• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime day

My wife still uses it all the time but my feelings towards Amazon have darkened in the last year or two. I'm worried that the company is becoming our generation's Standard Oil. I would like to live a life where my family becomes far less dependent on Amazon.

I guess I should have asked a specific question.

Anyone finding any interesting Prime Day deals today?

Just bought a couple of car seats since our son is now too big for his infant seat

I was going to pick up a fancy cutting board but waited too long and now it’s sold out.

lol

I picked up the Ring Pro doorbell for 169.00 and it came with the Amazon Echo Show 5 for free. Also picked up two of the Ring floodlights + camera for 189.00 each that also came with free Echo Show 5's.

I already have the alarm system installed from last year so this completed the "package". There's a guy at work that said he'd give me 25.00 each for the Echo Shows if I couldnt find a place for them in the house.

lol

I picked up the Ring Pro doorbell for 169.00 and it came with the Amazon Echo Show 5 for free. Also picked up two of the Ring floodlights + camera for 189.00 each that also came with free Echo Show 5's.

I already have the alarm system installed from last year so this completed the "package". There's a guy at work that said he'd give me 25.00 each for the Echo Shows if I couldnt find a place for them in the house.

yeah we also bought the Ring Alarm last year and I'm trying to decide which doorbell to get.

Yeah, I waited too long on some toys and the deals went away. My wife is not happy with me.

Lady, we have two more months until Christmas. It's not in any way a big deal.

My wife still uses it all the time but my feelings towards Amazon have darkened in the last year or two. I'm worried that the company is becoming our generation's Standard Oil. I would like to live a life where my family becomes far less dependent on Amazon.

The service that Amazon provides is great. It's not great that it's some weird vulture albatross that made one man so wealthy that his divorce settlement made his ex-wife the wealthiest woman in the world and he's still worth over $200 billion. If we could get an Amazon that didn't exploit labor, businesses, and logistics, that would be great.

Last edited:
The service that Amazon provides is great. It's not great that it's some weird vulture albatross that made one man so wealthy that his divorce settlement made his ex-wife the wealthiest woman in the world and he's still worth over $200 billion. If we could get an Amazon that didn't exploit labor, businesses, and logistics, that would be great.

I think the issue is the Amazon can’t exist without that exploration.

Bezos has made enough money in the past 6 months to pay every Amazon employee a $100,000 bonus.

I do think Amazon should pay some sort of infrastructure tax considering their outsized role in using (and degrading) said infrastructure.

We live by a distribution center and it’s insane driving by in the morning. I’m fairly certain they built a gas station (across the street from two others) just based on Amazon traffic.

The new gas station brought in a Bojangles so Amazon is good in my book.

Bought 65 inch and 50 inch Insignia 4K Smart/Fire TVs for $650 TOTAL. It's just absurd how cheap TVs have gotten. My last TV purchase many years ago was like a mediocre 52 inch plasma for $1200.

I do think Amazon should pay some sort of infrastructure tax considering their outsized role in using (and degrading) said infrastructure.

We live by a distribution center and it’s insane driving by in the morning. I’m fairly certain they built a gas station (across the street from two others) just based on Amazon traffic.

The new gas station brought in a Bojangles so Amazon is good in my book.

Those trucks don't run on love and happy thoughts, they run on diesel which is taxed, to pay for infrastructure and at rates higher than gasoline because it's traditionally (in the US) only used by used by big rigs and a few full sized trucks. It's taxed at higher rates because those taxes don't directly effect the average person and trucks are harder on infrastructure. When things trend away from fossil fuels we'll have to see how the country/states collect those taxes to pay for infrastructure.

ah yes totally

3.14.2.fig1_.png

highways are essentially another subsidized handout to trucking/gas companies from taxpayers

ah yes totally

3.14.2.fig1_.png

highways are essentially another subsidized handout to trucking/gas companies from taxpayers

Federal gas tax is like 18.4 cents and the federal diesel tax is 24.4 cents (per gallon)
All that chart shows is how much more gasoline is consumed in the US than diesel.

Federal gas tax is like 18.4 cents and the federal diesel tax is 24.4 cents (per gallon)
All that chart shows is how much more gasoline is consumed in the US than diesel.

....which is the point. It's not like Amazon makes up for not paying corporate taxes by paying a slightly higher gas tax than your average consumer. The average consumer pays sales tax on top of purchase prices for most online sales and pays Amazon Prime to cover costs of diesel, and the taxpayer then subsidizes the roads and cost of diesel via direct oil subsidies as well, and allows Amazon to pay very little to nothing in overall tax liability. Then Amazon exploits millions globally so their owner can be the world's first trillionaire! Cool!

Back