• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Spurs are in the Champions League final. They should probably be considered a mega club, even if they're cheap.

It's pretty hard to allow yourself to think like that, haha.

ETA: the other quoted interested clubs were PSG, Juve, and City so... different financial level.

Last edited:
"Spurs have made a provisional contract offer to the 22 year old that is “more financially significant than anything they have offered anyone for quite some time."
This is what makes me hope that Levy et al. are upping their commitment (or growing a commitment) to improving the squad and making Poch happy enough to stay.

Mbappe with some interesting comments on accepting his player of the year award tonight. Paraphrasing, but saying he’s at a turning point and that it is time for him to take more responsibility, either in Paris or elsewhere. Hmmmmm.

Havertz maybe on the move, too? Ok, I guess I’ll check my pockets and cushions, but I think maybe 400-450 might get it done for Mbappe, Havertz, Ndombele, and De Ligt. Those Firmino to PSG rumors make more sense now. It’d be tough to see Bobby Bert Firmino go, buuuuuut, I’ll think about it now.

So I know this is just pure fantasy, but would you let Firmino and Salah go if you can get Mbappe and Havertz?

I’m bored.

Oh I’d bring in 4-5 every window if I ever played that for sure, it would be crazy. I think those games would drive me crazy. I’d be even worse at all this in real life.

Rumors today that PSG and Juve are after the signatures of Milinkovic-Savic and Allan, which could potentially pave the way for Spurs to make a serious run for Ndombele.

Levy pls.

Deep read on Liverpool and Data in the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

The future:

Spearman hasn’t had much to do with Liverpool’s recent success. He does almost none of the work that Klopp sees, and he’s rarely involved with discovering players. His mandate is more ethereal. Spearman knows just enough about the sport, or just little enough, to try to change it. “We’re just starting to ask the question, ‘Why don’t we try to play football in a slightly different way?’ ” Graham explains. Soccer is the sum of thousands of individual actions, but the only ones Graham’s model can evaluate are the passes, shots and ball movements that are downloaded from the official play-by-play. “There are still fundamental limitations in the data we have,” Graham says. “It’s still like looking through a very foggy lens.” By working to get the mathematical rendering closer to reflecting what actually happens on the field, recording not just that a defender kicked a pass to a midfielder but how hard it went and what happened when it was received, Spearman is looking to find a path through the fog.

Most of his time is spent creating a model that employs video tracking. It assigns numerical scores to everything that happens to everyone, even when the ball isn’t involved. That includes a fullback racing down the sideline, forcing a lone defender to choose between two players to cover, or a striker getting into position to receive a cross directly in front of the goalkeeper, even if the pass sails over his head — “every action, how much value it adds, how well it was performed,” Spearman says. “Once you have that, you can start to create new approaches.” One might be to script plays, like in the N.F.L., radically altering the nature of a game that has resisted change for more than a century.

Last edited:
I saw a viz of the above quote recently, so I'll try to find it. It's pretty cool looking.

Ah, I guess it's been out a while. Still, the FUTURE.

Last edited:
Sounds like Trippier is on his way to Napoli for 25m after the final. Which... great! Position that needs upgrading. Bought him for 3m a few years back; can't complain about that.

United just (reportedly) increased their wage offer to De Ligt to try to hijack his move to Barca

That boy is worth every penny on offer and then some. What a player at just 19.

Back