• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Under-Appreciated Deacons

tagsfan

Reaction score
I think there is a definite consensus on who are the top ten or so players in Wake BB history. I've been trying to come up with a list of guys who, as a team, could hang with a team of the top 10 (in other words, win at least one game in a best of seven series). So far, I have Frank Johnson at PG and Gil McGregor up front. Who else do you consider to be no worse than second tier players who don't get the recognition they deserve today?

Help me out. Where is the line dividing appreciated and under appreciated?

Banners? Wake HOF?

For example, I don’t think Darius Songalia gets enough due but he had an 8 year NBA career and won Olympic bronze.

Trelonie Owens. Part of the Rogers/Childress class and got better every single year. Also, I think we forget how money Justin Gray was his first three years, beause of the struggles his senior year, when he had to play the point.

Edit - I'm not saying either of these guys are in the 10-15 best Wake players of all time. Just guys that are a little forgotten.

JGray was all-Rookie then made All-ACC three times. I don’t think we’ve had many players who did that.

Billy Packer was the driver of the final four team. He gets very little love on here because of his broadcasting career.

Kenny Green. Ended up being a 1st round pick of the Washington Bullets.

CJ Harris. Poor guy had to carry the entire team for four years.

Robert O'Kelley probably deserves a mention here. His career was both under-appreciated and a bit disappointing.

Help me out. Where is the line dividing appreciated and under appreciated?

Banners? Wake HOF?

For example, I don’t think Darius Songalia gets enough due but he had an 8 year NBA career and won Olympic bronze.

My point of reference is the 11 who have banners on the Wake Verbal Commits page. I don't take into consideration any post-Wake accomplishments. But I agree that Darius is in the conversation.

Craig Dawson seemed adequately appreciated during his playing days, but doesn't get enough love after the fact. Same with Jamaal Levy.

Back