• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA One & Done Rule

This is either going to strengthen college basketball or kill it.

Either would be preferable to what we have right now. The last couple seasons/tournaments have been trash.

Ugh. Can’t think of a current player besides Lebron who was or would be a high level player in his first year out of HS. Neither of the top two ROY candidates were even in their second year out of HS.
Really depends on your definition of "High level" but Durant, Blake Griffin, Michael Beasley, John Wall, Cousins, Kyrie, Wiggins, Towns, Tatum, Devin Booker, Markennen, DSJ, Ben Simmons, Porzingis, etc. all could have contributed straight out of school. I bet most of their scouting reports said they were ready for the NBA.

They don't have to be high level, but it also hamstrings the league as a whole if there are a whole crop of guys using up 1st round pick salary cap slots and roster spots who don't get off the bench. Yes they develop in practice and via workouts, but that is a different type of development than in-game experience development. And while the star players will ultimately get plenty of game time, it certainly impacts the bench play. Do you want a guy like VanVleet with tons of game experience coming off your bench or a young JR Smith who may have been more talented but had no idea how to play in a game and has to learn on the fly?

I don't think it is a coincidence that the quality of the NBA generally sucked in the early 2000s while the great flock of straight-from-high-school were in their prime and has increased tremendously as those guys have phased out.

I think a change to how rookie contracts were structured/counted towards the cap would help with that. I’m not sure exactly what it would look like but you can create space and incentive for teams to send guys to the G-league

this might be interesting for a player who won't get drafted until LATE in the draft. Can they decide not to sign for a sucky NBA team and then change and go to college?

This is either going to strengthen college basketball or kill it.

Either would be preferable to what we have right now. The last couple seasons/tournaments have been trash.

I think if they put something in place that requires a two year commitment if kids go to college, then there will at least be a little more continuity to the game rather than the revolving door. Plus coaches can plan a little better from a recruiting standpoint and manage rosters easier when they know at least the clock won't start after the first year.

I think if they put something in place that requires a two year commitment if kids go to college, then there will at least be a little more continuity to the game rather than the revolving door. Plus coaches can plan a little better from a recruiting standpoint and manage rosters easier when they know at least the clock won't start after the first year.

Hard to see what incentive the NBA would have to implement that type of system. The NCAA shouldn’t be relying on a competitor in the first place.

I'm pretty sure K and Cal will be able to get by if the NBA takes the best few players from each recruiting class. Their greatest exposure, imo, is having a class lined up and then losing two or three guys to the NBA with no way to replace them.

Do you think players "learn to play the game" better in college, with inferior coaching and limited practice hours, or in the pros, with better coaching and unlimited practice?

They definitely have more potential to learn more in the NBA. Didn’t say they didn’t. I said they could learn.

Do you think players can’t “learn to play the game” at all in college? If not, you don’t disagree with me.

A 13 year old can “learn” in high school. That same kid can “learn” in college. That same kid could even “learn” in a full time job. But it’s probably best for them to learn at a high school pace.

Same is true for an 18 year old. Very few 18 year olds learn best by being in a full time job with grown ass men who have been playing much longer. Most will be better off learning at a college pace with coaches who are used to teaching young men how to play.

Do you disagree with that?

um, our advanced/smartest kids jump ahead to higher levels of education all the time

we're not talking about the average, we're talking about the highest skilled/most potential cases

NBA One & Done Rule

I'm pretty sure K and Cal will be able to get by if the NBA takes the best few players from each recruiting class. Their greatest exposure, imo, is having a class lined up and then losing two or three guys to the NBA with no way to replace them.

No way? Expect them to keep magically convincing 17 year olds to reclassify and enroll.

Thinking out loud here
NBA draft is expanded several more rounds, but it's expected (like baseball) that most kids go through the minor/G league for a year or two and a lot of kids wouldn't make it to the NBA
Signing day is before the NBA draft so kids commit to school before the draft
If a kid decided to go "pro" instead of school then the school gets docked that scholarship for a year and has to offer that player X years of free education to be used within X number of years (although they won't be able to play ball, just free school)
I'm sure there are a number of reasons this wouldn't work, but it'd be interesting and would definitely shake up recruiting if you thought a guy was one and done or was going to go right out of HS.

but K's whole program is built on one and dones, that will not be fair to Duke

Coach K can & will adapt to whatever is out there. That is why he is the best college coach of all time and has won 5 national titles and been to 12 Final Fours. He won in the early 90's with 4 year players. He won in 2015 with one & dones. It won't matter as long as he is still coaching.

Coach K can & will adapt to whatever is out there. That is why he is the best college coach of all time and has won 5 national titles and been to 12 Final Fours. He won in the early 90's with 4 year players. He won in 2015 with one & dones. It won't matter as long as he is still coaching.

Meh, he wont be around too long once this goes into effect.

Thinking out loud here
NBA draft is expanded several more rounds, but it's expected (like baseball) that most kids go through the minor/G league for a year or two and a lot of kids wouldn't make it to the NBA
Signing day is before the NBA draft so kids commit to school before the draft
If a kid decided to go "pro" instead of school then the school gets docked that scholarship for a year and has to offer that player X years of free education to be used within X number of years (although they won't be able to play ball, just free school)
I'm sure there are a number of reasons this wouldn't work, but it'd be interesting and would definitely shake up recruiting if you thought a guy was one and done or was going to go right out of HS.

Or maybe the NCAA should just come up with a model that accounts for the changes in the game, the competition, and revenue over the last 50 years.

The simpler the better. If the NCAA refuses to share revenue with student-athletes then at least get rid of all these convoluted rules. I’m in favor of allowing schools to offer a basketball scholarship to any student who is properly enrolled, attending classes, and progressing towards a degree. No restrictions on player movement and no other limits on eligibility.

If a school offers anything other than a scholarship or contacts student athlete’s at another school then the school gets punished, not the player.

That’s it. Your European team paid you a stipend when you were 17? who cares. You didn’t get drafted out of high school? Come on down. You fizzled out of the G-League? Great, we’ll take you. You’re Lebron James and you want to go get your undergrad, law degree, and Ph.D and play college ball until you are 50? Sure, why not.

If most of the Top 20 go pro, recruiting will be much more balanced. When you get past those guys, there's a lot more hit and miss. I like Wright and Izzo if this happens over everyone. They seem to be the best in the country at picking talent in the #20-60 range.

I think a change to how rookie contracts were structured/counted towards the cap would help with that. I’m not sure exactly what it would look like but you can create space and incentive for teams to send guys to the G-league

Interesting thought. Rookie contracts are similar and don't count towards the cap for two years? Puts each team on a level cap playing field. You know first contracts start counting in year 3 and plan accordingly. If a kid is really good and you want to extend them cost kicks in immediately.

Interesting thought. Rookie contracts are similar and don't count towards the cap for two years? Puts each team on a level cap playing field. You know first contracts start counting in year 3 and plan accordingly. If a kid is really good and you want to extend them cost kicks in immediately.

Something like that. I was thinking that for first two years cap hit is tied to the amount of time spent in each league.

Back