• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Democratic Party Left Me Behind

No one is forcing local Dem candidates to run on "Abolish Ice", but it's a stupid typical Democrat mistake to concede the national message for fear of losing imaginary swing voters. That's exactly what Republicans want, for the Democratic party to concede any clear messaging just to fight for fringe nationalist conservative voters they aren't going to get.

Hasn't every recent presidential candidate besides Trump advocated for a fix to the immigration problem ?

one where people cross the border at official check points and with the permission of the country that they are entering

Trump closed most of the Ports of Entry and slowed down processing at the others to prevent these people from entering the country legally. But don't be bothered by the facts and keep supporting the racist policy.

I can finally post some Candlebox lyrics -- been waiting a long time for this:

Maybe I didn't mean to treat you oh so bad?
But I did it anyway
So maybe some would say you're left with what you had
But you couldn't share the pain
I said times have changed your friends They come and watch you crumble to the ground
They watch you suffer
Yeah they hold you down hold you down
Maybe I didn't mean to treat you bad?
But you left me far behind
Left me far behind
LEFT ME FAAARRR BEHIINNNYIYIYIYIND

speaking of lyrics, i just found out yesterday that "My Own Worst Enemy" is by Lit, not Blink 182

Like most democratic ideas it’s a good policy but a shitty slogan. Largely because people don’t understand the difference between INS, USCIS, CBP, USBP, and ICE.

People want a strong border to stop terrorism and provide some semblance of order to whatever our immigration system ends up being.

They don’t want an agency that started out with a counter-terrorism mission but is turning into a modern day gestapo.

I think this is what I was trying to say - it's a bad slogan that increases vulnerability to bad-faith GOP attacks.

A better slogan would be something like "Strong Borders are Compassionate Borders". Obviously nobody is going to hire me as an election slogan writer. The GOP has done a better job distilling their policy into two words, possibly because the GOP's policies have been incredibly dumbed down over the past 20 years.

Dems should go all in on New Lebensraum and just annex northern Mexico. Out MAGA the MAGA folks.

one where people cross the border at official check points and with the permission of the country that they are entering

We have that. We’ve had that.

The problem with that 4 sentence policy position is that it’s 3.5 sentences too long. When it can be distilled to a “Build the wall and make Mexico pay for it” parallel, you might have a winner.

"Strong defended boarder with an easier path to legal immigration" I think that is the one sentence shortened approach most Americans would agree on.

"abolish ice, and sanctuary cities" is not a good look, especially to hard working immigrants who spent the time, energy, money, blood, sweat, and tears to come over the legal way and participate in the American dream.

Well they all didn’t cross an unprotected southern border.

Republicans really seem to believe that, under Obama and Bill Clinton, Democrats literally left our border with Mexico undefended and people just crossed willy-nilly all the time. And when these hordes of illegal immigrants arrived in the US, the Democrats immediately, somehow, signed them up as voters. Or at least that's the impression you get from Trumpites on social media, Fox News talking heads, etc.

"Strong defended boarder with an easier path to legal immigration" I think that is the one sentence shortened approach most Americans would agree on.

"abolish ice, and sanctuary cities" is not a good look, especially to hard working immigrants who spent the time, energy, money, blood, sweat, and tears to come over the legal way and participate in the American dream.

1. "Most Americans" don't vote Democrat, and moderate messaging won't change that.

2. Not a good look to whom? Republicans? So what?

3. Are you not aware of ICE and immigration services extreme unpopularity among all immigrants, legal or not?

The pretense that there is some significant portion of immigrants who support current immigration tactics is ludicrous. Possibly you have older conservative Cuban voters in south Florida, but that's it.

there's actually lots of evidence that says the border works better when it's less "secure"

Back