• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Fucking A, Spurs cannot get the ball all the way into the net. So many mis-hits and great goalkeeping. This match is hilariously open.

Alisson is worth ten times what we paid for him. Just outstanding

Matip, Trent A-A with injuries, hope not too bad, Milner with just cramp I think.

Matip, Trent A-A with injuries, hope not too bad, Milner with just cramp I think.

That last shot on Matip was cheap. Stinks to lose VVD for a match but if that guy had his foot planted firmly it could have been an ugly injury/red. Pretty textbook example of how you can get the ball first and still clearly commit a foul. Sean Dyche (and all the old Liverpool people I follow on Twitter) clearly disagree.

I thought it was the correct call on the Van Dijk challenge, as well, and was right on the edge of red. :noidea:

Last edited:
Article on how Klopp's teams have adapted and progressed since he arrived at Liverpool.

https://statsbomb.com/2018/12/has-jurgen-klopp-changed-liverpools-approach-for-good/

This passage stands out because it highlights a couple of stats that haven't really made it into the mainstream, but I am seeing more and more often: deep progressions and (open play) passes into the box. Anyway, something to keep in mind if someone gets a lot of run and you are curious why. Stats guys seem generally down on Andre Gomes, for instance, but I have a feeling he might measure well in this? I suspect Emre Can might be similar. It also could just be that having a 6+ footer in midfield who can move has some kind of value that isn't measurable.

While Coutinho and Lallana were the chief playmakers in 2016/17, through transfer and injury, neither were mainstays in the side the following year. The aforementioned Salah took Coutinho’s place in the front three and interpreted the role very differently, while Lallana’s midfield role ended up largely being filled by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Oxlade-Chamberlain offered different qualities, with his strongest asset perhaps being his ability to drive the ball forward from deep, exploiting space in transition. The Englishman certainly became an important cog in the way Liverpool moved the ball forward, ranking third in terms of deep progressions per 90 and second in open play passes into the box. But this personnel shift enabled a much greater emphasis on transition football, looking to attack on quick turnovers rather than prolonged periods of possession. Liverpool ranked first in the league in terms of “high press shots”, defined as shots from possessions that were won within 5 seconds of a defensive action in the opposition’s half. After the detour of something slightly different based on the tools available to him, the archetypal “Klopp football” had arrived at Anfield.

Also goes into part of the reason that Fabinho and Keita have needed a little adjustment period due to system (and intensity, as well, I'm sure).

Matip out 6 weeks with broken collarbone. Adds to Gomez also out for 6ish weeks. Guess Nathaniel Phillips (21 year old reserve) might have to play a bit. Potentially Fabinho as well but he might have to play RB depending on TAA and whether Clyne can ever play another game for us.

Christ. And as timdunk said, the Matip hit looked kind of dirty, too. Koulibaly right at the end plows into Matip. Not sure many caught it at the time because it was right as the whistle went.

Christ. And as timdunk said, the Matip hit looked kind of dirty, too. Koulibaly right at the end plows into Matip. Not sure many caught it at the time because it was right as the whistle went.

I saw Matip grab his shoulder and start rolling around. Was hoping it was attempted time wasting but he didn't get up after the whistle. Trying to find a video of it but it was definitely dirty. Guy threw his arm out in a very unnatural way.

Matip out 6 weeks with broken collarbone. Adds to Gomez also out for 6ish weeks. Guess Nathaniel Phillips (21 year old reserve) might have to play a bit. Potentially Fabinho as well but he might have to play RB depending on TAA and whether Clyne can ever play another game for us.

Nat Phillips was all set to go to UNC-Charlotte before Liverpool convinced him to give it another shot in England.

Back