• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA One & Done Rule

HugeDeacFan

Reaction score
Based on comments by Adam Silver in a press conference yesterday, it appears as though the "one and done" rule is going to come to an end in the next couple of years. So, kids will once again be able to enter the draft straight from high school. Will be interested to see how this impacts the game and especially impacts the blue bloods from a recruiting standpoint.

VERY interesting note is that the NBA will basically have one "double draft" where there will be one and dones + kids straight out of high school

I think I heard that NBA teams are assuming it will be 2021 or 2022, so still a few years out but it's impacting the trade market now as teams are hesitant to move first round picks in the zone of potential "double drafts"

Ugh. Can’t think of a current player besides Lebron who was or would be a high level player in his first year out of HS. Neither of the top two ROY candidates were even in their second year out of HS.

Would love to see it be like baseball but have to stay 2 years, go to draft out of HS or stay 2 years in college.

Ugh. Can’t think of a current player besides Lebron who was or would be a high level player in his first year out of HS. Neither of the top two ROY candidates were even in their second year out of HS.

I imagine the hope is that the G-League is established enough by now that teams will actually use it as a developmental alternative to college, even for first round picks, rather then throwing guys who aren’t ready into starting roles this diluting the product.

I don't know what you consider "high level" but I think there are a few that could have played right out of HS and contributed. OJ Mayo, Rose, Wall. None of those guys played on great teams as rookies but I think if they were on a playoff team I think they would have contributed at a high level. I'm sure there are a few others. But certainly rare. Tatum this past season is another example IMO.

I also don't know why a player has to be "high-level" in his first year out of high school. All of these players mentioned were just wasting away a year in college.

I also don't know why a player has to be "high-level" in his first year out of high school. All of these players mentioned were just wasting away a year in college.

“Wasting away” by being on TV 30+ times, learning how to play the game, and for some finding out they need to stay in school and they aren’t ready for the NBA.

“Wasting away” by being on TV 30+ times, learning how to play the game, and for some finding out they need to stay in school and they aren’t ready for the NBA.

Do you think players "learn to play the game" better in college, with inferior coaching and limited practice hours, or in the pros, with better coaching and unlimited practice?

Dwight Howard started 82 games and averaged 12 ppg as a rookie big man.

I would imagine it will be something like baseball where they can go right out of high school or have to stay 3 years in college. That would also get it close to what football is with the 3 year rule [but no high school entry]. Then they have a very defined minor league set up like the G-League so they can develop these kids who think they: A-have a real chance at the pros & B-don't really want to go to college.

Do you think players "learn to play the game" better in college, with inferior coaching and limited practice hours, or in the pros, with better coaching and unlimited practice?

The argument for staying in school almost always seems ignore that aspect.

They don't have to be high level, but it also hamstrings the league as a whole if there are a whole crop of guys using up 1st round pick salary cap slots and roster spots who don't get off the bench. Yes they develop in practice and via workouts, but that is a different type of development than in-game experience development. And while the star players will ultimately get plenty of game time, it certainly impacts the bench play. Do you want a guy like VanVleet with tons of game experience coming off your bench or a young JR Smith who may have been more talented but had no idea how to play in a game and has to learn on the fly?

I don't think it is a coincidence that the quality of the NBA generally sucked in the early 2000s while the great flock of straight-from-high-school were in their prime and has increased tremendously as those guys have phased out.

Depends if you value practice experience over game experience.

Back