• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 11 ranked Wake Forest Recruits of the Dave Clawson era by Les Johns

TimmyClutch

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...t-recruits-of-the-Dave-Clawson-Era-119829533/

Fun article by Les on 247, couple quick thoughts:

Bo Archibald is one of those players who I always wonder what if. Haven't been able to find out what happened to him. I thought he was supposed to be part of USF, but never was on the team.

Dionte Austin, never really understood why he transferred.

Kyle Kearns, the lack of power 5 offers despite being a 4* always concerned me.

Defensive Backfield looks stacked for the future

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...t-recruits-of-the-Dave-Clawson-Era-119829533/

Fun article by Les on 247, couple quick thoughts:

Bo Archibald is one of those players who I always wonder what if. Haven't been able to find out what happened to him. I thought he was supposed to be part of USF, but never was on the team.

Dionte Austin, never really understood why he transferred.

Kyle Kearns, the lack of power 5 offers despite being a 4* always concerned me.

Defensive Backfield looks stacked for the future

Best part is the 2019 class is the best ever, ready to set us up for a major bowl game down the line.

"Kearns was continuing his college career at Highland Community College, but was involved in a vehicular collision with a tractor-trailer in November, sustaining several serious injuries."

I saw this a couple of weeks ago while looking to see where he might be playing. I really had high hopes for him as he seemed to be a true pro style pocket passer. I guess that's kind of hard to do if you don't have a line that can block. It would have been nice to see if he could have made the startling line up this year. He really had a nice touch on the long ball pass.
His stats at Highland CC did not look very impressive but they could be a run dominate team, who knows.

"Kearns was continuing his college career at Highland Community College, but was involved in a vehicular collision with a tractor-trailer in November, sustaining several serious injuries."

I saw this a couple of weeks ago while looking to see where he might be playing. I really had high hopes for him as he seemed to be a true pro style pocket passer. I guess that's kind of hard to do if you don't have a line that can block. It would have been nice to see if he could have made the startling line up this year. He really had a nice touch on the long ball pass.
His stats at Highland CC did not look very impressive but they could be a run dominate team, who knows.

We may actually get to see a little of Kearns in this seasons Last Chance U, as Highland played Independence in 2017. Though he only went 1 for 2 on attempts.

We may actually get to see a little of Kearns in this seasons Last Chance U, as Highland played Independence in 2017. Though he only went 1 for 2 on attempts.

Crazy that we all agreed that after that Clemson game where we were supposed to get blown out and instead kept us in the game with that brilliant night that he was going to become a great one for us.

We were all mistaken.

Are you being sarcastic?

Kearns wasn’t brilliant that night. He was 7-18 for 126 yards. Clemson got up big early and the game was never in doubt.

We won a bowl game with Kearns. Given more playing time and experience, he might have been pretty good. He certainly wasn’t a bust. He could throw the ball.

We won a bowl game with Kearns. Given more playing time and experience, he might have been pretty good. He certainly wasn’t a bust. He could throw the ball.

This is really a stretch. He handed the ball off to nurse a first half lead built by Wolford and the D/ST. Wolford injured his neck in the 3rd quarter and Kearns came in and went 4/10 for 60 yards and an INT.

Kearns was a complete miss by the recruiting services. He only had one real offer (SMU) and committed, but when the staff was fired and a Chad Morris took over, he dropped Kearns immediately. It was billed as a “mutual” break up, but that wasn’t really the case. It was nice to have such a highly ranked kid in the class, but he was definitely not better than many of our QBs like Wolford, Hartman, or Newman.

Kearns was a complete miss by the recruiting services. He only had one real offer (SMU) and committed, but when the staff was fired and a Chad Morris took over, he dropped Kearns immediately. It was billed as a “mutual” break up, but that wasn’t really the case. It was nice to have such a highly ranked kid in the class, but he was definitely not better than many of our QBs like Wolford, Hartman, or Newman.

This is all true. But that’s fine. He was a late commit when we needed a second QB. Despite his flaws, he was better than all the backup QBs we had behind Tanner Price. It’s a sign of how Clawson quickly upgraded QB depth. He was decent enough when he played.

To only have a week practice and to take us up and down the field against Clemson and the sure touchdown pass dropped, we could have won that game so easily. All of us were so excited after that performance but we were all wrong.

With the 7 or 8 yards per pass attempt which would have been 12-13 if not for the long ball drops we missed a great chance to beat Klempton.

I am going to predict right now that if those type balls are thrown against them this year our current crop of receivers make those catches and our guy goes 12-20 for 200 yards and three touchdowns.

Give the kid credit he stood up and answered all the questions and took the blame and left us to point out all the drops and missed blocking assignments and so on.

Is deaconbd some sort of parody account? If so, well done.

This is all true. But that’s fine. He was a late commit when we needed a second QB. Despite his flaws, he was better than all the backup QBs we had behind Tanner Price. It’s a sign of how Clawson quickly upgraded QB depth. He was decent enough when he played.

Did you really forget about Ted Stachitas that quickly? Teddy the Greek, the Florida QB who followed Tebow at Nease....

Kearns was a bust. He was an overrated prospect out of HS, and while that may have colored the perception of him as a college quarterback, fair or not, he did not come close to expectations. He was a 3rd string QB, who completed 13 of 35 attempts with 2 INT and 0 TDs. Say what you will about the competition he faced or dropped passes, but his stats are what they are. Remember also, in 15 and 16 Wolford wasn't exactly breaking records, Kearns had his opportunity. I hope he recovers from his accident and wish him the best in his career, but lets call his career at Wake what it was.

Also Last Chance U totally skipped the Highland game.

Did you really forget about Ted Stachitas that quickly? Teddy the Greek, the Florida QB who followed Tebow at Nease....

Kearns was a bust. He was an overrated prospect out of HS, and while that may have colored the perception of him as a college quarterback, fair or not, he did not come close to expectations. He was a 3rd string QB, who completed 13 of 35 attempts with 2 INT and 0 TDs. Say what you will about the competition he faced or dropped passes, but his stats are what they are. Remember also, in 15 and 16 Wolford wasn't exactly breaking records, Kearns had his opportunity. I hope he recovers from his accident and wish him the best in his career, but lets call his career at Wake what it was.

Also Last Chance U totally skipped the Highland game.

Program is in the upswing now but you hate it for those guys with the key drops otherwise we beat Klempton and Kearns is still starting and we’d be bringing in big-time recruits and favored to win the ACC this year.

We all agree classy that Kearns never complained about what could’ve and probably would have been.

Back