• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 greatest films of all time

Surprised at how few I've seen. Only 20, as near as I can tell. That list is very different from the AFI lists.

You've never heard of Tarkovsky and you call yourself a hipster? Shame.

Suprised Stalker edged out Solaris, if you had to pick a Tarkovsky.

I've seen 27, own 23. 10 or so of those films are damn near impossible to find, streaming or otherwise.

You’re telling me that only five or so of the best fifty movies were made in the last 40 years? Yeah, okay.

You’re telling me that only five or so of the best fifty movies were made in the last 40 years? Yeah, okay.

100 years of movies means approximately 5 per decade, which would mean 20 should be from the last 40 years. Then you look at the shit that has come out in the last 40 years and realize that 5 might be overstating it. The last 10-15 years have been nothing but superhero movies and remakes, so that time is pretty much lost. Honestly, what from the last 40 years would you consider to be a top 50 movie? The late 70s and 80s were most a wash of bad movies. The 90s were pretty good. Most of the 2000s has been dreadful.

I'd like to know how Vertigo got to be better than Citizen Kane over time.

And the loser is – Citizen Kane. After 50 years at the top of the Sight & Sound poll, Orson Welles’s debut film has been convincingly ousted by Alfred Hitchcock’s 45th feature Vertigo – and by a whopping 34 votes, compared with the mere five that separated them a decade ago. So what does it mean? Given that Kane actually clocked over three times as many votes this year as it did last time, it hasn’t exactly been snubbed by the vastly larger number of voters taking part in this new poll, which has spread its net far wider than any of its six predecessors.

100 years of movies means approximately 5 per decade, which would mean 20 should be from the last 40 years. Then you look at the shit that has come out in the last 40 years and realize that 5 might be overstating it. The last 10-15 years have been nothing but superhero movies and remakes, so that time is pretty much lost. Honestly, what from the last 40 years would you consider to be a top 50 movie? The late 70s and 80s were most a wash of bad movies. The 90s were pretty good. Most of the 2000s has been dreadful.

American cinema peaked in the ‘70s

Just like music

As time goes on it’s harder and harder to make a greatest of list

Back