• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kupcho is competing in the US Women's Amateur

She's listed as an amateur. Is she coming back to Wake?

Dang that is impressive...she is the real deal Holyfield. She's apparently coming back to get her degree (love her Wrangor, love her!). I don't believe winning as an amateur would even change that, think she promised her folks?

On course reporter asked after the round if winning would change her plans for the future? She said that she didn't want to think about that now. Not a rousing affirmation.

She's going to be so good when she grows up.

On course reporter asked after the round if winning would change her plans for the future? She said that she didn't want to think about that now. Not a rousing affirmation.

I'm not reading much into that....getting asked that question after the third round is a bit awkward as an amateur. Certainly winning would change things and if she had won that's an easy decision to go pro since she would immediately have full status.

I'm not reading much into that....getting asked that question after the third round is a bit awkward as an amateur. Certainly winning would change things and if she had won that's an easy decision to go pro since she would immediately have full status.

I agree. She may have been a bit surprised that she was in contention at that point. At any rate, it was good to see her play so well in a professional event and to see her decked out in WF stuff for the final round. I think she comes back.

She would have made around $21k+ for her T16 finish had she been a professional last week. That tournament was one of the smaller purses on the LPGA it seems.

Who knows what the cutoff mark is for going pro v. returning for a senior year to Wake.

She would have made around $21k+ for her T16 finish had she been a professional last week. That tournament was one of the smaller purses on the LPGA it seems.

Who knows what the cutoff mark is for going pro v. returning for a senior year to Wake.

I wouldn't think about that decision in terms of dollars - a win would have given her full status on the tour to play when and where she wants (her obvious goal when done with school), unlike when Will left this fall and has no status and is playing off of exemptions occasionally then fighting his way up to the tour through Q school/web.com/etc. It's a bit different with Kupcho since she's the top amateur in the world - when she goes pro she will likely have an easier time getting exemptions to earn enough for her card without the other steps.

Yeah obviously playing in the tournament is worthwhile, I meant the calculus of if she were to go pro right now, make cuts, and get paid versus returning to college - not in hindsight for this one tournament.

FWIW, here are Will Zalatoris stats so far this year:

5 PGA Starts; made 1 cut; $14,874 (and that is gross and does not count the cost to travel and all related expenses)

Bizarre decision for Zalatoris to skip the last semester his senior year to hope to make it big on the PGA tour using the limited number of sponsor exemptions available (which he could've used after the college season ended anyway). The net result was bad for both WF (which just missed the ACC title; he could've made the difference; and then failed to get out of the NCAA regional, when again, Zalatoris could've made a difference) and for Zalatoris, who is no closer to getting his PGA tour card than he would've been had he stayed.

Got bad advice from his handlers. Probably will never get a degree now.

Heard from Ryan Potter (assistant coach) a few weeks ago that she was planning to come back. Hope that holds up. they could be awesome next year.

Apparently there are a lot of golf courses in Thailand. Who knew?

Apparently there are a lot of golf courses in Thailand. Who knew?

The Jutanugarns, Jaidee, Aphibarnrat, Phatlum and Khongwatmai to name a few. Jaidee has been around forever, but there are a bunch of talented young Thais who have come out this decade. The barn rat has been a fixture on leaderboards the last 2-3 years, and Ariya reached #1 for the 2nd time, and this year will probably be her 2nd POY award. And I saw this Khongwatmai kid a year or so ago in a Euro event, and though he's tiny, he looks like he could have a lot of game - think he's like 18 now. I'd also guess that Thailand has a lot of courses because it's such a tourist mecca, or as 1 of my friends put it who has been there, adult disneyworld.

Back