• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Under-Appreciated Deacons

Craig Dawson seemed adequately appreciated during his playing days, but doesn't get enough love after the fact. Same with Jamaal Levy.

During his senior year Levy got talked about so much as being underrated that he was overrated.

Doral Moore was a double-double machine his junior year, set a school record in FG%, and is 12th in school history in blocks and didn't even get All-ACC Honorable Mention. Talk about under appreciated!

Billy Packer was the driver of the final four team. He gets very little love on here because of his broadcasting career.

True - Chappell/Packer was as big then as Duncan/Chill were 30+ years later. As Sophs, beginning their new varsity career, Packer was the headliner as Wake won the Dixie Classics in Dec 1959 (beating UNC). Lenny eclipsed him over time (Wake lore) just as Tim eclipsed Chill, but Packer was a very important part of both our Final 8 and Final 4 teams.

I'm young but I would say, Taron, O'Kelley, LD and Mckie.

Travis is the only college player to ever spend all four eligible collegiate years under Buzz, for that he deserves a medal.

Strangely enough, Rusty LaRue...obviously was the ESPN media darling for being a 3-sport "star", but man he was clutch many times his senior year, hitting huge 3's at opportune times to recapture momentum, end a scoring drought or simply stick the dagger into another team's hopes of a late comeback. Plus, he was always solid handling and protecting the ball when we needed that other mature, calming influence guard to leverage Randolph in tight spots. I feel like we haven't had that type of player -- other than Taron -- for the longest time.

My point of reference is the 11 who have banners on the Wake Verbal Commits page. I don't take into consideration any post-Wake accomplishments. But I agree that Darius is in the conversation.

I feel like post-Wake accomplishments influence whether or not we appreciate them more post-Wake.

For example, if JGray had an NBA career like Teague, people would be calling for him to get his jersey retired.

I've been trying to come up with a list of guys who, as a team, could hang with a team of the top 10 (in other words, win at least one game in a best of seven series).

Assuming their college prime, there is no team of guys that played for Wake that could beat the likes of CP3-Childress-Howard-Rogers-Duncan with Davis, Hemric, Brown, Griffin, and Mugsy coming off the bench.

Len Chappell just got to his grave but he’s rolling after that that Juice post.

Jerry Schellenberg.

Averaged double digits with shooting percentage of about 48%

Last edited:
Len Chappell just got to his grave but he’s rolling after that that Juice post.

Hemric, Chappell, Packer -- all those pre-integration dudes are interchangeable in my head. Put Hemric on the list because I don't really know the difference between any of them.

Assuming their college prime, there is no team of guys that played for Wake that could beat the likes of CP3-Childress-Howard-Rogers-Duncan with Davis, Hemric, Brown, Griffin, and Mugsy coming off the bench.

I like this way of thinking about it. The problem is Duncan. With an elite center, Teague, Gray, JJ, and Aminu could maybe steal one game out of seven against your starting five (maybe), but who's going to guard and/or score on Duncan? Collins? Chappell? Songaila? Bench could also be a problem.

PG Jeff Teague
SG Justin Gray
SF Al-Farouq Aminu
PF Rod Griffin
C Eric Wiliams

PG Frank Johnson
SG Craig Dawson
SF James Johnson
PF Darius Songaila
C Anthony Teachey

That's just based on positions they played at Wake with a little fudging for Johnson and Aminu.

There's no good matchup with the top starting lineup. Can't go small because Howard would give Johnson/Teague/Gray fits even if AFA and JJ could give Duncan and Rogers fits inside. Duncan neutralizes Darius' post efficiency and face up game if you play him as a stretch 5.

PG Jeff Teague
SG Justin Gray
SF Al-Farouq Aminu
PF Rod Griffin
C Eric Wiliams

PG Frank Johnson
SG Craig Dawson
SF James Johnson
PF Darius Songaila
C Anthony Teachey

That's just based on positions they played at Wake with a little fudging for Johnson and Aminu.

There's no good matchup with the top starting lineup. Can't go small because Howard would give Johnson/Teague/Gray fits even if AFA and JJ could give Duncan and Rogers fits inside. Duncan neutralizes Darius' post efficiency and face up game if you play him as a stretch 5.

I wouldn't consider any of those guys "underappreciated."

I wouldn't consider any of those guys "underappreciated."

Right. But we're talking about a group of players who could possible challenge 10 of the 11 retired jerseys.

Back