOUR SIDE FIRST.

Mourinho doesn't have the supporters and I'm guessing given his scathing comments about players over the summer, he doesn't have many of them on his side either.

Rip the bandaid off now please because this just looks stupid at this point.

And I honestly have no clue where United will be in the table. This is such a fucking bizarre way to START a season.

And I honestly have no clue where United will be in the table. This is such a fucking bizarre way to START a season.

Agreed. United still have a great manager and great players but who the hell knows where this thing is headed.

Curious why so many predict Newcastle to be near the bottom. If Rafa leaves after this season, which could very well happen given the lack of support he's received from Ashley, then all bets are off. But as long as he's at Newcastle his players will play their socks off for him and the fans will continue to fanatically support the club. He got them to a tenth place finish last year and most of that effort was in the second half when he finally got in some decent reinforcements, which are back this year. I'm a homer though, so who knows.

Curious why so many predict Newcastle to be near the bottom. If Rafa leaves after this season, which could very well happen given the lack of support he's received from Ashley, then all bets are off. But as long as he's at Newcastle his players will play their socks off for him and the fans will continue to fanatically support the club. He got them to a tenth place finish last year and most of that effort was in the second half when he finally got in some decent reinforcements, which are back this year. I'm a homer though, so who knows.

He did get a 10th place finish but they struggled for most of the season.
He's pulling a mini-Mourhino... complaining about the lack of finances which is not going to get them off on the right foot.

In a league where there is not much difference between 7-20, even the slightest of issues can put a team in the relegation zone.

At the start of last season, who would have had Swansea, West Brom and Stoke going down?

Man City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Wolves
Leicester
West Ham
Fulham
Burnley
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Watford
Bournemouth
Soton
Newcastle
Huddersfield
Cardiff

I'm feeling much more optimistic about my Toffees this year. Not enough to crack the Sky Six, but I do have them in 7th, unlike last year when I picked them to finish 10th.

Last edited:
Back