• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 greatest films of all time

I might be a movie snob compared to people who watch literally everything and buy every shit B horror title that comes out at walmart every week. I'm snobbish about people who say movies are for escapism - the type of people who get angry at movies with ambiguous endings.

I tend to like endings that defy convention, whether ambiguous or unhappy. Doesn't mean every story needs it or should have it, but when it works it works. One of my favorite "romantic" movies is Remains Of The Day because no romance happens. Plus Anthony Hopkins in his prime. Fucking perfect.

Similarly, escapism has its place. Doesn't mean I need a Marvel Universe movie every month. I'll go see one every now and then, but not to see an Oscar-caliber performance.

Being married has taken a lot of my movie freedom away. I can't watch a movie that she doesn't want to watch, and my watching time is far more limited.

When I worked at the video store I definitely felt like a movie snob. There are so many dogshit B-movies that come out every week that people just mindlessly gorge themselves on. At one time this winter we had 5 Antonio Banderas straight to dvd movies on the new release wall and customers would just dutifully rent each one, solely for the fact that it was a "new movie". I would try to point out classic movies I thought would interest them more, or even just the less recent $1 rentals that were critically acclaimed, but no, they only wanted the freshest crap we had.
"Oh, you want the movie where John Cusack is an assassin? Or is he a CIA agent? bank robber? Sorry, there were 12 different dog shit John Cusack movies that came out this year where he wears dark sunglasses and shoots a gun, so ill need you to be more specific".

So yeah, I guess i'm kind of a movie snob.

When I worked at the video store I definitely felt like a movie snob. There are so many dogshit B-movies that come out every week that people just mindlessly gorge themselves on. At one time this winter we had 5 Antonio Banderas straight to dvd movies on the new release wall and customers would just dutifully rent each one, solely for the fact that it was a "new movie". I would try to point out classic movies I thought would interest them more, or even just the less recent $1 rentals that were critically acclaimed, but no, they only wanted the freshest crap we had.
"Oh, you want the movie where John Cusack is an assassin? Or is he a CIA agent? bank robber? Sorry, there were 12 different dog shit John Cusack movies that came out this year where he wears dark sunglasses and shoots a gun, so ill need you to be more specific".

I hear what you're saying, but did you just shit on both Gross Pointe Blank and ConAir (ok, I'll give you the latter)?

Kind of surprised There Will Be Blood wasn’t listed. That’s a film that perfectly describes America.

I hear what you're saying, but did you just shit on both Gross Pointe Blank and ConAir (ok, I'll give you the latter)?
Neither of those are straight to dvd shit movies. I actually like John Cusack, but around 5 years ago he just started taking every trash paycheck role he could get.

YOU WORKED AT A VIDEO STORE!!!????

This is a much more interesting list IMO
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/oct/20/drama-arthouse-25
The 25 best arthouse films of all time:

1) Andrei Rublev
2) Mulholland Drive
3) L'Atalante
4) Toyko Story
5) Citizen Kane
6) A Clockwork Orange
7) Days of Heaven
8) Fanny and Alexander
9) The White Ribbon
10) The Gospel According to Saint Matthew
11) Aguirre, Wrath of God
12) Pather Panchali
13) The Conformist
14) Death in Venice
15) The Godfather
16) The Graduate
17) There Will Be Blood
18) Battleship Potemkin
19) The Rules of the Game
20) Shadows
21) Distant Voices, Still Lives
22) The Passion of Joan of Arc
23) La Dolce Vita
24) Breaking the Waves
25) The Spirit of the Beehive

I couldn’t get into Aguirre, Wrath of God.

I've never really gotten into any of Herzog's fiction feature films -- I love his docs -- but there is a cool Les Blank documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo called Burden Of Dreams, if you want to see anything about the process. What a fucking maniac, I love him.

Back