• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Woodward wants him at United. Jose wants Willian or Perisic instead according to journalists around the club.

I know I'm an anyone but United guy, but honestly I can't think of a place I'd least like him to go. Liverpool is bad enough, but at least he'd have Klopp there, as painful as that is to consider. I don't want him playing for Jose and certainly don't want him struggling for minutes.

I know I'm an anyone but United guy, but honestly I can't think of a place I'd least like him to go. Liverpool is bad enough, but at least he'd have Klopp there, as painful as that is to consider. I don't want him playing for Jose and certainly don't want him struggling for minutes.

Not sure where all those Liverpool minutes are coming from either.

Random thoughts from Spurs pre-season so far:

Spurs are badly struggling with injuries in MF going into the season ... Winks isn't fully fit yet, Wanyama's knee is acting up again (that could be a bad long term situation), Sissoko pulled his hamstring and Dembele is basically always hurt. At this point it's going to be a not match fit Dier and some youth players in the MF to open the year.

Speaking of youth players, Oliver Skipp has been excellent for Spurs on this tour and should make his first team debut this season in one of the cups. He's just 17 and has already spent a full season with the U-21s. Tidy and terrier like DM, he's easily Spurs best prospect right now and barring injury should be a solid PL player at a minimum.

Really bummed Juan Foyth picked up an injury and missed the tour. He's likely to be Vertonghen's long term replacement and needs all the game time he can get.

Kyle Walker-Peters is clearly a PL level talent, but a Top 6 level fullback I'm wondering about. He's neat and good on the ball and everything, but he lacks any of the explosive ability that really defines top class fullbacks. wakephan will hate me for it, but he looks at his peak like a West Ham level player right now.

Lucas Moura is the sex. All that needs to be said. God I hope he looks like this once the season kicks off.

Cameron Carter-Vickers won't ever be a starter for Tottenham, and will be sold on to a lower level PL team in the next year or so. I'll call my shot on that now. He's big, physical and did very well in the Championship last season ... but when asked to use the ball the way Pochettino wants his CB's to, he just looks a bit lost.

Korea better win the Asian Games, because losing Son to the military would be a huge blow to Spurs. He's turned into a massively good footballer.

SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ERIKSEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH LOVE YOU

Pochettino has wanted a quick wide player for seasons now, and signed a bunch of French prospects hoping to hit on one of them (N'Jie, N'Koudou, etc). The return on that to this point has been the sum of fuck all. N'Koudou is still terrible.

Gazzaniga is a pretty damn good 3rd keeper, really damn good actually. And he's a gorgeous human being. But keeping both him and Vorm soaking up foreign trained player slots is cramping the rest of the team. One of them (likely Vorm) should really be moved and an association trained young keeper brought in.

Random thoughts from Spurs pre-season so far:

Spurs are badly struggling with injuries in MF going into the season ... Winks isn't fully fit yet, Wanyama's knee is acting up again (that could be a bad long term situation), Sissoko pulled his hamstring and Dembele is basically always hurt. At this point it's going to be a not match fit Dier and some youth players in the MF to open the year.

Speaking of youth players, Oliver Skipp has been excellent for Spurs on this tour and should make his first team debut this season in one of the cups. He's just 17 and has already spent a full season with the U-21s. Tidy and terrier like DM, he's easily Spurs best prospect right now and barring injury should be a solid PL player at a minimum.

Really bummed Juan Foyth picked up an injury and missed the tour. He's likely to be Vertonghen's long term replacement and needs all the game time he can get.

Kyle Walker-Peters is clearly a PL level talent, but a Top 6 level fullback I'm wondering about. He's neat and good on the ball and everything, but he lacks any of the explosive ability that really defines top class fullbacks. wakephan will hate me for it, but he looks at his peak like a West Ham level player right now.

Lucas Moura is the sex. All that needs to be said. God I hope he looks like this once the season kicks off.

Cameron Carter-Vickers won't ever be a starter for Tottenham, and will be sold on to a lower level PL team in the next year or so. I'll call my shot on that now. He's big, physical and did very well in the Championship last season ... but when asked to use the ball the way Pochettino wants his CB's to, he just looks a bit lost.

Korea better win the Asian Games, because losing Son to the military would be a huge blow to Spurs. He's turned into a massively good footballer.

SIGN A NEW CONTRACT ERIKSEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH LOVE YOU

Pochettino has wanted a quick wide player for seasons now, and signed a bunch of French prospects hoping to hit on one of them (N'Jie, N'Koudou, etc). The return on that to this point has been the sum of fuck all. N'Koudou is still terrible.

Gazzaniga is a pretty damn good 3rd keeper, really damn good actually. And he's a gorgeous human being. But keeping both him and Vorm soaking up foreign trained player slots is cramping the rest of the team. One of them (likely Vorm) should really be moved and an association trained young keeper brought in.

I thought CCV played well the other day, but if he's not going to play for Spurs, sell him. Please.

I don't hate you because I have few illusions about west ham's historical pedigree. We do always get up for derbies though.

