• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

1980 Lake Piegneur Disaster - How is there no disaster movie?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
This is an insane real disaster from 1980
https://youtu.be/ddlrGkeOzsI

So there is a 10ft deep freshwater lake in Louisiana, Lake Piegneur, with an active Diamond Crystal salt mine underneath. A nearby exploratory Texaco oil rig miscalculated and accidentally punctured the ceiling of the salt mine 1200 ft. down with a 14in drill bit. The 150ft oil rig and floating platform began to collapse, so the drillers abandoned it. Lake water rushes into the mine, flooding it and melting the salt dome. There are 55 miners inside the mine at the time who had to quickly evacuate.

On the lake surface a huge vortex formed that sucked down the oil rig platform, and began pulling in barges and a tug boat. Below, the salt dome above the mine collapsed, creating a massive underwater sinkhole. The sudden gravity and water surge broke apart the surrounding lake shore above, creating a land slide around the lake. 11 flat bed lake barges were sucked into the vortex, along with trees and buildings

After 3.5 hours the lake had drained completely into the vortex, and the vacuum caused the 12 mile long Delcambre Canal, running into Vermillion Bay (Gulf of Mexico), to flow backwards (!!!), which temporarily created a 164ft water fall, filling the new lake bed with salt water. The displaced air pressure from the flooded mine created massive geysers, some 400ft high. All of this went on for 2 days! After the water finally settled, the now salt water lake was nearly twice as large, and over 200ft deep. 9 of the 11 barges popped back up to the surface like corks. All in all, 65 acres of lake shore were sucked into the vortex in just 48 hours, along with big rig trucks, oil rigs, barges, tug boats, and multiple fishing piers.

How the hell have they not made that a movie?

Last edited:
well, im fine if we make a movie as long as it stars the Rock and an aging John Cusack wearing shades shooting a gun

I'd also recommend filming in the style of those 90s docu-series. Maybe see if that incredibly not-dynamic scientist and old fisherman are still around to reprise their roles

I'd love to see a movie about the Johnstown Flood. McCullough's book was pretty solid, and there's a nice track record of developing his content for film/TV (e.g. John Adams).

When I first moved to CA, I was doing some work with musicians. Almost all were black. If I drove, we never got stopped. We got pulled over at least 3-5 times for no reason at all when one of the black guys drove. It happened in various places from The Valley to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. One time they even screamed at us over the loud speaker near Universal Studios not to make any quick moves.

As recently as in the early 10s, I was in downtown HB with a couple of black friends I played basketball with for years. One is about 6'2, 200. The other is 6'5 about 225. Each has a graduate degree. We were walking down Main Street when two cops started following us. They followed us all the way to place we ate. When we came out, the same two cops followed us for a couple of blocks. I finally got pissed and said, "We're going to get some dessert at a certain place. We'll be inside for 30-45 minutes. You can keep following us after that."

When I first moved to CA, I was doing some work with musicians. Almost all were black. If I drove, we never got stopped. We got pulled over at least 3-5 times for no reason at all when one of the black guys drove. It happened in various places from The Valley to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. One time they even screamed at us over the loud speaker near Universal Studios not to make any quick moves.

As recently as in the early 10s, I was in downtown HB with a couple of black friends I played basketball with for years. One is about 6'2, 200. The other is 6'5 about 225. Each has a graduate degree. We were walking down Main Street when two cops started following us. They followed us all the way to place we ate. When we came out, the same two cops followed us for a couple of blocks. I finally got pissed and said, "We're going to get some dessert at a certain place. We'll be inside for 30-45 minutes. You can keep following us after that."

Nice story but how is that related to Lake Piegneur Disaster?

we’re gonna need someone to write the screenplay right?

Back