• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime day

Bought 65 inch and 50 inch Insignia 4K Smart/Fire TVs for $650 TOTAL. It's just absurd how cheap TVs have gotten. My last TV purchase many years ago was like a mediocre 52 inch plasma for $1200.

I bought a 3D 60" in 2010 for ~$3,000. Way better TVs at Costco right now for $600. It's bananas.

....which is the point. It's not like Amazon makes up for not paying corporate taxes by paying a slightly higher gas tax than your average consumer. The average consumer pays sales tax on top of purchase prices for most online sales and pays Amazon Prime to cover costs of diesel, and the taxpayer then subsidizes the roads and cost of diesel via direct oil subsidies as well, and allows Amazon to pay very little to nothing in overall tax liability. Then Amazon exploits millions globally so their owner can be the world's first trillionaire! Cool!

I was addressing the Cav's comment on an "infrastructure tax" by saying that, fundamentally, the additional revenue from the fuel purchases by the trucks needed to move the goods (both Amazon trucks and outside trucking companies) is how that tax is supposed to be gathered. The activity should be paying for itself, but once they move away from diesel, then that will change as the diesel sales will decrease and the road wear will be the same (or increase).
That consumers pay a sales tax isn't really germane to the point I was making, nor was Amazon's labor practices or overall tax liability, even though those are in their own rights fun conversations to have (although probably too complex to be properly done on a message board). I was just saying that, at least in principle, the increased activity on the roads should pay for itself with more tax revenue generated from more fuel sales.

Also, for the record, but I am generally for low taxes, but I think the fuel tax (gas and diesel) should be increased significantly.

Last edited:
Fuel is just a cost of doing business that is built into the pricing. The consumer is the ultimate payor of that tax.

Fuel is just a cost of doing business that is built into the pricing. The consumer is the ultimate payor of that tax.

argument isn't about who is or is not paying tax on fuel

argument is whether the existing taxing program is sufficient to cover the infrastructure used by Amazon

Any cost is ultimately paid by the consumer
Amazon is no different than any other company. One mile driven with amazon goods is no more or less hurtful than a mile driven by any other vehicle.

Any cost is ultimately paid by the consumer
Amazon is no different than any other company. One mile driven with amazon goods is no more or less hurtful than a mile driven by any other vehicle.

Amazon Sprinter vans get lower gas mileage than most sedans. It would be an interesting exercise to compare gas used by an individual shopper going to a traditional store vs the Amazon on-line shopping and ship directly to consumer model.

Me: "Oh, hey guys! What did you all get on Prime Day?"

Also me:
abe-simpson-gif.gif

Grabbed a Kindle for the wife for under $100 (more than 50% off) which was nice since we'd been talking about getting a second one anyway. Also got like 6 books for my Kindle for $28 or something (saved over 50% there as well and these were books that had been on my to read list for a while so it wasn't just spending money I was never gonna spend which is how Prime Day gets you)

Amazon Sprinter vans get lower gas mileage than most sedans. It would be an interesting exercise to compare gas used by an individual shopper going to a traditional store vs the Amazon on-line shopping and ship directly to consumer model.

Going to the store, many times, results in multiple trips to different stores and sometimes coming back empty handed. I'd venture to guess returns to Amazon are a pretty low %. My guess is it's a wash for items you'd go to a store to buy something that is outside the normal shopping trips (TV's cameras...). I think were the Amazon model eats away at a carbon footprint is I but stuff ALL THE TIME from Amazon knowing I'll get them in the next day or 2. If Amazon was not available I may not make a trip to the store to get something misc like a kitchen sponge or a pair a scissors. I'd more likely make a list and go to the store to get several items at once.

Grabbed a Kindle for the wife for under $100 (more than 50% off) which was nice since we'd been talking about getting a second one anyway. Also got like 6 books for my Kindle for $28 or something (saved over 50% there as well and these were books that had been on my to read list for a while so it wasn't just spending money I was never gonna spend which is how Prime Day gets you)

I just can't transition to a Kindle, man. I need that tangible feel of a book, and I feel like I spend way too much time staring at a screen anyway.

Didn't see a whole lot I wanted for Prime day, so said fuck it... got a Blackstone Hibachi grill instead. Kinda pumped for it.

Didn't see a whole lot I wanted for Prime day, so said fuck it... got a Blackstone Hibachi grill instead. Kinda pumped for it.

Hell yeah, I actually picked up a cleaning kit on Prime Day for mine.

What's your first grill after seasoning it? Smash burgers? Hibachi? Breakfast? Cheesesteaks?

I definitely want to get one of these but I’m not sure where I would put it.

Picked up air pods for $114, some Halloween candy to take to work and give away, and some electric toothbrush heads.

I just can't transition to a Kindle, man. I need that tangible feel of a book, and I feel like I spend way too much time staring at a screen anyway.

The paper whites are great, but "bookmarking" notes that I never go back and read isn't as satisfying as jotting down thoughts in the margins that I also never go back and read.

Back