But "not United quality" has a better ring to it.

I thought CCV played well the other day, but if he's not going to play for Spurs, sell him. Please.

Its why I was saddened to hear that he had signed a new contract. He's obviously never going to be given a opportunity, so let him move on. That being said he's certainly still very raw, as he was the poorest of the USMNT center backs who played this summer. Miazga is miles ahead of him.

Look it as this quick video of his line-splitting passes against France as the center in a three man back line. He is going to be good. With our lack of center backs who can pass and move at Everton, I'd love to see us go in for him. I doubt he'll get much of chance at Chelsea.

https://twitter.com/joeincleats/status/1005900678550573057?lang=en

vad's post was great so I'll try one for Liverpool. Context is I watched at least part of all the preseason friendlies and all of half of them.

VVD hasn't been very good. This in itself doesn't mean anything (track record of being awesome, didn't play in the WC, not playing next to his primary partner/the same guy match to match) but it is worth noting that if his play slips even a little from last year the defense could go to hell quickly.

Robertson better stay healthy. Moreno is regressing and it was painful watching him get burned by jamokes from the lower tiers of English football.

Curtis Jones and Rafa Camacho were the two most impressive youngsters. Jones looks like he has a real future in the side and Camacho will be a good player for a non-top six squad.

Ben Woodburn is only 18 still but I'm almost ready to say he won't cut it at Liverpool. He looks a little too slow for his size.

It is obvious but Mane and Salah are both very good. Anytime they were on the field the team looked way better. I'm predicting the gap in goals for the two is much more narrow this season. Tiny thing but I don't love Mane's new goal celebration of pointing at the back of his jersey. If he is as good as I think he'll be this season then he'll probably be on Madrid the following year.

Keita and Fabinho are both exciting but Keita often tried to do too much with ball while Fabinho got caught on the ball multiple times. I'm tempted to say Fabinho looks a little stiff but again, proven track record and he'll get up to speed.

Alisson better start 100% of the matches because everyone that put on a neon green/yellow/pink shirt for Liverpool this preseason has ranged from awkwardly mediocre to awful.

I'm not buying the new Sturridge role. He has reinvented himself as a forward that hovers around the edge of the 18 yard box and pings one touch passes/shots. It has worked pretty well against the crap teams/youth players but the passing won't be good enough when it matters.

Origi has been terrible. He was never a world beater but he did score goals at a decent clip. Done at Liverpool for sure.

If refs gave out cards in friendlies like they do in meaningful matches then Liverpool would have averaged six yellow cards a game. Milner in particular was a fouling machine.

Shaqiri looks good! The bike aside he looks like a player that will contribute much more to the team than Solanke, Sturridge, or Lallana.

Alisson joins the squad this week and that will mean the team is only waiting on Hendo, TAA, Firmino and Lovren. Definitely not hit as hard by WC absentees as the other top sides.

Lol. Yeah, great move DeAndre !

He's a regular starter, getting tons of experience in the EPL (save one year in the Championship) under a good manager. Isn't that what you want for purposes of development? You can only improve so much when you never see the pitch ...

vad's post was great so I'll try one for Liverpool. Context is I watched at least part of all the preseason friendlies and all of half of them.

VVD hasn't been very good. This in itself doesn't mean anything (track record of being awesome, didn't play in the WC, not playing next to his primary partner/the same guy match to match) but it is worth noting that if his play slips even a little from last year the defense could go to hell quickly.

Robertson better stay healthy. Moreno is regressing and it was painful watching him get burned by jamokes from the lower tiers of English football.

I think you're overthinking preseason games if you're worried about VVD. I also think Moreno deserves some benefit of the doubt. He played well last year until he was injured and while Robertson was better when he came in, Moreno as a back up is a quality option.

I agree with you that the Sturridge optimism is a little misplaced. I love him as a player but even when he's healthy, he doesn't play at the tempo necessary to consistently succeed in Klopp's system. It's a little like Berbatov at the end of his United days. His talent was obvious but his movement and tempo didn't fit within a dynamic United side.

I think you're overthinking preseason games if you're worried about VVD. I also think Moreno deserves some benefit of the doubt. He played well last year until he was injured and while Robertson was better when he came in, Moreno as a back up is a quality option.

To be fair, I said the VVD play doesn't mean anything and that Moreno is regressing (so not as good as last year before the injury).

I agree with you that the Sturridge optimism is a little misplaced. I love him as a player but even when he's healthy, he doesn't play at the tempo necessary to consistently succeed in Klopp's system. It's a little like Berbatov at the end of his United days. His talent was obvious but his movement and tempo didn't fit within a dynamic United side.
Dont you ever dare to compare Sturridge to Berbasex ever again. I'll cut you.

He's a regular starter, getting tons of experience in the EPL (save one year in the Championship) under a good manager. Isn't that what you want for purposes of development? You can only improve so much when you never see the pitch ...

Pretty sure Spurs we’re glad to sell him instead of.a hero like Toby.

Back